I Forge Iron

Blacksmith stuff for Christmas

Well, I am a happy man. Santa dropped off some cool stuff for Christmas...
An 8'' bench grinder, a 6 inch sanding station, 3-50# bags of coal, and best of all the book "New Edge of the Anvil" by Jack Andrews. After perusing the book today, I find it most informative and easy to follow, especially explaining the basic metallurgy aspects.

I guess being on the nice list pays off! :D

So... what did you get?

Happy Holidays!
Mark

My husband "kidnapped" my 25# Little Giant and drove 13 hours (one way) to take it to Sid at Little Giant. He had Sid pour new bearings, install a new set of combination dies and add a brake. All I have to do now is bolt it down, build a guard and wire it up. Sid told him the hammer had been well maintained and was in very good shape, now it is like new.

Two books, Besieged: Siege Warfare in the Ancient World, and Classical Weaponry of Japan: Special Weapons and Tactics of the Martial Arts. Which I guess would make that some sort of karate/kung fu S.W.A.T. team. :-D

A slitting chisel and a pair of 1/4" V-bit tongs. The tongs are on backorder however and I have no idea when they will arrive.

Also got a Barnes and Noble Gift card that I'm using tomorrow to buy the book Weapons, which covers almost every type of weapon used since the beginning of time, all the way up to current firearms and artillery.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Due to the weather since about late october, I've gotten about no smithing done. My forge is impossible to light when the coal is slightly wet, and I haven't had any opportunities to do any forging.
So here I was, thinking about how out of shape I'm going to be once I can forge again, and how I'm gonna need to find a shelter and build another forge that will work better. So here it is, Christmas Eve, and I open the huge heavy package under the tree for me.

forge1.jpg
And then in the other, smaller also heavy package we had this:

blower1.jpg
So the story behind them, is here in Eugene, we have something called the Saturday Market. Its a place where a bunch of hippies get together and have booths with handmade stuff and good food. There was a blacksmith there, one that Conrad thought wasn't very good. One day, he disappeared. He just left the market, and never came back. He abandoned his tools and setup. So the market found Conrad, and gave him the stuff.

So my dad wanted to get me a forge for christmas, and he called Conrad. Conrad gave him this one to give to me, and my dad bought the blower from a guy who sells forges and such on eBay.
My dad's other good news, is that he got an awning(like the kind people store there cars and stuff under for long periods of time). So now I have a decent forge, and even a way to keep out of the rain. Hopefully I can get back to work now.

That was my post in "It followed me home..." but it applies here, too.

I got a bunch of cool things,

MT Rishardson's Book

The Blacksmith's Journal

A Borris Vallejo and Julie Bell art book

The Far Side wall calendar and desk calendar

Tank Girl, Porco Rosso and Pom Poko DVDs

Some books on the samurai and swordfighting

A HOFI HAMMER FROM A VERY GOOD FRIEND OF MINE

The Ove Glove

some other very cool stuff too:).

A Christmas Mishap (or why my wife no longer buys me tools)
For a couple years in a row I dropped hints around christmas time (Example: "Gee honey, Harbor Freight has those handy little angle grinder's on sale" or "Wow, Sears has TiN split point drill bits on sell for Christmas") So after I got a finish sander and a set of spade bits, we decided it best that I just get gift cards. She means well....but she has about as much knowledge of my tools as I have of her medical office work....and sometimes it's better to keep it that way ;)
-Aaron @ the SCF

My fiancee, a very understanding woman, got me a bench mount drill press. My father, a retired tool and die maker, got me a tap and die set and a set of 115 different drill bits. :)

Wadda ya gonna do with 115 different drill bits? I heard there are only like 12 or so different sizes of holes in blacksmithing...

Just kidding LOL...

L

I got a bunch of cool things,

MT Rishardson's Book

The Blacksmith's Journal

A Borris Vallejo and Julie Bell art book

The Far Side wall calendar and desk calendar

Tank Girl, Porco Rosso and Pom Poko DVDs

Some books on the samurai and swordfighting

A HOFI HAMMER FROM A VERY GOOD FRIEND OF MINE

The Ove Glove

some other very cool stuff too:).

wow thats a nice haul and i see that you like Studio Ghibli. too

I feel almost guilty for what was waiting under the tree for me this year...

My Birthday I got a class with Dale Morse. default2

Christmas:
2.8# Ozark School of Blacksmithing rounding hammer
8 pairs of assorted "Tom Tongs" from Blacksmith Supply
9 mini anvils
Ozark School of Blacksmithing striking hammer
DVD of the Friday night demo of Quad State (striking demo)
cool swage with leaf veins, and other shapes all on one

The coolest thing was watching Mike (yesteryearforge) work with his grandson all day yesterday...that was really special!

I am a lucky guy to have such a great wife, and in-laws! They made this year really special! I would say the best ever.

Peyton

Thanks:D. Yeah, I now have Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Pom Poko, and Howl's Flying Castle. I am a MASSIVE studio Ghibli fan.

ive seen all of thoses and they was great and do you have turners classics movies channle on your cable because from time to time they have a marathon
of Hayao Miyazaki of studio Ghibis movies

ive seen all of thoses and they was great and do you have turners classics movies channle on your cable because from time to time they have a marathon
of Hayao Miyazaki of studio Ghibis movies

Yeah I saw all of his movies except the Cat Returns and one or two others when TCM did the marathon. It was awesome.