I Forge Iron

My most recent sword-ish blade.

Phillip Patton

I can offer not critisism on your sword. I love the design, how did you get that pattern? Do you have any WIP pictures?

Hi Tim,
It's basically a modified ladder pattern. You grind a series of X's along the blade, off-setting them from side to side. Then flatten and work as usual. I learned this pattern from one of Jim Hrisoulas' books. I forget which.

The blade was pre-shaped, and then the grooves ground in. The layout can be a pain with a leaf shaped blade like this....

I don't have any pics of the blade prior to heat treating, but here's a few:

122910-2.jpg

122910-3.jpg

122910-4.jpg

123010-1.jpg

123010-2.jpg

123010-3.jpg

123010-4.jpg

123010-5.jpg

Hello:

It was in book I by the way...nice clean welds...very even lines..my only "complaint"...and it's not any where near a valid one (It's a personal, totally arbitrary prejugdice of mine, I admit.....) is the use of a piece of plastic on a blade who's entire "presence" screams out for a highly figured hardwood, or dare I say the "I" word?? Ivory? for the grip.

Looks great...

JPH

PS: By the way I am stealing your idea on holding the guard in place for soldering....

• 4 weeks later...

Hello:

It was in book I by the way...nice clean welds...very even lines..my only "complaint"...and it's not any where near a valid one (It's a personal, totally arbitrary prejugdice of mine, I admit.....) is the use of a piece of plastic on a blade who's entire "presence" screams out for a highly figured hardwood, or dare I say the "I" word?? Ivory? for the grip.

Looks great...

JPH

PS: By the way I am stealing your idea on holding the guard in place for soldering....

Hey, the man himself! Sorry this reply is so tardy...

Good question about the handle material. The reason I didn't use something with more bling, is that this blade is actually a reject from another project. When I ground the grooves for the pattern, I didn't do the entire bar. The blade ended up being longer than I had planned, and this meant that the pattern does not continue onto the ricasso. There were no bad welds or any other fatal flaws, so I didn't scrap the blade, but it was not good enough for the commissioned piece I was working on, which is this one: http://pattonblades.com/shortsword.html

Thanks very much to everyone who commented!

Phillip

P.S. The guard holding jig isn't my idea originally, but you're welcome to it anyway. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hey, the man himself! Sorry this reply is so tardy...

Good question about the handle material. The reason I didn't use something with more bling, is that this blade is actually a reject from another project. When I ground the grooves for the pattern, I didn't do the entire bar. The blade ended up being longer than I had planned, and this meant that the pattern does not continue onto the ricasso. There were no bad welds or any other fatal flaws, so I didn't scrap the blade, but it was not good enough for the commissioned piece I was working on, which is this one: http://pattonblades.com/shortsword.html

Thanks very much to everyone who commented!

Phillip

P.S. The guard holding jig isn't my idea originally, but you're welcome to it anyway. ;)

Incredible pattern welding. Your work is fantastic. After looking at the short sword on your Site, the one that replaced this one, I truly like the blade posted here more. I see a more interesting Composition in the blade without the repeated pattern imposed upon the ricasso as well as the blade. This ricasso is defined. It's like a Peninsula jutting out into some crazy sea. Both are superbly crafted, but I really like the reject the best. And I, also think that the plastic handle doesn't deserve to embrace that blade.

Also, thank you so much for posting the detailed steps that went into the creation of this blade. Very clear.

• 1 month later...

complete bladesmith: forging your way to perfection is the book

Surprisingly, this book isn't available in the library system of my county. Nor the other two books written by Dr.Hrisoulas. :( They are definitely on my "must have" list. But in the absence of said books, I truly appreciate this thread. Though the descriptions aren't overly detailed, the pictures are very clear. Nor do I expect Mr. Patton to write a book in the space of this forum. I do get a sense of what is involved to some degree.

Besides, JPH has already covered this. It is just really cool to see it displayed here.

Robert

your library may not have them, as many do not carry these, but you can get a Inter-Library Loan aka ILL, ask them about it.

Hi Steve, Big fan of your work. That Katana was something else! I think that I've used the ILL extensively. Through my library I've been able to borrow many books not in my library. Bergen County, NJ seems to be weak in the area of Blacksmithing in general. I've borrowed books from many libraries in the system. I intend to purchase several of the books mentioned on this forum. It is better to build my own library of resources than to rely on material that isn't always available when needed the most. I've read Mr. Powers often quoted term ILL, so of course I had to find out what that meant. He is a veritable fountain of knowledge! I'd wager that his personal collection would shame the combined libraries of Bergen County.

Sorry, I didn't intend to hijack Phillips thread. I hope that he does another one. That must have taken a lot of effort. When you are in the moment, in the zone, it is hard to remember to take a picture. He presented so many high quality photos of a fantastic blade and shared some of his thought processes. So, again, Thanks Phillip.

Robert

I am sad to admit, that I have never met Phillip, even tho he lives about 8 miles from me. He seems to prefer working on these beautiful works of art of his to posting or socializing with our local smithing group. Maybe some day I will get an invite to his shop, or he will stop by mine, and then I can get to meet him (shameless hint)