I Forge Iron

Read me first

This section is a reference for tools and their intended use.

Please post one tool per thread so we can start a pictorial reference and discussion on each tool.

One tool, as in one example, or type with additional examples welcome? Is the delineation function, design, manner of use, or material used with?

An example Chisel:
metal or woodworking
for woodworking: hand tool, lathe tool
for metal: cold, hot, diamond point, etc...

I like the concept of this category.

Phil

• 5 years later...

I've not come across this type of gauges before, can we have more pics of one of them from other angles with dimensions please and details of the table from the lid,(can't quite make out the details from the photo)

I suspect either measuring or setting out usage but that's about as much as I can guess from the info provided except that the taper and pairing will not be insignificant!

I know it's a stretch these days; but what did Brown and Sharpe say they were?  

(Sometimes that works; sometimes a company will deny ever making an item that you are holding in your hands with their logo on it! My particular example, a WHAM-O pistol crossbow, they apologized and said that they had been sold twice since the item was made and the corporate memory had been lobotomized...)

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2016 at 10:49 AM, kbcshop said:

I have a set of gauges ( see pics ) which no one has been able to identify. Hopefully someone can help me id them. Thanks.

They definitely look like tapered hole gauges that can be used to force the required diameter into malleable metal after an initial hole has been made. Useful for adding holes to hang forged items from e.g. a single ended spanner.

• 6 months later...
On 2/23/2016 at 6:15 AM, PeterBD said:

They definitely look like tapered hole gauges that can be used to force the required diameter into malleable metal after an initial hole has been made. Useful for adding holes to hang forged items from e.g. a single ended spanner.

I know its been a while but figured I'd post anyway, those look like taper gages to me...I have seen similar sets at work (I'm a machinist) so hopefully you didn't force them into any holes.