I Forge Iron

Safer than anvil shooting?

I think the old man got it right in needing to not be afraid to die!

Probably is safer, at least for the spectators, as it is more controlled with a better defined area that is hazardous. All the bursts are the carbon burning out of the liquid cast iron. I wonder if they collect the cooled iron and if it turned to steel in the process.

Phil

ok you got my attention! Mommy I want one!! please!!! lol with as high and hard as he is tossing the molen metal I would imagine after hitting the wall and then falling back down that the metal has solidified enough to be as harmful as welding sparks. like welding sparks the falling showers of sparks will not be "safe" they are definately safer than having molten iron thrown at you directly.

Ahh Phil I think the *burst* is when the carbon has burned off and the iron burns in a great burst of sparks. At least that is what happened when I tried to pattern weld with some fine cast iron (bathtub pieces with the porcelain removed) in between some mild steel. (I was trying out a conjecture on how one type of ancient steel was made.)

At forge welding temps the cast iron was liquid and would hammer out in large drops that would arc through the air until suddenly they would burst into a spray of sparks. No decarb'd iron was left on the ground---which would have happened if it was just a variation on the Walloon process of making iron from cast iron.

They were using a cupola and so melting cast iron. I wonder if this is a leftover from Mao's great leap forward when everyone was encouraged to smelt and puddle in their backyards to produce metal for industry.

I was pretty impressed by the Chinese blacksmith's safety gear.A fun thing to try (read really dangerous) is some thermite on an old empty propane tank.
The cops for some unfathomable reason tend to frown upon this type of entertainment though!

One ofthe more fun exercises we did at the college welding class was Air-Arcing plates apart. LOTS of sparks, noise, and fun

I've done too much of that to think it was fun anymore.

I used to run a 1000 amp machine with 1/2 carbon rods.
it would though some sparks.

They set me up one time about 8 ft from the office door, "The Boss" came out and told me to keep the noise down. So I put my torch down, poured a cup of coffe and sat down. :)

He told me to get back to work! hehehe Ok.:)

Bill I think I'll pass on the demo, but thamks for asking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R_igOWwHlI

A coworker related how years ago at the Reno Air Races, they would camp out in what was then open desert. When it got dark someone would ride out on a ATV, and set out a milk jug of gasoline a few hundred yards out from camp, then light a road flare about 10' behind it, and in line with camp. Once they motored back to camp everyone would take turns shooting at the flare which was behind the gas. If someone nailed the gas jug the spray would hit the flare creating a huge fireball. This was a one time thing that night, as soon afterwards the Sheriff would be cruising by to see what was up. "Gee officer, we saw that too, and were wondering who did it." :D

Been there done it from Bp to SP to thermite to gas jugs. Now that we have matured anyone want to let their kids play that way? Got a confession from a sundy school teacher yrs ago. town kids formed 2 groups armed with up to deer
rifles. 20 yrs apart. shot 200 rounds and injuried no one. "just playing"
At 8 yrs old my bosses kids and mine could be handed a loaded handgun and told to make it safe and store it inna safe. If ya can't say the same sell or give away what ya got. Or at least change the combo. I did.
Ken.