I Forge Iron

Drawings and Blueprints, what are they worth?

Drawings and Blueprints  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Drawing or no drawings

• I have purchased drawings.
    • I make my own drawings.
    • I design on the fly.
  2. 2. What have you paid for drawings?

This is a question / poll regarding drawings.
1. Do you make your own drawings or purchase them?
2. How many of you just make everything on the fly?
3. Are there drawing that you wish existed but have been unable to find them?

I like to make drawing whenever possible. It's a lot easier to fix mistakes on paper than with material.

Yes to all. I have bought, borrowed, created my own, and downloaded drawings. As for making things on the fly, that is hard to answer as I can't recall making anything that I have not made, at least in part, before.

However, when I do find myself on unsteady ground, I make a model with playdough. Then I take that and transfer it to iron. I could take exact measurements, but for the kinds of things I make, that is seldom needed.

I used to be a professional product illustrator so I'm WAY burned-out on doing any kind of drawings - When I have to, I'll use Adobe Illustrator for making precise paper patterns.

If I'm doing repeat work, I'll make wood or metal patterns with any critical measurements written on them.

Customer provided prints run from very good to useless. Never purchased any,draw our own when necessary,#1 son does them cad when necessary,and makes fun of dad with the drafting board. H
owever an employee that can read prints, and produce parts to print is PRICELESS.

Rich, not from the admin side.

Blueprints are simply a way for the designer to communicate with the fabricator / builder, telling him what and how the designer wants things built or to look like when the fabricator / builder is finished. The value of the blueprints is how well they are able to communicate.

Thing I suspect you are right about the honest question. But the part that caught my eye is that the thread started with a box that does not tell who posed the question. Like where I write this it will put my name in the upper left hand corner like the rest of the posts. Jason replyed in the second box and it does carry his name.

This is a question / poll regarding drawings.

2. How many of you just make everything on the fly?
I only do this for VERY SMALL projects (grin).
I used to design on the fly but he flew off the handle (pun intended) and has not been back since. (Big Grin)

3. Are there drawing(s) that you wish existed but have been unable to find them?
YES !! The best drawings have been set on fire more than once. Welding or using Ox/Ac does that you know.
I have not seen the black 3 ring notebook with the burned edges for several months now. It is in the shop somewhere, I think, maybe in the truck or the house or....
maybe the fly took it with him. (grin)

I am the person who posted the poll and it was my first poll. Judging by the questions it seems I didn't fill out all of the info. I was just curious about the subject. I've had a couple of people ask me if I had drawings of my treadle hammer for sale. I have the ability to create 3D models, animations, and drawings just not the means to sell them. Like many people today I am looking for other sources of income these days and thought selling drawings might be one source. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way a money hungry type of person as I always lend a hand or provide information when I can. Just looking for ideas.

Jason

Judging by the questions it seems I didn't fill out all of the info.
The written word is funny like that, makes sense at the time but later it looks like only half the information got written down and posted. (grin)
Blueprints needs a subject, gates, buildings, factories, or a single candle holder. Many of us think on an industrial level, others on an individual level, and yet others on their own level. More information is better than less.

In the case of YOUR treadle hammer, does it work as drawn, your design or a modification of another design?

Hmm. I'll try this again. :) What I meant was judging by other peoples questions I though I didn't fill out all of the fields in the poll such as who created it etc. I just gave starting a new poll a shot and I didn't see anywhere to put a name. O well. As far as any other information missing that is not the case. It was meant to be a general poll about drawings in general. As far as my treadle hammer goes it's my own unique design. It's posted in the hammer section. The only thing missing from my drawing is the spring setup because I didn't know what I would need until I built that part. If I ever did offer any drawings they would be complete.

Jason thanks so much for letting us (me) know that one of us stareted the poll. I am not aparanoid person but just wanted to know about this poll a bit more..And I now think it is for sure a good idea andnot someone hiding in the shadows trying to pilfer away all of my top secret information to do I don't know wot with...Lol

Hmm. I'll try this again. :) What I meant was judging by other peoples questions I though I didn't fill out all of the fields in the poll such as who created it etc. I just gave starting a new poll a shot and I didn't see anywhere to put a name. O well. As far as any other information missing that is not the case. It was meant to be a general poll about drawings in general. As far as my treadle hammer goes it's my own unique design. It's posted in the hammer section. The only thing missing from my drawing is the spring setup because I didn't know what I would need until I built that part. If I ever did offer any drawings they would be complete.

Jason:

This is a good subject. I'll try and remember all your questions.

First, No, I've never paid for a drawing of any kind other than art.
Second, Yes, I draw my own. Heck, I took more than 6 drafting units and worked as a porofessional draftsman for a while so I draw. Both mechanical and CADD.

As part of the design process drawing is darned important. As said mistakes on paper are a lot less expensive all round than "realized" mistakes.

I use working drawings which are different than prints in they're usually on graph paper with dimensions in bite size segments and useful views. One of these days I'm going to have an opaque projector or similar so I can project drawings on the wall, floor, etc.

About your treadle hammer linkage video. Is this your interpretation of the Grasshopper linkage or your interpretation of the Watt linkage?

I've seen and drawn very similar treadle hammer linkages in the past though I haven't gotten far in construction. The big difference I see right off is how you have the return springs mounted. As with the Grasshopper you need to be aware of the shear and pinch points or it could be a REALLY dangerous machine.

I guess more important seeing as you say you do computer animation is this an animation or a video of a real device?

Great questions and nice treadle hammer.

Frosty the Lucky.

I use solidworks which is a 3d software. From the models I create drawings which in this case are actual views of the model in a paper size format. The animations I can create are of the actual models set in motion and exported as videos. It was a huge help in creating my hammer. My hammer is based on the Roberts linkage. I added some bars to it to give me the parallel movement. I'd say that everyone needs to be aware of any moving equipment or mechanisms yet we all see the videos of people doing things that make us cringe. I consider any and all machines including my hammer dangerous which is a good mindset to be in. Thanks for the compliment on the hammer and post.

Rich, your top secret information is still safe :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There, I have spent good few grand over the years on Autocad drafting services, not that I can't draw myself but a good draftie can hammer out drawings realy fast like heaps faster than me on the board. We then get them printed full size on A0 prints(not plueprint type but cheap photocopy print) it is just easier prior to plasma/profile cutting and checkin in real size prior to laser cutting.
We also stick the drawings to our s/s welding tables for ballustrade and gate designs and just copy the paterns.by overlaying, This really helps our employees that have technical skills but little "artistic" forte'
Sticking prints on corrugated cardboard(read old boxes) and mocking up also saves heaps of time and money so I don't begrudge spending bucks on the drafting side.
I also use the autocad drawings to get vinyl cutouts for acid etching dies for our presses and powerhammer you easily get the handcrafted look that is a mission with the milling machine. All the best Ian

Nothing wrong with paying a pro for his/er services and NOTHING makes a job go well like proper planning, including proper and appropriate drawings, templates, etc.

My position is what it is because I am a trained draftsman as well as a trained fabricator, machinist, equipment operator and self taught blacksmith so I do my own drawings.

Frosty the Lucky.

While I an blessed with a partner who is willing to get us solidworks. For yrs I delt with PCM (plasmacam)
Then turbo cad finally autocad 2000.Senior says here is the guy who makes the machine and the tools to make it work.
IE todays project. Mount a mix motor in a 1700 gal tank. Manhole has 9degree walls. Mixer weighs 80+lbs. 4" front to back with a curved lip. If the motor gets loose ya loose $28,000 in chemicals and maybe blow off the roof. Any
one want my job? BTW motor and shaft is over 7.5 ft long going thru a 20" hole at a 30 degree angle. Also the hole is 8 feet up. If no update tommorow I am toast.
Ken.