I Forge Iron

anvil pronounciation

Merriam-Webster
Pronunciation: \ˈan-vəl\
Function: Etymology: Middle English /[/ from Old English; akin to Old High German /[/ anvil; akin to Latin /[/ to beat — more at feltDate: before 12th century
a heavy usually steel-faced iron block on which metal is shaped (as by hand hammering)

No matter now you pronounce it, it is still a nice anvil.(grin)

No matter what i call then or how often. Haven't had one come yet.

Call it what you like, but the arrival of an anvil is directly proportional to the cost per pound being offered. Throw $2-$3 a pound CASH on the table and they start migrating your way. Doubling the amount of CASH on the table to $4-$6 a pound seems to cut the arrival time dramatically. It is all about the quality (CASH) and amount of the bait you use. Then comes the calling part, calling everyone your know and telling them your looking for an anvil, posting ads in the paper calling attention to your need for an anvil etc, tends to speed up the process. Do a forum search on the term TPAAAT for more information.

Well said Gelnn. As soon as I had what I needed I called my anvil collection good enough. Sure I pronounce them "anvels" according to the "Oxford New Compact on my shelf but still leave pronouncing Tuyere to those who who feel is's needed. I pronounce it Tweer for better or worse. As I recall it, not having looked it up again recently, I THINK it comes from the olde French meaning "To air."

For what my tree adled recollection is worth. :blink:

Frosty the Lucky.

Pronunciation is sure a funny thing, my mother always did the "warsh", my mother-in-law did the "wash",needless to say the two woman had a thing or two to say about that to each other. <_< I have heard "anvil" pronounced with an "i", "a" and "u" sound but no matter how you pronounce it, it's always better than a rock to beat your iron on. :blink:

Count yourselves lucky you don't have to say "tuyere" on a regular basis!

I used to belong to a Mountain Man/Muzzleloader club along with a Frenchman. I have had more coaching on the correct pronounciation of "tuyere" than any man ought to have to endure. :lol:

I am not sure what this has to do with the pronunciation of the word anvil, or even blacksmithing.
Seems like a good time to move on.

Note From Sam,
Hi Glenn, I'm sorry to have caused confusion or offense. The Shaw that I quoted referred to the way that the English (used to) judge each other by accent and vocabulary and was intended to be ironically disparaging of this. I would be grateful if you could pass this on to anyone who felt that it had any other meaning.

The thread had answered the original question and was starting to ramble. I closed it down so we could move on.
Thank you for your explanation. I have attached it to the bottom of the thread so all can see.
It is little notes like this that make the forum and thread more complete.
Glenn .