I Forge Iron

Simple tips for the shop

Naz

Here are a few tips(arangements) I like in my shop(garage).Simple but useful, the way I like'em.
Some I've seen somewhere, some were thaught up while waiting for that cold, thick piece of metal to get yellow.
If you have any that you find useful, please post them,I'm always on the lookout to make my life a little easier.

1-Rope tied up on each end of the screw handle. Eliminates that heavy noise when you drop the screw handle.

2-I put my propane forge on my coal forge table.The height is perfect, I have space to put some tools, etc... I still use the coal forge for demos or occasional forge welds at home but having close neighbors I try to spare them from the smoke and smell.(Can't understand why they wouldn't like it but I'm just playing safe).

3-Door(plate) I can put to keep more heat in the forge when the metal doesn't need to go through the other entrance. (I should weld one with pivots).

4-I use a small wood barrel as a tong rest.

5-The "grab and grind" support, I really like this one, the grinders stay pluged in the wall outlet and the vise is near by. I clamp whatever needs grinding , cutting ,cleaning or whatever in the vise, grab the grinder and go. I usually have three but blew the motor off one last week. This one(support) is a chromed piece of flat stock I had that was already bent but you get the idea.

6&7-Adjutable vise forks.(I used heavy angle iron with 3/4" round stock).

post-8684-12729352720832_thumb.jpg

post-8684-12729352886169_thumb.jpg

post-8684-12729353400166_thumb.jpg

post-8684-12729354154744_thumb.jpg

post-8684-12729356388213_thumb.jpg

post-8684-12729356562471_thumb.jpg

post-8684-12730070071858_thumb.jpg

I use a firebrick or a piece of kaowool to close down my forge. Better insulation than a plate.

I'm going to steal your adjustable bending fork for your vise. That is simple and slick. Thanks for sharing.

Phil

Right you are, that's what I'll be using from now on also , Thanks!
Naz

I use a gas grill "cart" for my propane forge, it holds 2 bottles of gas and can be wheeled closer to one work station or another as needed. I simply removed the old grill and bolted a piece of steel across where the grill used to be and place my propane forge on that.

If your forge is the correct height it's simple to make a support that slides in and out of the sq tubing the cart is made from.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i add charcoal powder to the anvil surface. it does not add carbon. but what it does do is it give me a better working time. it prevents heat being transferred from the hot iron to the anvil.

Not sure I agree with that, if there is enough on the anvil to really insulate, then its also a cushion for the working force.

I'm assuming the variable bending fork works by moving the tines laterally and tightening the jaws when at the required distance?
In the first pic they're not ready for use no?

Yup !!! That's the way to use yhem greenbeast.

BTW : I'm not the genius behind the adjustable bending forks.
I saw and made a pair and posted them here, glad you guys like the idea also !

Naz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

For those with both a hardie and a prichel hole and a vise on a wooden stump, grab a piece of rod and run it down the prichel hole and a tap or so into the stump. Do the same thing with another rod down through the hardie hole and into the stump. The rods should stick up 2 inches or more above the face of the anvil. Instant bending fork.

• 3 months later...

I use an old BBQ grill (grill removed) for my chop saw. Buid the base so that both shelfs on either side are level with the table of the chop saw.
This way it's easy to roll out side so you don't have to put up with the noise and dirt form it in your shop.