I Forge Iron

What's in a name

Another one for all you Master debaters...

I have had discussions with a friend of mine about what to call the place I work out of, shop or studio.

Seeing how I graduated from art school when I first started I called my place a studio, I learned real fast down here it was called a shop, and was teased a bit for being a little pretentious.

My sculptor friend has put it into class by, work supports the shop or the studio supports the work.

I am still unsure where I stand since my work supports my shop in which supports my artwork.

Maybe I should call it a shudio or a stop?

Really? A guy with your ability and reputation could call it his winky hole and everyone would smile and nod. But really a studio is where you think, design refine and explore and create. A shop is where you build those things. If it's one space I vote shop. I think blacksmiths have shops. If you want to be an artist I guess studio is the accepted lingo but either way I don't think what you choose will have any impact on how you are viewed. A rose by any other name my friend. Would smell just as sweet

I've always called my shop a shop, but sad to say, YD's right - Heaven knows that along with the actual work that comes out of our efforts, we also have to sell the "mood" of the whole art mystique so that the client can have a vicarious creative experience.

Really? A guy with your ability and reputation could call it his winky hole and everyone would smile and nod. But really a studio is where you think, design refine and explore and create. A shop is where you build those things. If it's one space I vote shop. I think blacksmiths have shops. If you want to be an artist I guess studio is the accepted lingo but either way I don't think what you choose will have any impact on how you are viewed. A rose by any other name my friend. Would smell just as sweet

Now I`ve REALLY got a problem!
The place I go to think,design,refine and create is kind small and has only one seat in it and has a Phi-Zappa poster tacked on the back of the door.When I turn the light on a fan comes on too.
What does that mean?

It doesn't smell like a rose.

My place of work I call many names depending on whom I'm speaking with or what mood I'm in... Usually it's the workshop. It has been referred to as the Studio, the Shop, the Smiddy, the Smithy, the Forge, the Blacksmith's, sometimes my Escape, and sometimes it's "The Cave" ... :) Why limit ourselves in this day and age where cleaners are "hygiene technicians" :)

Really? A guy with your ability and reputation could call it his winky hole and everyone would smile and nod.

Larry, I am almost always on the same page with you, but this time I think you missed the mark badly my friend. Really..."winky hole"? ;) So, by this logic when Mike throws some gala Arty event to show off his sculptures. Invites over some high brow guests. Springs for wine and cheese and a string quartet and instead of calling this an open Studio, or open forge or open gallery...now he has an open winky hole? :D

All joking aside, look, I'm one of those "art school guys" too, but YoungDylan has it right. It depends on who your client is. I often refer to my shoebox as a studio, sometimes I refer to it as a shop, but the bottom line is it's a place where work gets done and (hopefully) money gets made.
-DB

well when you say it like it sounds dirty. I wouldn't invite any of you to a party at my.... What I said
but you can all gather at my shop

yeah I guess I'll bow to the wise art school view on the matter. I am a lot of things. Refined ain't one of them

Seriously, I can barely type now because I'm laughing so hard....Hey wait a minute, I hope you didn't just call me refined!:o:angry:

When I had a place and was making "ART" it was a studio, when in the same space and making a trailer hitch for a truck it was my workshop. Now since you are an "artist" and primarily make your living making said "ART" it is a studio. I'm now making jewelry and there is a fellow name Michael David Sturlin and his definition of a studio for a jeweler is any place he performs his work whether it be on his lap out of a briefcase, on the kitchen table or occupying a complete room, that is the studio. I guess that my bench in this case according to him is my "studio" and not the whole house. :blink:
Oh yeah, and according to him I'm also a goldsmith even though I have never worked the stuff. If is smaller than your fist you are a goldsmith not a silversmith. Silversmiths make objects that are used in service at the table and other larger objects even though they maybe made of gold. <_<

Larry, I am almost always on the same page with you, but this time I think you missed the mark badly my friend. Really..."winky hole"? ;) So, by this logic when Mike throws some gala Arty event to show off his sculptures. Invites over some high brow guests. Springs for wine and cheese and a string quartet and instead of calling this an open Studio, or open forge or open gallery...now he has an open winky hole? :D

-DB

Dave,

I have actually had a party there, my 40th. The strings were provided by Ron and the hard times band from the local BBQ joint, pulled pork and whiskey was served, but what really got the guests was a 800# I beam suspended about 15' off the floor from a single pick point. Talk about spin the bottle...thats about as refined as I get.

My wife just reminded me about the sign she bought that hangs by the door.It says;
"NOBODY gets in to see the Wizard.No way, no how!"
So according to my "Master",I guess I work in the land of OZ.

When you come to visit,pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. ;)

Dave,

I have actually had a party there, my 40th. The strings were provided by Ron and the hard times band from the local BBQ joint, pulled pork and whiskey was served, but what really got the guests was a 800# I beam suspended about 15' off the floor from a single pick point. Talk about spin the bottle...thats about as refined as I get.

Call it whatever you want- Now THAT'S a party!

My wife the spinster has a spinning "studio".

I have a "Shop", "Smithy", "Forge", "Workshop" (in order of common use); but it's really an "atelier"! (actually it's a *mess*)

You know.... really what I should call mine... Is Home... I spend more hours a week there than my house by a large margin....

Here in Nashville if you call it a studio people might think your recording, j/k.
I've always considered myself a craftsman well fed and working at a shop, not an artist starving and depressed at a studio.
To me it seems a little pretentious calling my shop a studio it's really just a warehouse that I make things for people.