I Forge Iron

What's in a name

"not an artist starving and depressed at a studio".........I've known a few of those but I never considered them artists. I considered them "wannabees" buzzing or sitting about in a warehouse playing at being an artist or craftsman, they never quite started anything or finished anything but had a very nice education without the ability to do anything except apply for grants and talk art theory. If your intent in life is to make art then an artist needs a studio, if your intent in life is to be a fabricator then you need a shop and if your intent in life is to be a blacksmith you need a forge or smithy. Call it what it is. :blink:

You can be a fabricator, welder, blacksmith or artist and still be starving & depressed. Depression is a serious mental illness that requires treatment. B)

You all are lucky... I call mine "the back yard"... I have a small shop area off the back of the house, but thats where wood working and finishing happen, ... forging and heavy work goes on outside...

you can call it whatever you want. I refer to my house and land .45 acre as the Rez, on days off sometimes I don't leave the Rez.. it was for reservation... now maybe for residence...

I look at it this was .. if you are selling a $20,000 set of gates and chandelier set up that is very ornate it was made in a studio.... a dozen axes at $100 each were made in a shop. In my mind decorative artsy stuff comes from a studio, and utilitarian items come from a shop.

Now before you jump on me, I know it takes a lot of skill to make both types of items, but it is an appearance and inference thing. Would you buy a truck that came from the Ford studio?

Did DaVinci work in a shop or a studio? Probably a shop for his inventions and a studio for his paintings...

Yes I can waffle with the best of them, and I hold a degree in Theater... so maybe I have no idea what I am talking about... but thats what opinions are for..

BTW the winkie hole idea... though funny.. think about answering the phone like that... "Good morning this is Cbrann's winkie hole, what can we do for you today?" ... but the idea of a conversation got me laughing good!!

That is usuaully how I name something. Can you talk about it in front of Grandma, or in a crowded elevator at work, without causing problems?
Just a few thoughts..
Cliff