I Forge Iron

Vice and Stand

brianbrazealblacksmith

BP
Here's a vice and stand that LDW made. The vice was Lyle's grandfather's. We put it at a good striking height, 29". We had to make this horse head out of 2 1/4" round stock, and would not have been able to make it without the support that this setup gave us. It's pretty sweet

post-4954-12681096430185_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12681095826728_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12681094522794_thumb.jpgpost-4954-12681093155884_thumb.jpg!
It's the best vice setup I've ever worked on, and I've worked on many different setups.

post-4954-12681095103562_thumb.jpg

look very solid. The only problem I see is that it will not hold long bars as the plate sticks past the back jaw.Is this the case or is it just the photo.

I think its just the picture as the back jaw looks to be in line with the front of the mounting plate .
Brian can you post a picture showing the off set of the table to the vise jaws

Hi Brian!

Is the stand similar to the one you mentioned in another thread that you and your brother made for Tom Clark?

Rubén

It is similar, but this one has some improvements. The vice has been moved closer to the center of the equalateral triangle of the base. This was Lyle's idea, and it gives alot more support and backing. That is why we had to cut one side of the plate away so you can pass longer stock through like Southshoresmith noted, but it allowed for us to leave the right side with the table backing for upsetting and other things like installing wedges for hammers. I have since made racks and hooks for holding tools, but I have not taken any pictures yet. Lyle and I are going to Louisiana tomorrow to do a class and a conference, but I'll take somemore pictures when I have more time. This is the best vice setup I've worked on so far.

It is a very nice looking setup, well made and sturdy looking.

This is the best vice setup I've worked on so far

You said that twice so I am just wondering why that is? I am by no means questioning if it really is, just what in your opinion makes it so?

welder19

It is a very nice looking setup, well made and sturdy looking.

You said that twice so I am just wondering why that is? I am by no means questioning if it really is, just what in your opinion makes it so?

welder19

A post vice can be like an anvil, but it must be mounted securely, like an anvil. This stand is set up at a good striking heighth, and it can be anchored down very easily to concrete or the ground. I have worked on some good shop vices that had posts buried into the ground a good distance but none at striking height, and this one is portable. It is also mounted closer to the center of the equalateral base, and it does have the right side of the mounting plate for upsetting and installing hammer handles. All these things make it better than any vice and stand that I have ever worked on.

I am making an anvil stand that is going to look like the brother to this vise stand.After listening to Brian and striking for and with him, he has shown me the importance of having a rigid and stationary stand. If this stand can encourage someone to make theirs sturdier you will make Brian happy, I assure you. I think we need a bigger concrete slab though, since Brians anvil is secured to the stand as well as anchored to the slab, He still knocks things off the shelves and walls.

• 1 year later...

That's a great one if it must be "portable". I put it in quotes just to point out that it is boltted to the floor. Look at it this way, if the vise moves or bounces that hammer energy is going into making it move or bounce, not in moving the metal. I cut a hole in the concrete floor and dug down three feet. Then dropped the ash post in. She doesn't move at all. Plus no one had to knock it up!

post-1310-0-59724900-1332426953_thumb.jp

Brian,

What degree from vertical are the legs? Also is this more or less the same as you like for an anvil tripod? I remember that you like a steeper angle than the 22 degree commonly used for anvil stands.
. Karen and I are in the North Georgia mountains right now not far from you, and I didn't bring my vice this time. I am not sure what degree the legs are at, but they are not 8 degrees like the anvil stands. The vice has the post, so the legs can be splayed out more. They are not very far out there as to be a tripping hazard. I'll try and remember to measure when I get back home and get back with you.