I Forge Iron

How Cold Are You?

FE, Is your water and sewer bill combined? If so, The city has to assume that all the water that went through the meter, also went down the sewer. Often you can take a picture of the broken pipe and bring in receipts for the fix, and they will re-rate your bill for what it was last month.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bentiron-
It might be but a $1.50 plug and a 10 min. fix was all it took:D Phew! Could have been bad!

Mike-hr
Good idea on the pictures and water co. I might try that after I see what the increase is. I'm on septic so I only get it coming and thankfully not going...

When I lived outside Yellowstone Park in Montana, we knew it was cold when one could spit and it would roll away after hitting the ground. It think that happened around 45 below 0 F. Or while working construction outside and wearing gloves, one could get a handful of nails by just place ones hand in the box for a second and the nails would freeze to the moisture in the leather, giving you a frozen hand full of nails:o

Sitting in the dining room in undies and singlet, to hot for any other clothes.
Probably go sailing tomorrow if its not too hot, kids want to go to the beach though.
The car has air con, may have to go and sit in it for a while with the engine running and cool down.
Phil

FE wood, how do you start nails with gloves on.. that just seems like an excercise in insanity... I used to get the chemical warmers, and keep those in my nail pouch ... but -45? thats a little excessive even for me.... but when you gotta work.. I understand... but then again I have formed snot-sicles sideways from a fresh breeze on a cold day too....

The Oz boys and girls have to opposite problem.. too xxxx hot!! they got Christmas lights on palm trees.... I wonder how much snow in a can they use over there...

Cliff

Fe Wood, I just had a similar situation at my folks estate. A toilet was leaking for who knows how many days, but it ran up a $496 water bill. I contacted the city and explained what happened. They deferred it until the next reading, and did a leak adjustment. All I had to pay was the same as the month before around $94.

It is in the low 40's to high 30's at night, and in the 50's during the day. Possibly some rain headed out way. We have had snow where I work in Utah with highs in the 30's.

Funny how quickly we acclimate, when it first got DOWN in the 20's, it was COLD. Now after being on the single-digits it's gotten UP into the 20's and feels downright balmy.

Same thing last summer, when it got UP to 90 it was hot, but after getting 108, it felt nice when it got down to 90.

When I first moved to Phoenix as a lad from cold country I went bare foot all winter and wore a short sleeved shirt and Bermuda shorts all the time, endless summer. The second winter things were a bit different, still bare foot, long sleeved shirt and Bermuda shorts. The third winter I was a full blown Desert Rat, shoes & shocks, long sleeved shirt, coat and dungarees to keep warm. When the temperature got into the sixties I was cold. When kinfolk would come for winter visit from cold country they would be sweating and I would be wearing a coat. Acclimation is a strange thing indeed. Keep warm and safe all ye who live in cold country.

While I was attending college in Oklahoma they were giving a forecast on the radio about how cold it was going to be the next morning. Well the DJ advised folk to bring in their brass monkeys, he was not on the air the next evening. This was in the sixties so it was considered rather off colored to say the least. Now no one would give it a second thought. We hear much worse on the the TV & radio now.

One nice thing about sunshine is that you don't have to shovel it. Now in a sunny location if it gets really hot you just take off a layer of clothes but if you live in a really cold location you sometimes just can't put on enough layers to get comfortable. I think I'll go shovel that sunshine that's piling up in the front yard now and have another glass of iced tea.

Bentiron1946 there comes a limit though when taking off more clothes starts to be a *bad* idea if you are smithing... Scale burns can be unpleasant.

Cold is not usually as much an issue here as wind is. A place I see from my front door had 7-8 hours of sustained winds over 100 mph with one gust of 128 last week. I was quite happy to be several thousand feet lower with winds between 20 and 30 mph.

Edited by ThomasPowers

That's right I keep forgetting that you live in the Land of Enchantment and most of the time the "Land" is in the air. I lived in Santa Fe for 10 years and there always seemed to be a gentle breeze moving the "Land" about. Ti's true about burns in the smithy but when one looks at the smith in tropical areas they are usually bare footed, bare arms, bare legs and only a loin cloth and head wrap so I don't think they are all that worried about scale burn. Different strokes or perhaps I should say hammer blows for different folk.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't tried throwing hot coffee in the air to test that myth. Usually keeping a swallow in my mouth so my cheeks don't freeze.

Myth? No, not a myth if it's not a BIG cup o' joe. We used to toss hot coffee into really cold air to see if any hit the ground as a liquid, rare. Occasionally none hit the ground at all but the steam would look like a white phosphorus explosion. Great show for sure.

Not bad here this morning, 12 above f. Sub something C but do we care? Too cold for skinny dipping unless you just jumped out of the Banya. (common native name for a Sauna)

We have some Great White . . . Birch oxidizing merrily in the wood stove and I'm comfy. It's a good day.

Oh yeah Fe, I was gonna say LOTS but Grant beat me to it with what I'll assume is a pretty accurate estimate so he can have the grand prize. Mop up job isn't it?

Frosty

Frosty