I Forge Iron

How Cold Are You?

Been down to 8 - 9 F'n (Fahrenheit) degrees here for the last few days. Gets up to the 20's. Sure glad I got a wood stove in the shop. My saw is outside and the coolant was frozen solid. Put some red hot bars of steel in the tank and poured hot water over the lines. Finally got that running. Now the blade keeps coming off because of ice on the wheels. More hot water.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is nothing for you northern boys but it's 35 here right now, the wind is blowing about 15-20 mph and the RH is about 50% so it just HURTS me to be outside in the chill. I've got a fire going in the fireplace and plan to do some channel surfin' inside; the shop can stay dark for tonight.

Grant, if your saw coolant froze, I reckon it's the right thing to do to write the soluble oil company, and tell them they are doing a great job....
High 19F low, -8F so far this week. The shop and house woodstoves are getting a major abdominal workout, sweatin' to the oldies!

to darn cold to get much work done... I have the weather on my phone and can pick out locations to check... so I put my home town in southern Idaho on there and every time I feel like its to cold to work... I check the temp there... They got up to 9 today, first time its been above five deg this week... low tonight of 7 below though..... Makes the 26 deg in Auburn seem balmy... On a side note.. one bad thing about a big shop with high ceilings.. It never does get warm... I burned 10 ga of propane today through a 200,000 BTU heater and the shop never got above 38 deg...

Cold? YES!!!! COLD! My house was built in the 50's and some original pipes have frozen for the first time. Now I guess I will be a plumber for a while... In the hight teens for last couple nights but the pipes got to thaw out today and when I found out about it, I was 3hrs away and my wife didn't hear it until she got home from work.... For all you math guys- how much water flowed out of the 5/8" ID pipe at 85 PSI for lets say, about 6 hrs? Figuring they thawed around 2PM today?

Easily confused.. is it cold enough to throw a hot coffee into the air and none of it to hit the ground from evaporation? I have heard that happens in the Great White North.. got a friend a couple hours from Edmonton... I know that is still a couple days drive.. but ... he is closer than me.. said its warm there.. it up to -27F.. how do you people stay warm up there?