I Forge Iron

Christmas ideas, what to make this year

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have friends that work at a small company the sells elk, buffalo and deer meat and they also sell the antlers cut up for dog chews. The wife cut up a bunch of rounds of antler for small dogs and they didn't sell all that well so she gave me a couple of pounds worth. I'm going to make buttons out of them by putting silver or copper, depending on how well I like the person, on the front and back, solder a jump ring on the back and pierce saw a deer or bear track on the front then rivet the three pieces together. There will only be four buttons in each set. When I saw the elk and deer racks I couldn't believe that all of that fine antler material was just going into dog chews. I mean some of it would be prime for knife handles, but no, dog chews!:o

the base is about 3" X 6" I think....

I used the big wooden ones in the craft store as a pattern and the spring.

It was my first time using a power hammer to actually make something other than beating the fire outta somethin'.

I plug welded the base to the pin and then put the green felt stuff on the bottoms.

Peyton

• 1 month later...

Glenn - you just asked this on 10/22/09 : http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/christmas-ideas-what-make-year-15148/

Why ask again and start a new thread? - revive an old thread this way it keeps info together, the search feature also pulls up some other related threads, there was 17 responses on the above thread (this was only 1 of at least 10 threads that have to do with christmas ideas). I'm not saying every thread needs to be revived and no new threads, but this will help keep the number of same info in a bunch of places down. This is the only way to police this from the start vs. having a bunch of Mods try to combine everything - which would be out of the question I know.

Everyone - Just take a moment to try the search feature on the top of the page before posting a new thread as info most likely is here already. Remeber that the searches rely on key words that are used in that thread. So if you do make a new thread - use a title that one would think of if using a search. By doing that searches are easier to come up with results and there for make this site easier to find stuff. Which results in happier blacksmiths LOL. Sorry for the rant - I try to remember this myself.

Back to the question..........backscratchers from 1/4" squarestock. - JK

Thanks Jeremy, I have combined the threads. It is interesting to look at 2009, vs 2008 etc and see how the trends change.

Edited by jeremy k

You go Jeremy!!!:P Tell Glenn what you really think:rolleye;)

Regarding the back scratcher, I used a piece of 5/16 round (cause I had it at the time) upset one end to a knob about 1/2 inch egg shape and fish-tailed it. curled the end to provide a scratching surface and smoothed all edges. I scrolled the other end to provide a means of hanging and made the whole thing a measured 22.5 inches. I then ergonomically bent the shaft to allow me to reach every portion of my back with ease.

I have to stress the smoothing of the scratching end. no sense in flaying your own back, or worse - allowing someone else to do the same, to you or themselves:o

Glenn,
as for Christmas gifts (there is no X in Christmas!), I am making RR spike split crosses mounted on chunks of granite for the parents/inlaws, key hanging racks, candle holders, little 3/8ths round rod snakes, key chains, curtain tie-backs, and maybe some bottle openers.

paul