I Forge Iron

spectrum treatment

Hello everybody. i just made a trip to a nice little event that was going on in town and found a relay nice sword i couldn't help but to buy. its colors just had me. i'm relay interested in how the process to get them is done. i wouldn't mind messing around with that process if it isn't all that complex. the process is supposedly called "spectrum treatment" and i'm not exactly how it works. but id aether have to say its quenching it in some special juice at just the right time or some special clear-coat that gives it the effect. if anybody knows anything about this process in detail please inform me more on it.

here is a image of a finish product with the special spectrum treatment

Copyrighted material has been removed
I found the image - link here

I would suspect that for a $13.99 sword, that perhaps the term is the manufacturer's sales-speak they came up with instead of saying that they sprayed it with lacquer or other stuff to make it reflect light "real-good". :D
Titanium Ninja-to Double Edge Full Tang Sword
I could be wrong, often am.
Mileage may very.
Live long and prosper, may La Forge be with you.
Dave E.

Link to the photo fixed

Do what? Ti nitride coat steel or anodize reactive metals?

I don't know what's involved in Ti nitride coating.

Anodizing reactive metals however is pretty straight forward. It works best using one of the specially designed power packs. then all you do is clean the metal thoroughly and using an electrode or brush or bath or some type of cool patterned or textured absorbant material soaked in saline solution apply DC current.

The colors are vivid electric hues and there's nearly an infinate range of tones between no effect and blacked out. This is a link to a buddy of mine who started playing around with reactive metals niobium and titanium recently. He made a color chart at 5v. intervals, it's under "colors" at the right. Shimmering Dreams Jewelry

Frosty

I am not sure where the $13.99 price came from but I have no interest in learning anything that would let me sell for that price....

The link that I provided click here to see price of Titanium Ninja-to Double Edge Full Tang Sword is where I found that sword for $13.99 when I Googled on the term "spectrum treatment". If you click on that link you will find a web site that is selling the sword that started this discussion.

When I don't understand a term I simply type it into Google as a search and find a definition. Typing the term "spectrum treatment" into Google only brought up the one web site. :D Edited by Glenn

Whether temper or anodizing, it's an oxide layer. The reflection is from the steel underneath and the colors change with the thickness of the oxide. At different angles the apparent thickness changes giving the changing iridescent colors. Probably done in a chemical/electrical bath and drawn out of the bath slowly giving a longer exposure at the tip. Note the ad says stainless steel.

nice find frosty i believe that's probably how they did it. not exactly where i can find power-supply that can run up more then 12v DC and have enough current to do this.. still would be a relay cool thing to at least try

heres the chart frosty is talking about

Copyrighted material removed
I spoke with the copyright owner and got his permission to put a link click here to the color chart posted on his web site.
Therefore the link is used with his knowledge and permission.

nice find frosty i believe that's probably how they did it. not exactly where i can find power-supply that can run up more then 12v DC and have enough current to do this.. still would be a relay cool thing to at least try

heres the chart frosty is talking about

You can ask Michael where he bought his anodizing equipment, it was several hundred bucks at least. On the other hand his niobium and Ti jewelry is selling well enough I imagine it'll be paid for soon enough.

Frosty

• 1 month later...

You can buy a titanium/niobium electrical anodizer from The Ring Lord (an online chainmaille supplies "store")

The Ring Lord

fairly reasonable price too for what it is. Only $185

David

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, it's me. Frosty, thanks for posting the link to my site. Um, Danz, did you not see on my color chart the words "Copyright 2009 Michael H Mara - Shimmering Dreams. May not be reproduced or used elsewhere without permission"? Your posting it here violates that copyright. Please remove the chart.

Thanks,

Michael

Danz, did you not see on my color chart the words "Copyright 2009 Michael H Mara - Shimmering Dreams. May not be reproduced or used elsewhere without permission"? Your posting it here violates that copyright. Please remove the chart.

The chart has been removed from the IForgeIron site by an IFI administrator. The IForgeIron guide lines state that no copyrighted material can be used without the copyright owners permission.

The IForgeIron site guide lines does NOT allow posting of copyrighted materials, it protects both of us.

If you will notice, it was less than 2 hours from your post to the time the material was removed. I can not promise this response of each issue, but we do try to do our best.

I have reworded the original edit to the post.

I spoke with the copyright owner and got his permission to put a link click here to the color chart posted on his web site.
Therefore the link is used with his knowledge and permission.

This way the copyright holder is satisfied, the chart is not used. The IFI site guide lines are still in place, no copyrighted material is used. Thanks to Michael 's understanding and helpfullness, the information is still available to the viewer via a link to Michael's web site.

Hi Steve. How you doing? Yeah, Glenn called me after I protested the posting of the chart, and asked me if posting a link to it on my site was OK, I said sure. I don't mind people seeing the information, but as mentioned in the post, it IS copyrighted and may not be used without permission. I take Copyrights very seriously.