I Forge Iron

Farriers

Like most things there are a lot of factors to consider. How many shoeing opportunities are in your area? How many other farriers are in the same area to take business from you? How much do you charge? How smart of a business man are you? Things like that.

It's hard for other people to give you an approximation because it can vary quite a bit. If you're really curious, find a farrier in your area, and ask them.

Edited by Haasum
Spelling

Farriers have a wide range of skill sets, ability and training. Some only cold shoe, some forge hot, some are specially trained to administer basic medical care (corrective shoes, treat hoof injuries, etc) and some are not. A good one is in high demand and can shoe a house in a quarter of the time it takes a beginner. Working faster means more horses are done and that means more money. Some only work on high-end horses and some run a route. Not many work for only one employer, as there are few places with enough horses that require a full time farrier. I am betting across the country the going rate changes based on availability but here in this part of Florida, I think you can still get a horse shod for about $125 and they will come back about every 6-9 weeks to do it again. Having seen them work slowly and do five horses a day, they should easily be able to do more. They all seem to drive tricked out 4x4 trucks so I am guessing they make a decent living. If you are thinking about that line of work, I suggest you call a few and offer to help free for a few days. One would probably let you and you could see if you really want to seek the training. Good luck.

My dad kept us fed for years as a farrier. I tried it for a short while and found that I did not like dealing with the fact that just because someone paid me $30.00USD to shoe a horse they assumed that they knew more about it than I did. There was also the problem with poorly trained horses. Very dangerous critters.

I have paid $80 US for to have an old set of shoes reset, to $225 US for a new set of show shoes, and a few points in between. I am in Eastern CT, Even different farriers in the same area charge differently. For me, it comes down to customer service, then price. Our mare is a little picky about her shoes....

Any farrier I have ever met has earned their money, that is tough work. .. The horses that don't stand for the farrier... make the ones that do that much more worth while.

I think the best way would be to ask the farriers in your area.. or the area you are heading to..

Hope this helps,
Cliff

The other thing is it's REALLY hard on your body. You can get kicked, bit,rolled on, etc. Did you ever see a long term farrier with a good back or a set of good knees? Seems a lot like blood money to me, but then again I don't like horses. The only time I shoe them is to scare them away-shoo horse, shoo.
Mark

A group of farriers usually demonstrates at the yearly event held by the local blacksmithing guild. Apparently their group is comprised of individuals who have worked their way through an apprenticeship program towards their certifications. They would be good people to talk to if you are interested.

Definitely a hard job that is tough on the human body.

Just an aside, I had an opportunity to watch the world championships and the Calgary Stampede about 4 years ago. The top farriers in the world compete there.

It was an absolute pleasure to watch these guys. I don't know anything about shoeing, but I could appreciate what these guys do day in and day out.

• 4 weeks later...

I began as a farrier in the early 1960's, and charging ha ha $11.00 per head for hot shaping, fitting, and nailing on keg (manufactured) shoes. Yeah, really!...and that was good money at the time! I really don't know what the deal is today, maybe between $80 and $125? I never did more than five a day, because my body told me to quit while I was ahead. Shoeing is strenous work. I've met shoers who said they did 30 a day. Then later I found out that the shoer had a helper and both of them only trimmed 18 that day; none were shod. In any event, most shoers have a new shoe keg price, and they charge a little less for resets. A reset means pulling the slightly worn shoes after 8 weeks or so, trimming the growth, and nailing the same shoes back on again. A guy'll charge much less for a trim, because you just use your knife, nippers, and rasp; there are no shoes to nail on.

Shoes are not always hand turned, unless a person is working on a special class of horse. Many harness race shoes used to be hand made, but even they are manufactured now. Some show horses are shod with weighted shoes to give them heightened action. I formerly shod some Morgan show horses, and in the Park Horse class, I forged front shoes that had to weigh 16 ounces each with most of the weight in the toe of the shoes ('toe weights'). I used 3/8" x 1" x 10

Edited by Frank Turley

Mr Lake, WHAT COUNTRY ARE YOU IN? Hard to know if you want the going rate for Chile, South Africa, Estonia, Australia, Japan even in a country costs may differ depending on *where* you are at.

Also if you are looking at is as a career I once read that the average career of a farrier was about 2 years due to injury or deciding there was better ways to make money.

The other thing is it's REALLY hard on your body. You can get kicked, bit,rolled on, etc. Did you ever see a long term farrier with a good back or a set of good knees? Seems a lot like blood money to me, but then again I don't like horses. The only time I shoe them is to scare them away-shoo horse, shoo.
Mark

if they kick and bite, and i survive, its shoo, with a silent " T " ...........lol

certainly dont think the weak mind applies, i shoe part time and forge the rest of the time, i want to have a long career at it. you can make decent money but as was said it is dangerous. Customer service is #1, quality and cost... there are always customers who know everything, clients who only care about getting it done cheap and then there are alo of good people who are willing to pay what it takes to get the service they want.

getting a fancy rig is alright but i prefer the tow behind trailer so that i can use the truck for alot more things. the fancier equipment you have the more money you will have to charge to make a living at it.