I Forge Iron

Beginner questions

Hey guys
I am new to blacksmithing, so i have a few questions id like to ask.
What tools/equipment is essential, what should i have for beginners blacksmithing?
I have a brake drum forge, and a RR anvil, and i am planning to get a real anvil soon i hope. I have a small hammer (not sure about the weight, but its pretty light) that needs its handle replaced, and a larger one (around 1-1.5kg i would say) with no handle. Both of them are the same shape, something like this.

I haven't got a pair of tongs, i plan to make them as soon as i have access to a real anvil, so im using something like this.
So, what do you suggest me to get as the next piece of equipment?

Here is what I started with and used for quite some time. 1 Hammer, 1 tong , 1 Forge, 1 Anvil, 1 Cutter (Small axe works, I used a draw knife for some time as well) and metal to beat on. That's all you need! : ) Don't even really need the cutter at that, although I do use it a lot.... Looks like you have all that, although if your "tongs" are like those in the picture I would recommend getting yourself a set of long handles pliers of channel locks like this. That is what I have been using.

The one's you have pictured are hoof clippers that farriers use. I think they will be hard to grip anything properly with. If you use long stock you don't even need tongs, I actually prefer working like that, but eventually you always have to use the tongs at some point when the piece gets smaller. I wish you the best of luck and feel free to ask questions we have a lot of very experienced smiths here who are happy to help! Although I'm not one of the very experienced one's I'll still help when I can! :D

Yea, i know its enough to get started, but what would you recommend getting next? :)
I thought of making a chisel, when i tried forging a bit, i noticed a need to cut a piece of metal, and couldn't do it, so i found a "stone chisel" (in the lack of better words), made from a car axle, its pretty big, so i don't know if i can heat it up in my little forge, but by the time i get home and start forging again, ill get a better forge probably.
The worst part is an anvil, since i don't have a lot of money to spend on blacksmithing at the moment, new one is out of the question, and most people in my hometown don't want to sell their anvils, though they dont use them.

I found out that one of my friends had not one, but TWO anvils, i was totally thrilled when he told me, and xxxxxx a bit, i was like: WHY THE xxxx DIDN'T YOU SAY THAT BEFORE??? and he said he never knew i needed an anvil.
So we went to his place, he showed me the anvil, (looked great to me) and said that the other one is rotting outside, well it looks like his old man gave it to someone... and he needs the other one for himself... so i was xxxxxx that day, but he promised he will lend it to me for 2 weeks in the winter holidays, i cant forge sooner anyway, since my college started now.
Ill post a pic of that chisel thingy once my sister gets up and mails it to me, for some advice on how to make a hardy tool out of it :)

Oh, and another question, i noticed when forging, an oxide layer forms on the surface of the metal, and when i hammer it, it makes marks on the metal, and it tends to have little cracks from it... how do i remove it? Using a "steel brush" (again, lack of better words)?

A piece or RR rail, hammer, forge and something to cut with. Can you afford a hack saw? You can also forge or file an edge on a piece of stock with a flat profile, edge of a piece of angle iron for instance. This way it will stand on edge while you cut with it.

If you mount the rail on end you can sharpen the web or flange to make a hot cut, you can put a radius on another part for a fuller too.

Lots of options for cutting with or without het.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty

I can borrow a hacksaw for now, and yes i have thought about sharpening a part of the RR, you suggest i do it with an angle grinder?
So, the part that i would sharpen, it doesn't need to be hardened?

And, bnew, i dont want to modify the "tongs" since those are not tongs, and have their purpose (cutting wire) so i dont wanna ruin a tool that is good for nothing, i should rather make new tongs myself :)
Though i think you need an anvil to make them, because i cant think of a way of forming the rounded parts without the horn?

use a piece of pipe for the time being,to be a anvil or horn it dosen't have to be/look "traditional". you will, over time gather/make tools and you will see uses of ordanary things that will workto your advantage. get going and make it happen,bol, jimmy

I can borrow a hacksaw for now, and yes i have thought about sharpening a part of the RR, you suggest i do it with an angle grinder?
So, the part that i would sharpen, it doesn't need to be hardened?

Sure you can use an angle grinder or even a file if you have a good supply of sweat. No, it doesn't need to be heat treated at all, cut only hot steel on it and it'll hold up fine.

If you heat treat it, driving yellow hot steel down on it will ruin the heat treat in short order so don't bother.

The stone cutter's chisel will work fine as a cut off. A hatchet and cutting plate will work too. The chisel plate is a piece of sacrificial steel, aluminum, etc. laid over your anvil to protect the cut off and the anvil from damage while you're cutting.

I've used the corner of my anvil to cut with too but being a 90* "edge" it isn't as good as a proper hardy or hot set.

Frosty

Thanks for the info guys :)
Unfortunately, as i said before, this is all theoretical for now, since i don't have access to my forge, and wont have until around Christmas, but I'm trying to gather as much information I can for now, so I can just start forging once i have the opportunity :)

That's fine, gathering information while you can't actually do a thing is a good practice.

Take notes, bookmark things, make sketches, think on stuff and ask more questions. Few things in life are as rewarding as a good question.

Frosty

A new question:
I noticed, when talking about temperature, people describe them in the color shades, but, wouldn't an Infrared thermometer (non-contact thermometer) be a better idea to correctly measure the temperature of the steel?

yes. colors are a general way to talk about the heat of the steel. but they are just general since one mans dark red could be another mans blood red or another mans cherry red. Also the ambient light effects the colors you are able to see. Standing outside on a sunny day with a hot piece of steel and it may look like a black heat but take it into a dark room and it will be faintly glowing. Check out this site talks a bit about colors.

edit: oh and check out this article and thread as well LB0007 critical temps

Edited by yea3114u