I Forge Iron

Beginner questions

In some ways a thermometer is better, FAR more accurate for one. However, the less you have to rely on aids the less likely you'll be up a creek without a paddle if the batteries go dead.

Another thing, you don't really care about being more accurate than 50-100*f and a 100* difference is pretty evident with practice. There really isn't a need to be terribly accurate in general smithing.

If you do need that kind of accuracy you aren't going to be doing it in a coal of propane forge, you'll be using a controlled temperature furnace. The IR thermometers only read the surface so you're left to estimate internal temps just like doing it by eye. So, if you're forging or heat treating a very temperature critical alloy you MUST control the temp in the furnace.

Frosty

So, guys, obviously i have decided my first project would be a pair of tongs, ill keep trying until i get a good ones if that doesn't go so well from the start :)
But, what do you suggest as a second piece? I would like something useful, not necesarily for blacksmithing, just something that can be used, since i am motivated by making something I/someone can use, and not just by making it so it can collect dust around :)

When I taught some boy scouts we made tongs to hold 1/4'' round then when took some 1/4'' round about 6'' long tapered the ends the bent the ends over the horn mades some s hooks. They loved it and went home to talk about what they had learned and made. But most important is to make things that you may need, wall hooks, door pull handles drive hooks for hanging things on walls etc.That is what blacksmiths do is make things that you or other people need.
Gaylan

Aral, tongs were my first project too. Just don't get discouraged when your first jaw looks like a pile of poop. As long as you learned something from that first ugly jaw, your next jaw can only be better. Of course to finish the tongs I needed a punch and rivet so inherently i made a punch and a die for making rivets. i think once u get going you will find projects just start breeding themselves. good luck in your endeavors.