I Forge Iron

Traditional wedding gift ideas

Hi all, a good friend of mine is getting married soon and I'd like to make them a gift.
I've googled for ideas but all I can find are horseshoes - which I don' really fancy!
Any suggestions as to a good wedding gift to make?
Ideally something traditional (not a scold's bridle!!)

Thanks,

Richard

i agree about the heart motif - how a bout a decorative cupids heart with an arrow for wall or garden? not very trad i admit tho... you cant go wrong with candelabra like someone above suggested. anything hand made for a wedding present is a lovely gift

Yes, hearts! I have sold loads of heart hooks as wedding and anniversary gifts, and even made a large heart, with some decorative twists in it for a couple that was embellished with ribbons and flowers and used in the wedding ceremony. But like Beth I agree, anything hand made will surely be appreciated and cherished as a gift.

Hi all, a good friend of mine is getting married soon and I'd like to make them a gift.

horse shoes are bits of straight stock with decorative holes already swedged, so ........fancy wine bottle holder, a pot rack with hooks and hand made chain links?, offer to make the candleabras for the tables for the wedding?, a wedding photo book from timber with the forged hinge thing, a drink tray from tight scrolls or patterned steel(horse shoes),,
the old timber block with the horse shoe coat rack thing, a door knocker?,,,a coffee table?........ummm

Perhaps a set of plant hangers for the yard or terrace. I made this set last year for a couple from Texas who were married on the coast of Maine. The design is traditional, forged and riveted construction. It's visually easy, in that it will work with most deco schemes. Stamp the date and the initials of the happy couple on the piece to personalize the creation.

Peter

16931.attach

16932.attach

For some friends when they got married a few years ago, I made them a Dragon door knocker. The dragon was 3/4 stock, S curved, with the dragon head on top and the other end fishtailed out. I punched in a depression on both sides at the pivot/hanging point with a big center punch. Used a C bracket riveted to the flat back plate to hang the dragon door knocker. And I put a large rivet where it hit the back plate. Many of their relatives really really wanted it for themselves!

I've also made flower candle holders - including a "unity" 3-candle holder for the wedding ceremony. The two outside candles are lit, then the couple use them to light that center candle together.

Other possibilities? Trivets for hot pans. Book ends. Shelf brackets. And many people could use a coat rack - like a simple classic bar with riveted on hooks. Just a small bouquet of iron roses wrapped around their stems with thick copper wire will earn you lots of ... points ... with the couple and their family. I use the "long flattened/indented strip of iron rolled up" version of roses for these.

Just a few possibilities.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Recently one of my wife's cousins daughters got married and I made them a pair of SS pig tail roasting forks.

They like back packing and camping and anything forged. They had some "wrought" iron roasting forks from Target in their register. So considering backpacking and the weight of forged iron . . . well, IRON, I made these.

They're relatively short and could've been shorter. The tail is drawn to less than 1/4" and wrapped into a short pig tail so it'll thread over a stick.

Once you've roasted your wienies and smores you can stick it into a piece of wood or the ground and use it for a candle holder. I should say use THEM for candle holders, I made a pair.

Frosty

16934.attach

16935.attach

I like this thread,we should keep it going. It seems like the last year or so I could have used a few of these ideas.
Another friend is getting married soon,and I know he wants a Damascus knife of some sort,but I haven't got the skills yet to take on a project like that.I think I'll try Frosty's roasting forks,something that is alittle closer to my skills.

and I know he wants a Damascus knife of some sort,but I haven't got the skills yet to take on a project like that.

Well, there are a number of places that sell damascus bars and knife blanks. That might be a place to start. Making the original damascus billet tends to be the hard part. The rest is more skill in forming a knife blade and making a handle. Crazy Crow Trading Company offers some damascus knife blanks. And if you go to some of the knife maker supply sites, they offer lots more options to help get you started. So don't discount that damascus knife idea just yet.

Mikey

Thanks Mike,I'll keep that it mind.I was looking at that motorcycle chain knife I started a while back,and was thinking maybe I could cut the bad cold shuts off, draw it out and make like a vegetable knife.It wouldn't have as nice a pattern as something bought but I don't think it would be bad.

My daughter came home from school last year with a request to make something for one of her teachers, who was getting married. I did the heart motife and made this. it was simple and useful, and they liked it a bunch - the teacher later thanked me personally.
I know it;s not damascus, but it was reasonably easy, and if the look was to their liking, you could almays make matching anythings.

16966.attach