I Forge Iron

So, Whats your favorite shop Machine?

A milling machine can reproduce itself with the proper accessories, dividing heads, rotary tables, etc. Can't really cut gears, or do the milling on a lathe. Yes, I know about the milling attachments, but like I said not really practical. Dad was a master machinist, and I was the only one to take after him in the field.

My shop list in order of use;

18.5 x 54 Monarch lathe w/taper attachment. LOVE this lathe. 1946 and as tight as when it was made. It had only been used for maintenance, no production.

Millport 9 x 42 milling machine

Linde UCC-305 TIG/ARC welder 350 amp Man, I TIG just about everything now. Super smooth high freq start on this unit. 1,000 # of smoothness.

Clausing 10 x 16 full hydraulic surface grinder

Grob 24" bandsaw

Miller MP-65 E 650 amp Mig / ARC welder Spray arcing 1/16' aluminum wire Yea Baby!

purchased, but haven't used yet;

16" G&E shaper
Axelson 18.5 x 78 lathe w/ taper attachment-came out of Dad's classroom at Mare Island Naval Shipyard
36" Pexto hydraulic shear
5' x 10' Koike Aronson CNC torch

That is just the tip of the tool iceberg. I guess you could say I am a tool whore :D
I have more lathes, horizontal mill, welders, pipe/plumbing gear, electrical gear, all of the blacksmithing stuff, car tools, etc.. I feel like that scene in JAWS except for me it would be "we're gonna need a bigger shop". This was the main reason I bought 2 ac, to build a shop on.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not FE but that`s a metal spinning lathe,and a fine one at that.Congrats on that find FE!
Now that you`ve got a HD,purpose built lathe and sissors type turning tools the metal is quaking in fear of your combined might.The only hope is surrender! :D
Here`s to future projects seeing things your way.

Artwerkz- As Bob said, it is a dedicated purpose spinning lathe- it does make hollow forms but using metal as apposed to wood. I may do some modifications though so I can use it for wood turning too. Large bowls mainly...

From what I can tell, it is a 24" Swing, Pacific Metal Spinning lathe.

The seller was such a great man- he spent the better part of the day (well, all of it) working with me, teaching me some spinning techniques on my new lathe. He also included a full set of scissor tools, including a trim tool!

We spun 16g stainless of unknown origin like it was nothing!!! I then spun some 12g mild steel. I'm just guessing but judging by the heft and power of this lathe, I wouldn't be surprised if I could spin 3/16 or 1/4". It weighs in close to 2000#'s

VFD is on the way and I'm now making it at home in my shop. Can't wait to work with it...

Nice spinning machine. Those are hard to come by!

I would have to say my favorite machines in this order

#1. KMG Industrial belt grinder (i'll have pics of this baby soon) I'm working on it's stand right now.

#2. MSC / 14 Vertical bandsaw. I use it daily. I'll never go back to hacksaws and cutting discs. :angry:

#3. Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG with 200AMP Torch. I could never weld the big thick materials if I didn't have this baby.

(these aren't machinery but they are my fav's)
My coveted Cayenne Forge and Gladiator anvil. <3 xoxo <3 I would die without them. They are my favorite toys.

Artwerkz- As Bob said, it is a dedicated purpose spinning lathe- it does make hollow forms but using metal as apposed to wood. I may do some modifications though so I can use it for wood turning too. Large bowls mainly...

From what I can tell, it is a 24" Swing, Pacific Metal Spinning lathe.

The seller was such a great man- he spent the better part of the day (well, all of it) working with me, teaching me some spinning techniques on my new lathe. He also included a full set of scissor tools, including a trim tool!

We spun 16g stainless of unknown origin like it was nothing!!! I then spun some 12g mild steel. I'm just guessing but judging by the heft and power of this lathe, I wouldn't be surprised if I could spin 3/16 or 1/4". It weighs in close to 2000#'s

VFD is on the way and I'm now making it at home in my shop. Can't wait to work with it...

What are you gonna do with this? propeller cones? medieval helms? I guess really sky's the limit. Sure makes dishing with a hammer seem barbaric, now. :P

What are you gonna do with this? propeller cones? medieval helms? I guess really sky's the limit. Sure makes dishing with a hammer seem barbaric, now. :P

God, I know, I come up with new ideas on a hourly basis. I'm not so much into midievel craft and lor but I see all knids of projects before me. I need to make this one pay so my creative process will, in part be driven by that. One of the ideas I'm working on is a nice set of Copper and/or Steel candle cups with matching drip cups.

• 2 months later...

I've got a lathe and a mill, both older than me:o

I always wanted both of these machines but as it turns out, I use the Lathe WAY more than the mill.

So I thouht I'd see what are the favorite machines for Blacksmiths. Dosen't have to be either the mill or the lathe, just whatever your shop favorite is!

It would be great to see pictures too.

Mine would be the air compressor or my horiz/ vert bandsaw that I improved on.

Dragon's lair got the handle to this shovel. Depends on what we're doing. I've heard said, and said myself, the human brain is the best tool in the shop. Keep it out of the lacquer fumes.
I've been promoting my shop as a waystation for regional smiths, stop by on your way thru, stay for a week if you want. One of our club elders, Dick Fedder, stayed with us last week, we were busy 14hrs/day plus re-hydration once the forge cooled off. Okay, re-hydration started before the forge cooled off, but Uncle Dick's 71 now, he re-hydrates with o'douls NA brew, keeps us on track. It's interesting visiting other's shops, and more interesting having career smiths come to my place, and see what they take a shine to in my digs. Some of the stuff Uncle Dick liked was: my 54x72 inch platten table, it's machined flat within a couple thou's, so everything that's clamped to it stays flat. The 12 inch verticle pedastel gringer with 40g PSA disc, and adjustable angle table, and 1 hp farm duty motor.I'm envious of the belt grinder crowd, and I will make one soon, but the pedastle grinder has a firm foot in the door in my shop. I have a lathe and vertical mill. I'm good on a lathe, but i'll toot my horn and say I'm darned friendly with the milling machine. I machined all the parts for an H-Frame guillotine tool one afternoon, 1 inch thick base plate, and 1 inch sq slide rails with 1/2 inch slot for the dies to ride in. Makes a darned near indestructable guillotine, but hard to nest all the chunks together without a mill. Dick liked using mine, and he gave my wife one of his copper roses on a steel stem, in my opinion,the flowers he makes are among the best on the planet,( Dick's flora is given mention in Aspery's book) so an afternoon of slot milling is worth it for a buddy. My old mechanical power hammer makes me available to work bigger stock than hand hammers do. We made some beautiful splitting wedges from a chunk of 3/4 x 3 inch agricultural leaf spring I found in my kinfolks scrap pile for a client of Dick's that makes split rail fence products. It was hard seeing those wedges leaving my shop. I didn't think to get a picture, but they had an old world feel to them that you can't get at the local farm and feed store.
To summarize, after all the jibberish above, my favorite shop tools are:
Coffee maker
Beer cooler
Satellite radio, and 4 big speakers, focusing on the forge.

Dragon's lair got the handle to this shovel. Depends on what we're doing. I've heard said, and said myself, the human brain is the best tool in the shop. Keep it out of the lacquer fumes.
I've been promoting my shop as a waystation for regional smiths, stop by on your way thru, stay for a week if you want. One of our club elders, Dick Fedder, stayed with us last week, we were busy 14hrs/day plus re-hydration once the forge cooled off. Okay, re-hydration started before the forge cooled off, but Uncle Dick's 71 now, he re-hydrates with o'douls NA brew, keeps us on track. It's interesting visiting other's shops, and more interesting having career smiths come to my place, and see what they take a shine to in my digs. Some of the stuff Uncle Dick liked was: my 54x72 inch platten table, it's machined flat within a couple thou's, so everything that's clamped to it stays flat. The 12 inch verticle pedastel gringer with 40g PSA disc, and adjustable angle table, and 1 hp farm duty motor.I'm envious of the belt grinder crowd, and I will make one soon, but the pedastle grinder has a firm foot in the door in my shop. I have a lathe and vertical mill. I'm good on a lathe, but i'll toot my horn and say I'm darned friendly with the milling machine. I machined all the parts for an H-Frame guillotine tool one afternoon, 1 inch thick base plate, and 1 inch sq slide rails with 1/2 inch slot for the dies to ride in. Makes a darned near indestructable guillotine, but hard to nest all the chunks together without a mill. Dick liked using mine, and he gave my wife one of his copper roses on a steel stem, in my opinion,the flowers he makes are among the best on the planet,( Dick's flora is given mention in Aspery's book) so an afternoon of slot milling is worth it for a buddy. My old mechanical power hammer makes me available to work bigger stock than hand hammers do. We made some beautiful splitting wedges from a chunk of 3/4 x 3 inch agricultural leaf spring I found in my kinfolks scrap pile for a client of Dick's that makes split rail fence products. It was hard seeing those wedges leaving my shop. I didn't think to get a picture, but they had an old world feel to them that you can't get at the local farm and feed store.
To summarize, after all the jibberish above, my favorite shop tools are:
Coffee maker
Beer cooler
Satellite radio, and 4 big speakers, focusing on the forge.

Hey Mike, I didn't count your 3 as they are in the office(with the AC) So the handles are the same.
Ken.