I Forge Iron

ya that is a tough question to answer . what type of knife , what style are you aiming for ?Are you makeing a reproduction of a sertan time pereod ?what handle woods do you have available ? ive got a bunch of different woods and antler bone ect . when i am makeing a new knife i will go to the box and decide from what i have available ... i am always picking up knife handle materials and setting um aside ... most knife makers i know do the same thing ... good luck!

i would use whatever is lying around, but soft woods. go for hard woods like oak, hockory, and cherry (as scales) will work. cherry looks great but what do you want from a knife. set asid some promising wood and dry it out. good luck.

Pick up an issue of one of the knife magazines, in it you will see a lot of different handle materials on a lot of different knives. There are also adds for suppliers of handle materials listed. Look over everything to see wot catches you eye the go to the web sites that sell materials and see if it is in your price range. Also look at all the knives shown in the gallery and see wot you find that you like there. Most pics have the handle material used listed.

Just don't know if I can cut it up. I'd never cut up the Bilikin.

I should hope NOT! A billikin is good luck, destroying one is destroying your own luck. Put it where you can rub it's belly for luck.

You used to be able to find fossil ivory for reasonable, unfortunately the tourist trade has driven the prices through the roof.

Frosty

I've yet to work micarta but i had a piece of canvas micarta that I left laying in the dirt for a year rain snow 100+ degrees for days , 90+ for weeks and it didn't seem to change, although I didn't measure or test in any way

ok i definately should have been more specific. I need a good handle that looks good and is practical for the three utility knives, knife 1, knife 2, and knife 3. They're the three i've narrowed it down to for my self. I'll be using them for everything from skinning game to just a simple carry around knife for everyday use because the limit here in Texas is Single edged under 5 1/2" I have every handle material imaginable at my disposal, everything from micarta and dymondwood to Ebony and buffalo horn and all at a good price. www.knifeandgun.com is a great place for any knife accessory you could possibly need.

Copyrighted photos removed and links inserted

Edited by TexasIronworker

• 1 month later...