I Forge Iron

Rust on cooking tool

bsiler

I've made a couple of tools for the grill. I cleaned them up good and put ingest-able mineral oil on them. They looked good for awhile but now have started to rust some. Is there anything to do to them.

Probably could have done a search but thought i'd just ask!
Thank You
Billy

I make a lot of cooking utensils and recommend to my customers to use steel wool and some vegetable oil to remove any rust (but don't use the dishwasher). Wash thoroughly with mild soap and tap water to remove any food residue or steel wool remnants, then warm slightly and reoil - spray-on Pam works great. With time and use, the rust will become less noticeable as the tool naturally seasons, like a frying pan.

Hello, I had the same problem with the old-style utensils I have made; so, I have experimented with maybe a dozen different techniques & oils.

The best - by that I mean longest lasting/easiest to do/ most palatable - way I have found is to:

1) Clean the metal very well with soap and water.

2) Heat it so that you can JUST hold it ungloved (oven, or Clean flame only).

3) Cover liberally with groundnut (peanut) oil & then heat again with increasing temperature until the oil is smoking.

4) Keep it hot until it looks dry, then allow to cool.

5) Wipe/rub with a clean rag, when no more residue comes off on the rag, it is ready for use.

No rust on my utensils for over a year now!

This topic brings up a question in my mind that I have wondered about since I built my first BBQ. Will rust harm you?? Granted, the idea of ingesting iron oxide is at best, un-appetizing, but is it bad for your health? I made my fist BBQ grate out of mild expanded metal and it would rust after each use. On the next use, I would brush it down good to remove the loose stuff, spray it liberally with Pam and let the heat from the coals bake it. Eventually, of course, I had to replace the grate because it finally got too thin that I was afraid the food would end up in the fire LOL.

So is a little rust bad for you?? I'm not advocating that we don' try to protect against it for appetite as well as asthetics but after all, its used as a nutrient, its put in vitamins, women rub it on their faces in the form of cosmetics.
Search Results: Iron Oxide
Iron(III) oxide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Curious for feed back either way. Again, I don't like the taste of rusty steaks but I also don't want to have another bullet out there with my name on it LOL

I like mineral oil.... parrafin wax rubbed on hot peices works too... the parrafin they sell in the store for sealing jelly jars is food safe.....

taking any vegetable oil an dburnng it on is good too.. but a thin layer other wise it forms a plasdtic goo that is hard to deal with.... but a couple of repetitions will do good, but the outdoor grill idea is good.. there is some smoke...

I would guess..... just guessing...... that its not too bad for you... rust= FeO or FeO2 or others are not the same as the Iron in vitamins... I know you can get sick from too much iron.... but keep things reasonably clean .... I find it too crunchy....

I use a combination of a few suggestions above: Heat the item on the grill and then spray on Pam, then put back on the grill until it stops smoking. The Pam doesn't really burn off - It changes into a hard film. I think it's called polymerization. Anyway, what's left doesn't go rancid, and the coating lasts for a season or two of weekly grilling. I do the same for my cast iron. But the cast iron last forever, since the cooking "re-seasons" it. Grill tools don't really get that hot for long enough during regular use.

But one additional tip - Don't spray over where you might walk or stand. One time I sprayed right in front of the grill. The over-spray made the deck real slippery for a long time. And if you do spray near the grill, close the cover first. Spraying anything next to a flame invites serious flash-ups.

And don't wash in soapy water, no dishwasher, and don't use steel wool to clean. Hot water and a Scotch-Brite pad works plenty good enough to get the crud off. On my griddle, I just wipe with a paper towel as soon as I'm done cooking, while the griddle is still hot. It takes just a couple seconds, but the patina gets nice and shiny from whatever oils were left on while cooking.

Edited by Marc

Thanks for ideas.
I was just thinking about the rust before I went to work this morning. I thought it might be something that might not be worth asking. Tonight I turned on the computer and checked to see if someone might have had an idea. I had no idea there would be this many replies. They all sound good. I might have to try them all.
Thanks again for all the help you guys give
Billy

• 3 months later...

After forging I clean the utensil up nice a shiny with a wire brush and then warm up and rub (melt) bees wax over it, rub of with soft cloth. Utensils stay shiny and easy to clean with mild soap and water for over a year (re polish and coat).

My Dad , and brother were on a deep sea fishing trip a few years back, and the cook had everyone bring their pliers down to the kitchen. He dipped them into the collected bacon grease to keep them from rusting shut. My Dad did an experiment where he didn't do his, but my brother did. within a couple of days my Dad's were getting tight, and tough to operate while my brother's were fine, and were so the entire trip.

Bacon-not just for breakfast :D

Another thing to think of is that gun blue is just a controlled form of rusting. My pocketknife has a nice patina now. Each time a little rust got on the blade, all I did was just polish off the orange, not the darker stain. Over the years it has become a nice finish that resists rusting like it did before.