I Forge Iron

I Feel So Stupid

I started today with a pair of gloves that really should have been in the trash. They had small holes in the fingers of the second and third fingers. Because the hole were so small and on my hammer hand I thought nothing of it. But, around three o'clock I went to take the steel cover plate off of the fire pot. I grabbed it with my right hand(which for me is my hammer hand) I burned my second a third fingers. It hurt a little and I thought nothing of it, but, I figured that since I had burns I would go inside and run it under some cold water. By the time I got inside, I was in extreme pain. I ran it under water and put ice and burn-gel. It turned all white and is really hard an sore. I think that next time I will throw out the xxxxxx gloves and go buy a new pair. I thought that I would share this with all of you as a PSA (public service announcement). Maybe I will put some pictures up later.

Tech413 oww that sound like it was full of suck.

Markb I wear gloves because as a professional welder for 12 years, I was trained to wear them as a matter of ppe, this protected me form burns from spark and arc.

I just should have listened to myself and no even tried to wear them. At the beginning of the day the hole where about the size of .035 wire and by the time that I burned myself the had opened up considerably.(bout the size of a dime)

Don't worry. I have done it again and picked up a piece of black hot iron yesterday. Wonderful row of blisters across three fingers and my thumb. Was interesting today trying to pull the bow back (we are into archery) with the string right across the blistered fingers.

Maybe, one day I will learn that the iron on the bench is HOT.

I never use a glove on my hammering hand but regularly use a long welders glove on my left hand. I seem to stuff up the left glove while upsetting steel, Usually opening up the seam on the thumb and wearing a hole through the layers of leather and wooly lining.
When ever I burn myself on the fingers or thumb, I quickly pinch my Ear Lobe with the burnt digit. Believe it or not, it takes the pain away and prevents blistering. Next time you accidentally burn yourself try it yourselves and be your own judge. Likewise accidentally hitting your fingers generally results in getting a blood blister if you don't rub your finger vigerously in your hair for a few seconds.
It sounds stupid but it does work. Even if it doesn't work for you at least it will stop hurting when the pain goes away.

I tend to only wear gloves when welding (forge and arc welding), everything else I assume is hot and don't touch!

I had the same trouble with holey gloves a couple of weeks ago though. Mice/rats had eaten a few small (1/2" diam) holes randomly on my gloves. Unfortunately one was in exactly the place where my left hand supports the welding rod when I get started. I burnt my finger three times in quick succession and then thought sod it (sort of), threw the gloves across the workshop and kicked the lumps I was welding. I now have new gloves.

I never use a glove on my hammering hand but regularly use a long welders glove on my left hand. I seem to stuff up the left glove while upsetting steel, Usually opening up the seam on the thumb and wearing a hole through the layers of leather and wooly lining.
When ever I burn myself on the fingers or thumb, I quickly pinch my Ear Lobe with the burnt digit. Believe it or not, it takes the pain away and prevents blistering. Next time you accidentally burn yourself try it yourselves and be your own judge. Likewise accidentally hitting your fingers generally results in getting a blood blister if you don't rub your finger vigerously in your hair for a few seconds.
It sounds stupid but it does work. Even if it doesn't work for you at least it will stop hurting when the pain goes away.

Thanks for that Chrispy:D it gave me a good laugh, I must try those, I usually find a good cure for toothache is a kick in the bolleaux, you are right, though, it does stop hurting when the pain goes away:D:D

The best healing cream for burns is a prescription ointment called Silvadeen. If you are a blacksmith, you doc should be ok with writting a prescription for some to be on hand.

The best thing for burns is to imediatly cool the burn in cool flowing water. There are a number of gels on the market that contain benzocaine. But another great thing to have is a "Watergel" These come in a foil packet with what looks like a small folded napkin in fluid. Tear the top off, retaining the fluid. Remove the napkin, open and place on the burn. Feel an instant cooling and pain relief. in a few minutes as the cooling fluid vaporates pour a bit of that retained fluid on the napkin and feel more cooling. repeat till the fluid is all gone.
Ptree the industrial safety guy

Have not really burnt myself to bad (my 7 yro had a red iron in the fire and took it out and turned on me one day and yes I still have a nice groove on my forearm.. and yes he is still proud of his mark...learning moment for both of us...) I have some sheep skinned gloves (wool for those that dont live in the cooler climates) but have found they contain the heat a little more than need be (cant iniatly feel it on the first grab but it rapidly climbs) was warned by my teacher but hey experience 'Is the best teacher' and its what I had at the time. Oh well as to the groove .Chicks dig scars and my wifes a chick...thats all that matters.....and she likes the fact I have a hobby that keeps me home........stay safe

As of yet I have never burned my hands while blacksmithing.

Oddly I believe that this if mainly from never wearing gloves when blacksmithing.

If a piece gets to hot to hold, I either cool it in the slack tub or go to tongs.

It may sound counter intuitive but never wearing gloves I NEVER pick up hot things and keep the black hot stuff on a table for ONLY black hot stuff.

Reading all of the comments in this thread I think that there may be something to not wearing gloves. IE. holes in gloves + pick up hot stuff = burned hand or usually wearing gloves + pick up something hot, used to wearing gloves = burned hand.

Now I have had a rather bad burn, long story short(idiocy triumphs again!), steped in molten plastic with a bare foot. . .

I had Aleo Vera Barbarosa growing in the garden and immediatly hobbled over to it, broke open an old leaf(the older the leaf the more good stuff is in it) and held it to my foot for about an hour.

Then got a new piece and used some wrap to hold the new aleo leaf on the affected area.

The fresh aleo took the pain away and almost healed it completely by the next day! Otherwise this would have been close to a third degree burn!

My advice, keep at least one aleo plant around, use the bigger old leafs(outside leafs), just cut or tear it off, slit it open, rub or score the gel and hold on the burn for as long as possibe. Keep scoring the gel of the leaf as it dries. Works better then any medicine than I have ever used!

Caleb Ramsby

The right gloves for the job are really a must, aren't they. Found this out recently when I was wearing some thin rubber gloves while hacksawing through a 1/4" rod held in a vice. I was in a hurry and taking aggressive strokes, and on the final stroke the hacksaw cut through and my left hand (which was supporting the grip) went right into the sharp edge of the rod. It punched deep into the skin right below my pinky knuckle. Even after healing (it's now months later) it is painful to touch. I think I severed a nerve. Way to go huh. I should have gone to the hospital, but you know how that story goes.

Right gloves for the right job ;)

I found out that OSHA has some rules to keep ourselves safe..from ourselves.... I keep learning where they came up with them the hard way...

I was working in a hook with my wire wheel... it came around and hit me in the face.... Had on saftey glasses...(Learned my lesson withthose years ago) and a respirator...had a golfballl sized bruise on my face.. instead of losing 3 teeth...

So now I have a face shield and lots of PPE gear... keep it in good condition.. a new pair of gloves is better than 4 weeks of healing on a burn or cut or abrasion injury....