Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'bench'.
Found 4 results
So who know's anything about this beast. Was told it was from England...no way to confirm. No names, patents, numbers, etc... 5 feet 8 inches long. 12 inches wide. 3 inches tall 4 hardy holes that are different sizes from each other. Smallest just under 1-1/2 inches, largest around 2 inches. All 4 taper as they descend. Weight = heavy...I'm guessing more than 250 lbs.
I was asked to build an 8 X 4 oak dining room table and an 8-foot oak bench. Attached photos show I opted to make the bench first...large 2" oak slabs, 8 feet long are hard to handle...more on the table later...much later. The bench is 17" tall X 8 feet long - it's a piece of 2" oak with some good knots and grain. The finish is Minwax Golden Oak stain and 2 coats of clear satin Rustoleum enamel. The legs are 1 1/2" steel tube, deeply distressed under the power hammer, the spreaders are 3/4" square, twisted, then tapered under the power hammer. Leg wrappings are 1/4" round rod, tapered on both ends. The original structure did not have the turnbuckle brace...I put the bench together, then did a "2-large-men-load-test" and noticed that the deflection of the oak caused the legs to push out, with much heavy scraping on the floor. Since this will be a dining room table and knowing that the customer had just installed new oak floors (Golden Oak stained), I immediately thought of David Kailey's turnbuckle feature. The turnbuckle brace is a 1/2" galvanized piece...I burned it in a charcoal fire (outside) for a few hours to get rid of the galvanized shine. The tension rods are twisted 3/8" square rod. All surfaces were wire-brushed with a 4 1/2" HF angle grinder and coated with Rustoleum clear satin enamel. Final assembly passed a 4-large-man-load-test with almost no deflecttion and no outward spread of the legs. A gender-neutral "Maximum Load" label was attached...customer's kids will have something to read when they play under the bench...
My son came to visit for a few days - he asked me to help make a bench for his dining room table. We followed my previous bench/end table format, adding quarter-braces, as seen in the photos. The top is 2" oak, recently slabbed with an Alaska mill and dried for 3 weeks in my solar wood kiln (starting moisture 35%, moisture after 3 weeks less than 7%). Legs are 1 1/2" square tube, distressed under the power hammer, spreaders are 5/8" square and 3/4" square, twisted and tapered. Quarter-braces are 5/8" round and 1/2" round, textured and twisted. Wrappings are 1/4" round, tapered at both ends. Finish will be Minwax Red Oak stain and 2 coats of clear satin polyurethane...finish on the steel will be clear satin enamel. Note to those doing similar "wrapping" work: passing 30" 1/4" rod through legs that are 9" apart gets downright dangerous - best accomplished with a "torchman" (OK, torchperson) and a second person with pliers and a small hammer to tap the 1/4" into place, and they need to be very conscious of where their partner is at all times.
So Spokane has a bridge right over the Falls and a customer brought me a 4ft turn buckle and wanted some thing that looked "old Iron bridgey" but also wanted to be able to see the turnbuckle. So here it is....id have only used rivets but the customer wanted back up so it is welded.....even tho those old iron bridges where all riveted. lol. the most challenging part of this build was arching the 3" x 1/4" flat bar....the hard way.....it took a lot of work because the customer did not want a thinned edge.....from hammering the outside edge to help it curve....its hard to believe I know.... but it is 1/4" all the way across the arch.....As I forged I had to forge the extra steel from the inside edge across to the outside edge... this was a very painstaking task and those 2 arched took me over 3 hours to forge but....The arch is 3" x 1/4" all the way across. It don't look like much but it one of the best forgings i have produced with that level of difficulty.It was pretty tight arch because the base is only 14" across so and it took 20" of bar stock....so its pretty crunched up.... moved a lot of steel with the hammer and fire. I originally was just going to build a wedge to hold the turn buckle in place but the customer wanted the center strap to just pass thru the eyes on the turn buckle. So I removed the center strap and used a longer strap to pass thru and secure the turnbuckle.