I Forge Iron

Convert aviation sheet metal snips

Hi

Just starting out.  Scrounging around my shed looking for forgeable items.

Is there a standard way to take worn out aviation, or Wiss snips, and reforge them into tongs?  

Coming from a family of plumbers, we have plenty of worn out pairs kicking about.  Seems like the straight cutters just need handles welded on and some forging of the blades to make scrolling or flat tongs, or something equally usefull (looks like a good shape to start a small knife from as well).  Not sure What the steel is, molybdenum carbon steel according to the Wiss site. Must have been tried before!  Please advise.

image.jpeg

I'm sure you could if the steel isn't too much pain to forge and weld. It's not that difficult to forge tongs it's just not a beginner project. However, once you've forged a few punches, cold chisels and a couple rivet sets you should be about ready to give a pair of tongs a shot. When forging the punches, etc. use long stock so you don't need tongs.

Frosty The Lucky.

Awww c'mon Frosty. Facebook link removed They tell everyone that tongs are the perfect beginner project............ ;)

Personally I wouldn't mess with snips for tong ends because they are a heat treatable steel which isn't needed for most tongs. Of course you could always rivet some handles on to avoid the welding issues. 

I would lean more towards figuring out a way to resharpen them, or maybe use them for making small trimming scissors. Draw the handle parts out so you don't have to attach a handle, then get the blade section shaped, adjusted, and sharpened to where they will cut plant stems, cloth, etc.. Hmmmm, they could be handy as garden scissors. You could snip plants as well as wires, mesh,  and the metal  buckets that some plants come in.

on that fb page they also tell people how to melt drinks cans for casting and not to worry about liquid in them as it soon evaporates and that it is perfectly safe to use chromed hydraulic cylinder rods in your forge as the plating soon burns off, and to weld or grind anvils.

wish I could make good tongs

I wouldn't make tongs from snips either. If it is a forgable steel I'd be thinking of adding it to billets. Then again I'm not a bladesmith guy so I'd probably just let the pile grow.

Oh cool, ANOTHER FB page that not only demeans the craft but endangers folk in the process. While I don't wish ill on anybody I just hope people making such dangerous suggestions are practicing the processes themselves. That end of the gene pool maybe could use a little chlorine, hopefully before they pass on the stupid gene.

I'm not very good at making tongs myself but I don't practice.

Frosty The Lucky.

I only go so far to warn people anymore, there's always someone who doesn't know didly but are more than willing to share what they don't know. You see it here all the time. The big problem with idjits encouraging folk to inhale things like hexavalent chrome is it takes a long time to die of cancer so they get to share the stupid for far too long with far too many people.

While you can't cure stupid you most certainly can pass it around.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 3/27/2016 at 1:35 PM, Frosty said:

I only go so far to warn people anymore, there's always someone who doesn't know didly but are more than willing to share what they don't know. You see it here all the time.

Frosty The Lucky.

A M E N .

--------------------------------------------------------------

Being of a thoroughly pragmatic nature, I would not hesitate to modify a big pair of tin snips, into "tong-like objects".

While I'm sure that all the "true blue", "bona-fide" Blacksmiths out there are horrified at the thought of making a useful device by any means other than traditional forging practice.

My inclination would be to cut away the worn-out "snip" jaws, and arc weld new, useful jaws, onto the remaining portion of the snips.

------------------------------------------------------

Decades before I ever considered acquiring an anvil, and forge, I was making specialized "tongs" for transferring preheated stators, for electric motors, from conveyor ovens into automated powder coating fixtures.

I would fabricate the oddly shaped and very specialized "jaws", and weld them on to various types of pliers.

Since the powder coating process was very new at that time, there were no commercial  sources for tools of that sort.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:35 PM, Frosty said:

While you can't cure stupid you most certainly can pass it around

two most common elements, in this world, hydrogen, and stupidity.

Littleblacksmith