I Forge Iron

Corn Forge

nashdude

Someone mentioned this yesterday, and it sounded like a really interesting alternative to coal or charcoal. I know a few of you have tried this, so if you wouldn't mind, I'd like some comparison (especially since I can get yellow feed corn for $6.75 per 50lb hehe)

1) How hot will a corn fire get compared to a charcoal or coal fire?

2) Will a corn fire get welding hot, or just forging hot?

3) How FAST will a corn fire get forging hot?

4) How fast will a corn forge go through fuel compared to a coal forge? How fast will a corn forge destroy its fuel compared to other forges?

What I'm looking for is as indepth an analysis---effectiveness of fuel, durability, cost comparison---as I can possibly find. It won't matter much to the overall design of my forge. I just want to be fully informed on what my options are, pros and cons.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A number of guys have used corn in their forges and most say it behaves more like coal than charcoal as it sticks together like coking coal. It'll weld. I don't recall any comparison for consumption vs. work done.

That'll be up to you so please let us know what you find out. Take careful notes, we like good data.

Frosty

A number of guys have used corn in their forges and most say it behaves more like coal than charcoal as it sticks together like coking coal. It'll weld. I don't recall any comparison for consumption vs. work done.

That'll be up to you so please let us know what you find out. Take careful notes, we like good data.

Frosty

I'll do my best. Just remember, I'm still a smithing newb, so don't expect super-expert documentation :P

Wullo!
In my experience corn works just like coal. It burns at the rate of charcoal, and the flame from the burning gasses is very very large. It definitely gets up to welding heat, and you can burn steel in the heat.
be merry,
Archie

That, my friend, is EXACTLY what I was looking for. If I remember my notes, charcoal is consumed faster than coal, right? Which would mean that although corn behaves like coal, and is similar to coal in regards to heat, you go through more of it faster. Also, if it produces such a high flame, it seems as if it's more volatile than either coal or charcoal. Excellent details. Any others?

nashdude says $6.75 per 50 lb. bag. That's what good smithing coal is going for here in these parts but corn would certainly be easier to come by and closer to home.

Specifically what sort of corn are we talking about here and does it have to be dried or anything?

Can I go to the farm up the road with a pick 'em up truck and have Cletus fill up the bed right from the combine with cow corn and use that just as it is?

BTW I've never had a problem keeping mice out of my coal heap but this could raise some concerns.

When I saw the title I thought that you may have a "wood gasser" stove or as I learned, a producer gas stove I was looking at last night on you tube. This was the gas Europeans used during WWII because of the shortages of oil. It is mostly carbon monoxide, it will kill you, but it works quite well but isn't too high in heat content compared to oil or the numerous types of gasses. Interesting post and information.

Tell us more about your updraft forge. Has it been discussed in the past?
I was introduced to gasifiers and built mine in this thread:
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/fuel-5001/

Not much has changed since then, a couple different ovens (volume and opening size), and the grate burned out (now I have a piece of thin firebrick laying on ashes in the bottom). Next time around I'm going to make it modular, a base with ash cleanout and a (brake rotor) grate; a center section with larger tubes (6" inner and 8" outer); and the oven, which I made a box with tapered sides to form. The air valve will be external so the air to the grate is not preheated. My present oven is from the box but I have some improvements in mind. I'm still trying to get hotter than bright orange - I can't weld (although I have seen it done at that temp) but I haven't burnt any steel.

I took it to a club meeting to demo it, and the guy I got to help load it up said it looked like a big ant hill. Later I had some wood with ants in it, now I call it 'Ant Hell'. :D

Good Luck! Edited by BeaverDamForge

A lot of folks use corn in pellet stoves in this part of Maine. It burns hot, relatively clean and it produces a cliker of sorts from the carbonized sugar. Obviously the corn is dried. I am not certain what the burn rate would be for forging. Good luck.

Peter

• 2 months later...

I had a dedicated corn stove for two winters. It kicked out some serious heat. Clinker was an issue and the exhaust had a delightful smell very similar to burned microwave popcorn.

I got rid of it once the local grain elevators started to only sell corn in $5.00 50lb bags vs. the 66lb bushel at market price that at the time was around $3.50

One would need a electric blower from what I've seen corn is like coke and needs that constant air.

The good thing about burning corn is VERY low levels of pollution. We all know how bad burning coal/coke is for the environment. We have a bunch of corn farms right near here-I think I'll try it. Don't forget that it is a renewable source of energy also. Great idea.
Mark

In my experience Corn will burn very fast compared to coal, It will burn very hot though. It sparks just like or a bit more than charcoal so watch out for that the best part is that it sticks together even better than coal. I can make a 5 Gal bucket of coal last ~8 hours easily but it will take the entire bucket of corn in about 1 - 1.5 hours. If you had a way to use the corn gasses you could do more with less t would think. I have had no time to look into building a biogasser yet though.

well, I already go through A fair amount of charcoal per session which is usually 2-4 hours, so If corn could save me anything, weither it be time, or give me longer burn with less it would be nice...I use homemade charcoal, but the rate at which I burn through it, and the rate at which I produce are very different...I produce on rather small scale, so, corn could be the thing to do...