I Forge Iron

texted steel

Jacob s

I actually saw someone do lettering on a blade (I think it was on "how it's made") where they didn't put the whole blade in acid but rather did some sort of either chemical or electro-chemical etching right on the blade using some kind of a stamp. They didn't wax the blade either. But again Ii think it was more of a watermark and not doing a larger embossing or writing, in which case Dan's suggestion is better. You might want to ask the guys at Caswell Plating or other companies who know specifically about etching processes.

The other idea would be to engrave, or have it engraved.

Nothing wrong with wanting to make a blade, but a sword is not a thing you can just jump in and make the first day out. there is a lot more behind swords than just shaping the blade too. because a sword is much more than just a large knife, there are vibration dynamics that have to be accounted for in the construction as well as balance. and we have not even talked about what metal to use or how to heat treat it.

If swords are your goal, I suggest that you begin by learning about the general forging that is common to all forms of iron work. As attempting to start with a sword is like trying to win a NASCAR race before you have a drivers license.

There are many fine books and teachers on the subject, as well as a sword section in the forum, which perhaps is where you should have posted this to begin. Read all you can before jumping in, and you will have a better chance of getting where you wish to be.

actually i also listed a the beginning, or knife blade, but still,nothin wrong whith knowing in advance is there? i also resent the implication that i would think of asword as a larg knife, having held both, i would be ashamed to not know the difference

Edited by Drenched_in_flame

I have done acid etches where i wax a portion of the blade and build up a small wax dam around the area to contain the acid, i was able to etch a roughly 1" by 3/4" inch stamp into the steel with a few tablespoons of acid, be sure to do this over a container in case the acid spills out of the dam.

i also resent the implication that i would think of asword as a larg knife, having held both, i would be ashamed to not know the difference

I would not take this as a slight towards you. I think the comment was more about the fact that making a sword is more difficult than making a knife because of its size. Good for you that you have a goal to work towards. It is the best way to make sure you make the progress you want to. Good luck.

actually i also listed a the beginning, or knife blade, but still,nothin wrong whith knowing in advance is there? i also resent the implication that i would think of asword as a larg knife, having held both, i would be ashamed to not know the difference

After translating your post; I see that you would be ashamed (and in another post state "insulted") that I explain swords work differently than knives, but you have no shame to confuse a sword with chisels, hammers, etc, and then post here before doing any research on your own part, expecting outlandish things with no facts nor reference outside of video games or television shows?

I am having a hard time deciding if this is for real or you are just trolling. I have tried to give you a break. If you want to run with the big boys and make a real sword, at least try to learn a few things on your own (books, internet, or try to search this site in previous posts) and you may understand why you have been getting so much flack for your proposals.

:rolleyes:beg pardon, i dont recall posting anything refrencing swords to do the jobs of chissles and hammers,unless you reffer to the strong steel thread in wich i hope i clerified what i meant by that, also, i dont really watch television shows and i am not to keen on videogames either. though i have done some of my own research long before i actually had the means to build my own forge. what i am trying to say is that many of the questions i have are just roundabout ways of varifying information,and verry few are to settle my own curiosity.

so i also would dearly love to know how asking how to engrave or etch words on the steel is an "outlandish" question.

let me see, now correct me if i am wrong but i believe a sword is forged using a variety of techniques to make it not only longer, but stronger than a knife. it also has to be hard enough to hold an edge all the way down to the tip. aside from hardness, it also has to be strong and flexible as to, whithout breaking, absorb impact shock. and as a knife could be made from one peice of metal and still be fully effective, a sword would be too weak if it was all including the hilt and gaurd one peice of steel, so to avoid that problem, the blade and tang are made seperatly from the hilt and gaurd.

The engraving of letters, designs and other such things is routinely done by gunsmiths on cold steel for guns, knives and swords. They use a set of tools called gravers. These are not your every day ordinary chisels. You can make your own by buying tool steel but it is usually easier to buy your own as the price ranges between $7 to $16 for each graver plus you need to buy a handle and a chasing hammer. It does take some practice to do a decent job of engraving so don't expect to get it done right the first time. Good luck in your endeavors.

guess momma didn't teach manners growin up..folks here tried to "correct" and steer you right. ya so self absorbed ya won't listen-you on your own. be well and prosper! but do not disregard any previous advice on your wrong- consept or doings. as far as i concerned ya...well vid-kid i don't know you and vice-versa but you just a know it all that has no idea what it takes...even i don't...but i will listen and not get upsett cause i know i don't know,sincerely,jimmy seale

i am sorry if that is how i came across, it was not my intent to sound such. but i have no idea what questions like 'how old are you?' have anything to do with anything, and i know its not all about me. so if i did come off sounding like an "ungrateful know-it-all", then i truly apollogise, iit was the farthest from my intent,i mean, why would i aask questions if i thought i knew it all. and as to the last part, i was not getting "upset because know i didnt know", i was simply stating what i learned in response to apprenticemans question about what i thought was the difference, not trying to sound like i was unwilling to listen, so again, i apologise for comming off in an unintended manner.

Drenched, You surely have gotten a lot of help on here and some of it I know you did not ask for but a lot of us learn from that. I for one would really like to know how youare going to put this new knowledge to use and maybe you could share with us some pics of progress you make as a result...Glad it helped if it did...have fun