I Forge Iron

texted steel

Jacob s

@ Drenched in flame. Learning to use gravers well or even exceptionally well is like wanting to be a master sculptor, while forging excellent blades is like wanting to be a master painter. It's a great deal to ask of a person. If your serious about putting not just inordinate amounts of time but also a great deal of money into this talent then it is not an unreasonable goal. There are lots of books on engraving, using gravers, as well as on pattern welded blades, knife making, etc on amazon.com and at your local borders and barnes and nobles. This is a good place to start.

I think your question though is putting the cart before the horse. Learning to engrave blades is like wanting to learn how to expertly decorate cakes before you even understand how to bake. If you just want to learn to engrave and the whole engraving on swords is just an idea then you should try the engravers cafe (google it). It's a web forum like iforgeiron

Everyone is right here about putting in your dues, not because we advocate elitism or any esoteric knowledge of bladesmithing, but rather because laying down the fundamentals are vital to have a solid understanding. Once you have those down then branching off to engraving, etching, stamping, etc will be far more reasonable.

I'm with Avadon. Learn and UNDERSTAND the fundamentals, it's paramount.

Regardless of the skill or trade or craft or art unless you do so you will either never reach your true potential or waste a lot of time getting there.

One of the great things about Smithing and metal working is the variety of branches you can explore, but you'll find it far more rewarding doing so when you have a solid foundation to work from.

Just my tuppence

• 4 weeks later...

Etching & engraving weren't only methods used in history.You can also inlay letters-there were various metals for this method:iron,pewter,gold,latten.Check on the Ulfhberth's and Ingerlii's swords-http://www.vikingsword.com/
Btw,I have had forged sword blade in my hands for the 1st time around '84,I was apprentice at that time and very impressed.Anyway,it took me more than 10 years of everyday practice before I was ready to make one the proper way and even today I'm not completely sure,if I do it right...

• 3 months later...

Christopher, that is a modern representation but I assure you all historical techniques and methods were used. I know the maker, Jeff Pringle, has explained the construction of that sword on another forum.

Edited by mod07
copyrighted photo removed