I Forge Iron

Blubber Head

When I first saw the title I thought you wanted to talk to me! Just kidding I only thought of the straight line I could give you a poke with. Yeah, kind of an Iforge harpoon.:P

Oh PLEASE torment away, I love the things you make, just Blubber-head's proportions bring a smile to my mug. Normally I start seeing things I could add, change, etc. when people post pics of art but Blubber-head can't draw a single addition from my voices. HAPPY, DANGEROUS, SURPRISED. Blubber-head makes me smile.

Frosty The Lucky.

Please don't stop tormenting the forum with your stuff! I happen to love your sculptures. 

It's funny you named it Blubber Head from the appearance of a whale, because I saw Blubber Head - then saw the sculpture - and thought 'derpy' and figured that's what you meant, lol

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

the title

Yeah, I rue the day I picked that title...:rolleyes:  I could have thought up something, anything, else.  "One Eyed Galoot"?  Thangs for kind words...:)

13 hours ago, Shainarue said:

I happen to love your sculptures

Thank you so much!  I am smiling all day now... :)  

9 hours ago, Irondragon Forge ClayWorks said:

I must admit that Blubberhead is not one of my favorites

Trust me, not one of mine either....;)   Lol, I have 50 or more of those plates still left and I tried making other things with them.  They are not good for much else when there is better stock to choose from, and I'm fairly well burned out on using them.

Debi has a keen, artistic eye...:rolleyes:

Thank you Debi! :)

Edit window ran out....

Now it merged them.  Sigh........

17 hours ago, Frosty said:

Iforge harpoon.

My junior year in high school, I made a harpoon for my English teacher while we were studying Moby Dick*. He used to carry it while monitoring study hall, to keep the eighth graders quiet.

Some years later, it was sitting on top of a shelf of books in the English teachers' shared office when one of the other teachers accidentally dislodged it. I'm told that it slowly and gracefully slid down to the left and speared the copy machine.

*This was the same teacher who, suspecting that not everyone in the class had finished the book, included on the unit exam the question, "What happens right after Captain Ahab kills the white whale?"

The first time I saw it, I saw a “minion” that took a hard left hook to the jaw.

I can see the whale, but wouldn’t have seen it without your explanation.

Keep it fun,

David

That's the good thing, it can be whatever you see in it...:)

5 hours ago, lary said:

Scott I like the shock an awe you provide.

Thanks lary, that's a feather in my cap!

I made a stainless steel shark spear once and could never figure out where to put it as it's fabricated.  I cheated and used a throwing knife.   I'll put it here.   I suppose it's a harpoon of sorts. :ph34r:

c1_20240228_12562426.thumb.jpeg.49392c4d51d3074eb196cf3b92bc2720.jpeg

c1_20240228_12570239.thumb.jpeg.24660877ff3f744d040e2f1d99055a51.jpeg

Everybody finds things they don't like about their own work, Scott. Normal normal. have you shown us a pic of those plates you're using? 

The California board of edu. wouldn't allow anything on school grounds that (their words) "could be used as a weapon." Many of us were martial artists, while far from a brown belt I could still ruin your day with a sheet or rolled up notebook paper. Make a harpoon and they'd have the police take you into custody.

Frosty The Lucky.

50 minutes ago, Frosty said:

have you shown us a pic of those plates you're using? 

They are scrap from hammer mills.  The only photo I have is of a short thick one of which I have very few.   I will take some of the thin ones later.  20170408_124028.thumb.jpg.e50829129f5baea221c2a8e4631435e3.jpg.9c89e0cac9265920d540f8d12281c124.jpg

It is funny, I can see interesting things in that old photo.  It's really cool how they wear after use.

18 hours ago, Scott NC said:

It's really cool how they wear after use.

I can only hope the hammer mill isn't processing food products, or if so that there is a pretty good magnetic separator in place! I think your little guy is just delightful Scott!

--Larry

Ah, thinking before or while I type is distracting and slows me down so it's hard to get all the words out. Besides if everybody started composing carefully and editing posts before submitting I wouldn't have nearly as much fun as I do. I know I contribute to the typo and goof pool regularly.

Frosty The Lucky.

18 hours ago, LarryFahnoe said:

only hope the hammer mill isn't processing food products, or if so that there is a pretty good magnetic separator in place

Actually it is a form of food, meal for hogs.  It went out in railcars but the hogs never seemed to complain about metal.  Where it went after that, I can't say........

The hammers came from a soybean processing plant and they have magnets everywhere.  It ran at 65-75 tons of beans per hour so it's kind of impossible to catch everything but there were some interesting things caught on those magnets, a lot went into my sculptures....:).

I once dropped my car keys into a full elevator silo of beans and they showed up 5 days later stuck to a elevator leg magnet.  I mentioned to the guys running that department I lost them.  The key fob even still worked after going through screws, drags and conveyor belts, and being stuck on a magnet.

Okay, so there is food that needs a hammer mill to prepare for consumption. The wear pattern on the hammer appears to be a flow pattern like water erosion on a boulder. Guess I'll rethink any urge I get to chew dried soybeans or heck any dry beans. 

I don't think I could've resisted bringing a few of those home if I had the opportunity. Wish I had the knack for making cool sculptures like you, Scott.

Frosty The Lucky.

Feed is food isn't it?  Maybe not people food but critters are eating it. Now you have me wondering if I could boil 1/4 cup up and make hot cereal for breakfast. 

Back in the day I was tinkering with burners and doing a lot of reading, the "air amplifier" really got me interested and though it made a lousy burner it turned out to be a real industrial powerhouse material handling thing. Grain for example was being moved in ducts driven by air amplifiers. The amplifier's output is along the wall of the driver and spreads to form a strong boundary layer in the grain chute or whatever. Soooo, grain can't touch the walls of the duct and gets blown in the wind. 

One use was / is(?) to fire grain into a steel target plate at something like 350-400 mph and turn it into flour which gets carried on in the air stream. How fine it's ground is determined by velocity. 

The Dyson hand driers that catch water drops and don't make a breeze outside the machine use similar boundary layer fluidics. There is a ceiling air circulator that works the same way. . . sort of.

It makes me think your old soybean plant could modernize a little and a person sitting in a control cab could vacuum the grain out of trucks and it would be blown to be stored or turned into whatever size feed was wanted. Just LOUD blower kind of noise, grain in flour out. 

Frosty The Lucky.

It's been many years since I worked there.  I don't think moving product by air would be feasable in that place.  It would probably have to be torn down to the ground and started from scratch.  It's an industrial dinosaur, added to ad hoc over time.   Everything that can be is lined with hard ceramic plates and tiles that are glued on with silicone which eventually falls off and binds up anything with a moving part.  I toured a new plastics plant that used air for moving plastic pellets around and it was pretty impressive, but that was years ago.  The idea of firing beans at a plate might not work either, the place uses liquid hexane to extract the oil and the "flour" would surely plug the extractor up with one giant, monsterous doughball.  It requires beans to be made into "flakes", kind of like a cornflake shape.  A lot of it runs under vacuum, as well.  It makes me wonder how things have changed over time though.

I bet the newer technology they use today would be pretty impressive.  Out of curiosity I looked around a bit on the net about this.  Green Bison built a plant recently that does 150,000 bushels a day and with my shabby round up, down and all around math equals roughly 189 tons an hour.  That's a lot.

Oh you've talked about the bean plant before, there's no way to upgrade it much without scrapping it and starting over. You can adjust how fine the air gun into a steel plate breaks grain but I don't know how to adjust it to "flake". Maybe fire the grain through closely spaced blades? 

I can't even visualize 150,000 bushels of grain. How many RR gondola cars would that be?

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm worn out on math.  43?

On 3/2/2024 at 3:17 PM, Frosty said:

Maybe fire the grain through closely spaced blades? 

I'll start on a prototype.  Maybe I get rich from your idea.