I Forge Iron

Curio's, Curiosities and Artifacts

Scott NC

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tilleys and petromaxes are mantle lamps where you pressurise the fuel reservoir.

Coleman does same thing, but different fuel.

Tilley use lampoil or kerosine (lampoil is clearer kerosine, less aditives so cleaner flame), coleman uses petrol (or there expensive version of it).

Different fractions, same priniciple.

Lampoil or kerosine or petroleum are more or less the same. Difference is additives and design. But all heavier fuels, safe to handle. Better for heating and lighting

Petrol is more dangerous, with the lower flashpoint and higher evaporation rate.

Original intended of the lamps is different, hence the different fuelsources.

Coleman has a verion on gas as well. Campinggaz also. Gives of a nice white light and lots. Unfortunatly when camping, the mantles are fragile to bumps (can be in the car) so keep a spare close.

We had those Coleman lanterns when i was a boy scout. I remember them always being a pain in the ... to light. 

We went camping once, this could go under the "embarrassing moments", it was night and i was helping put up the big tent. I had Coleman that i was  toting around. I set the lamp down got down and set a stake. When i got up i put my hand on top of the lantern to give myself a boost. I spent that weekend camping with 2nd degree burns on the palm of my right hand. Not fun. 

And wasn't that a KODAK moment, Billy? IIRC the second time that happened when I was a Boy Scout only scout masters or some of the more alert scouts were allowed to handle Coleman lanterns. Heck, being in S. California most of us weren't allowed to handle fire except to put a piece of wood on the fire. Well, we all practiced starting fires but boy HOWDY would you be in trouble for starting one outside a designated fire pit which were more stoves than fire pits. At one point it was seriously considered to ban matches, lighters, flint and steel, etc. for all but the scout masters. Southern California is a very flammable place, look how it burned recently. 

The trick to lighting a Coleman lantern is to just crack the fuel so it preheats the tube and wick to the mantel and turn it up gradually. If you get it right it looks like you just light it and the mantel puts out light. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, didnt you guys have to have your firem,n chit to be able to play with fire? We had to earn one of those before we were allowed fire starting materials or be allowed to start the fire. We also had to have our totin' chit to be allowed to carry a knife or axe. 

Irondragon, you have a nice collection of lamps.  Dad had a some as well, but my sister has them.  I do have a tiny potbelly stove that he kept near his recliner vented out the sidewall.  He liked to run it on cold nights, probably more for the fact than heat,  but he also used it as we would use a paper shredder today.... :ph34r:

I will have to dig it out and take a photo.

When we use the wood stove it also digests the sensitive paper.:) Last summer we culled about ten years of records (tax returns etc.) and because I was filling in the bank in front of the tractor for more room to park it, those went under 10x6 feet of dirt fill.:o

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Yes we did Billy but you have to understand Southern California in the dry season, say about 9-11 months a year average. Making a 1 match fire to earn a fire starter (or whatever it was called 57+ years ago badge didn't count, you could start a 2"x4" on fire with one match. IIRC nobody under 18 could legally carry fire makings off roads. There were times smoking in your car was illegal and we were cooking on a Coleman stove.

Badges we earned in Cub Scouts carried to Boy Scouts.

Yes for belt knives but we got away with our pocket knives provided we didn't misuse one once. Then you had to pass the test and earn the right. Hatchets and axes were only allowed at the fire ring. We were expected to collect dead fall so no chopping fire wood away from the fire ring. Wood saws we were allowed, I had a nifty wire saw. Probably still do somewhere, I'm sure the folks never tossed or gifted my old Scout gear so it's in one of those boxes. In Boise Id with my Sister.

I LOVED Jamborees!

Frosty The Lucky.

To go along with the Aladdin lamps, I picked up an Aladdin Blue Flame kerosene heater. It works very well and has been used several times to add heat downstairs when the propane wall furnace was out of order waiting on a tech to get here to fix it.

AladdinBlueFlame100_2224-1.thumb.jpg.8ab386393e381f6c860e11cf42ffacf4.jpg

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

If done to August Destouy's approval.  I think I saw one of his machines at the flee market, but passed on it.  I have three models of his already in storage back home.... Where the boot is.  :)

Edited by Scott NC
Fix Some Thing

You didn't? I thought I was perfectly clear. You know what they say, better late than never. I think I'll mark the day on my calendar, catching you on something is a rare and precious thing.

Better still I learned something having to look "August Destouy" up. I trust this won't be the last time.

Frosty The Lucky.

Here is an interesting curiosity from this area, it is a piece of float copper. Float copper is native copper that was moved by the glacier in the last ice age. The Keweenaw penisula had big veins of pure copper which the glacier plowed up and moved as it moved. Float copper can be found as far south as the glacier got southern Michigan northern Illinois, but most of it is found closer to the source in the UP of Michigan. It is also found in Wisconsin. This piece I bought at a auction here in WI. No one there recognized it it was in a line of stuff on the ground. I spotted it and instantly recognized it. Well, when they finally got to the stuff on the ground I got the choice bid at $5.00 and said I'll take the rock. Everyone looked at me with that "what village is missing it's idiot" look. A couple of folks looked at it when I packed it to the truck I put it in their hands and the light bulb went on but I would't sell it to them. This piece is 18 lbs about 13" long with beautiful green patination. I was happy to walk away with a thousand dollar plus beautiful piece of float copper for $5.00. Folks still find a lot with metal detectors in the UP most that you see is small dime to palm sized. The more size and interesting shape the more it is worth. A friend found a 78 lb piece in Wisconsin while metal detecting old logging camps he carried it a long waay to his truck. Turned down $6,000.00 offer on it still has it with the tale to tell. Incidently the largest recorded piece weighs in at 53,100 pounds! It was found metal detcting in the vicinity of the old Qunicy mine on private property 30 years ago.

DSC01298.JPG

DSC01299.JPG

Nice score! I assume you're aware of all the ancient hand dug pit mines on the UP, and vicinity. By ancient the mystery of where all the copper came from to support the bronze age came from was solved then xray spectroscopy and it turned out that a large majority of the copper in bronze age came from the deposits around the Great lakes. In fact, the almost perfectly preserved Dead sea ship wreck has copper ingots in the "hold" from those deposits.

Columbus? HAH!

Frosty The Lucky.

There have been lots of odd minerals found in glacial till and moraines.  There have even been diamonds from kimberlite pipes in Canada found in Wisconsin and Illinois.

Frosty, do you have original references for the evidence of New World copper in the Old World?

GNM