I Forge Iron

Blower suggestions

tobykilroy

Hi,

I'm currently using a small camp bed pump with my forge and aside from leaving me shattered the air flow doesn't seem to be consistent enough. After a bit of research I have found out that buying one new will set me back a bit more than I can spare at the moment.

Can anyone suggest a good, readily available alternative?

Thanks in advance,

Toby

try going to a heating or airco repair companny, sometime they have broken units , but , with a working fan in there. you can get em at junk prise usually, but you'l have to take apart the unit yourself.
also an old vacum cleaner in reverse.. but thats a bit of a noisy sollution.

a shop vac on a dimmer is what i used for awhile..on the lowest setting thevac still put out too much air so i made a valve form pvc and carboard!
worked great...just hook the hose on the vac to the blow spot and your ready to go

Try ebay for a hand crank blower...got mine from there for 70 bucks! 10 bucks to ship it
witch =80 bucks.....blower works GREAT

I use a ten dollar hair dryer with a valve made of pvc "T" and steel sheet, the sheet fits into the opening thats 90 degrees from the two others but cardboard would be better because it could be cut easier and get a better fit because of that.. also the one that the carboard fits into needs to be parallel to the ground so it won't fall out and should be left open to allow the air to escape when the valve is closed completley

m brothers champ is a real wonder. It is the fan and housing from a 14 inch champion that Some long past smith updated with a GE electric motor. When I first hauled it home and rewired it I shot a mouse nest clear across the yard with it. I'm glad he's happy with it.
Finnr

My shop forge (coal) has a blower/injector from an oil furnace with adjustable air flow that can be tuned with a lever on the front of the forge from a slight breeze to enough air to blow the fire outta the pot! The furnace was being replaced with a natural gas heater so I got the blower and a bunch of working stock just for hauling it off.

After I broke the handle off of my buffalo blower, I dissassembled an old vacuum cleaner, made a slide gate and it worked great. Recently John Rausch gave me a blower that was made for this purpose, even better!! but the old vacuum motor is still standing by!!