I Forge Iron

auto dark welding helmets

JAllcorn

I could not get the arc struck in the right spot with a conventional helmet. I just could not make a decent weld. Then I got an auto dark helmet at HF. I still can't make a decent weld but am no long in danger of going blind! I went to a flux-core wire welder and it does what I need to do. A bit messy but I can put the bead where I want it.

I am a hobby welder and have considered getting an economy auto darkening helmet from Norther Tool. I have been concerned about safety though. I know that my fixed shade helmet works if I have it lowered, I am not sure about how to interpret the switching speed numbers, like what is too slow. The article had some information but not quite enough for me.

I bought a cheapy auto dark from HF and it worked fine but you couldnt adjust the shade which is a serious disadvantage and it never fit right. Welding is a delicate tricky business and fighting a helmet that is sliding out of position doesnt help. I gave it away and bought a Lincoln from Lowe's for $100 which is much better. Sometime I would like to upgrade to a better one from Miller or similar.

The undarkened shade on the lens is about a #3 this is enough to protect your eyes from the UV in ordinairy cases unless you are welding with 1/4" rod and larger. The extra darkening that is triggered is for "comfort" the mfrs say. They mean so that you can see the weld thru the glare. These helmets are designed so that even if the electronics fails completely, you will not be injured. Consider the fact that companies like Lincoln are perpetually being sued by welders for injury by their products. They wouldnt sell these helmets if they didnt give failsafe protection.

I had this argument elsewhere online and actually did the math to calculate the exposure to the eye in the case a helmet failed. I guess if you ignored the fact that it wasnt darkening and continued welding all day, you could get into trouble. Also, and dont tell anyone I did this, I once absent mindedly put on my cutting mask, a #3 shade, and started a bead with the stick welder. The effect was like trying to do OA welds w/o any mask. It was way too bright to see anything. I stopped immediately ( one or two secs) with no ill effects. I didnt even have to wait for my eyes to recover. I dont recommend this experiment :)

If you are a professional welder, the HF version is clearly not going to meet your needs. Neither do their mechanics tools meet the needs of professional mechanics. However, I am neither so for those occasions I need to weld, the HF helmet works just fine. I have a 20 year old HP 42S RPN programmable calculator that I rely on, too. They don't make them anymore and I don't know what I will do if it dies. I refuse to use the TI wannabes and the Japanese machines with more buttons than Heinz has pickles. Use what works for you.

I've used one for years. Mostly with stick welding, but more recently with MIG. I got it at the local welding shop when they first started coming out. It fit right in to my old helmet's 2x4 opening. My only objection is that I occasionally get a light flare if I'm MIG welding at a low setting. It's not enough to cause major problems, but it is annoying. My dealer told me that was a problem with the early models and that the major manufacturers have corrected this. It's a good alternative to buying an entire helmet.

Ive used $50 helmits and ive used $400 helmits..When I got my first auto helmit I nearly cried I was so happy :D Man did it make welding pipe so more enjoyable to me..Then it was a major boon in fabrication too...I have a Northern tools helmit in my home shop but Ive been using Jackson and Miller helmits at work for some time..I weld a lot of aluminum and SS so a good helmit is a must..

I am getting real close to 70 years old. My eyes have gone through all of the processes that old eyes go through over the years according to my doctor. He said they will not take much more abuse with out having profound problems. I guess arc flashes are out from now on!
This post has really got my attention to the point that I conducted my own study beyond what was found here.
As a result, I decided that due to my un-willingness to give up blacksmithing and welding, that I had to arm myself with better equipment to continue to work safely.
First I wrote down what basic functions a helmet would be required to have in order to meet my basic needs.
I considered both the cost of many helmets v. helmet operational attributes. Both cost and function were weighed against each other.
After closely reviewing what was available, I finely chose an

ok I got a question. What about standard welding helmets in terms of protection? i use a shade 10 I think? but I have slightly dry itchy feeling eyes after welding and couldn't exactly understand what the article was saying about that. Is it caused by the UV? and is it bad?

I've borrowed auto-darkening helmets from co-workers on a couple of occasions and have to say they're amazing but I can't bring myself to spend more than $30CDN for a helmet.

Also....It rains a lot where I live and I wouldn't have the intestinal fortitude to take an expensive, auto-darkening helmet into the field. It's another thing to consider when buying one, right?

BTW: on a rainy day you can put your shaded lens into the mask part of the helmet and just put a clear lens in the flip-up part to use as a visor. Welding in the rain will still be terrible, but you'll see a little better.

Anyway.....One place I think they would be great is if you had to do a lot of tacking in a production shop. You could tack things together in a hurry without having to lift your lens to move between tack locations.....for those jobs where your worth is measured in how many pounds of wire/rod you lay in a day.

hill.josh
Re: UV eye protection while welding
Please keep in mind that I am no expert. What I am about to say is my opinion only. If I am incorrect, someone please correct my view about this issue. Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, I would like to define what we are, and what we are not talking about.

My response is directed to the use of a “standard glass lens helmets only,” that is obviously a fixed shade only, and the least expensive to buy.
Not to be confused with an “auto-darkening helmets that are available with a fixed shade”.
For example: An auto-darkening helmet with a fixed shade may go from an “off” setting of a #3 shade, right up to a fixed shade setting of #10 in (for an example) 1/3,500th of a second, or on up to 1/16,000th of a second or quicker.
That being said, again, we are speaking only about a standard glass lens with a fixed shade that stays the same shade of darkness all of the time.
I will try to narrow my opinion only to the issue you mentioned.
Part of your question was about potential damage by UV rays.
I understood the article to say is that "Because the filter has UV and IR coatings applied to it, eyes are protected from harmful rays regardless of active/inactive shade setting."
As I understand it, the other aspect of the issue is: What shade number should you use in order to control arc flash brightness, duration, and frequency when you weld so you will not have eye discomfort?
My opinion: The shade number that you use should allow your eyes to be comfortable during, and after welding. At the same time you need to be able to see your work while you are welding.
That could have a lot to do with the lighting of where you are welding, arc reflection back into your helmet, and how skilled you are at striking an arc without watching the pretty light.
I hope this helps some.
Ted T

hill.josh
RE: itchy eyes
Are you welding where there is plenty of ventilation? And is the smoke venting away from you? I've welding inside during the winter with less than ideal ventilation as the door is right by my welding bench and blows the fumes back into the shop as often as not (i did remember to wear my respirator under my hood though!). I've had similar problems in such conditions and always attributed it to the smoke/gases/fumes irritating my eyes. Any thoughts on this anyone??

-Aaron @ the SCF

Back on Topic.
We've got one of the HF/NT auto dark helmets in the shop. We share it between my brother, dad, me, whoever else is welding. Usually though, i just use my "manual darkening" hood that I picked up at Tractor Supply (2 fer $10 in the bargain bin!) The problem I have is that the auto dark always has SOME level of shading to it. When I am not welding, I don't want shading. That and the thing doesn't fit my fat head as well as my cheapo flip front hoods. Personal preference I suppose.

-Aaron @ the SCF

• 1 month later...

I purchased the aftermarket shade for my original welding hood. I couldn't see well enough to get started in the right place. The auto darkening lense has really helped. I would never consider myself a welder. I usually stick the metal together and then grind the ugly off.
Jerry

I have the option of using an auto helmut or a standard full face type, at work using a MIG. I choose the latter always, maybe because I'm so used to them, but also because I like being able to watch the glow of the metal between runs.
If I'm joining thin to thick pieces, or just plain thin work, I'll weld for a bit, stop with the gun in place and watch the heat build-up dissipate, then press the trigger and go again. Saves me from blowing holes etc. Ditto for filling in gaps or repairing those blow outs, weld briefly, wait for the glow to dissappear then proceed.
I learned that from a guy years ago on arc welders, and its something that just can't be done with an auto helmut. As soon as you stop welding normal vision returns (Duh!) and there is no sign of the tell-tale glow, so it lacks the nuances in the steel.
Just my opinion anyhow!

Cheers,
Makoz