I Forge Iron

auto dark welding helmets

JAllcorn

I use an Optrel hood, solar owered so no battery fuss and muss. Shade ranges from #9 to #13 and can 'dial on the run'. I am on my second hood, first one purchased in '96 for $460+USD, the second about 2yrs ago--$??? but was told about the same. Fortunately the company furnishes it! BUT, I would still have one. I weld every day, all day SMAW, GTAW, GMAW, FCAW. Some days it may be sch.10 1/2" TI, later same day sch160 14"c/s. Same hood, maybe different shade setting. I would not be without one.

The make a lense that is auto-darkening that fits into a standard hood, solar powered in various shades for around $80-$90. IIRC. I strongly advice getting an auto-darkening hood of some kind. The fatigue factor is also someting to concider.

Helmets that have a solar cell still use a battery, which is usually permanently installed and not replacable. The solar panel is used to recharge the battery.

I understand that. Point is, you don't have a battery that will fail you during a weld, which has happened to me several times on previous hoods.

• 2 weeks later...

Solar power does not mean you have to weld in or put the helmet in the sun to recharge. These helmets are weld powered, the solar cells in them charges the battery from the photons in the arc.

I first got an HF helmet. 1/25000 sec. Still works great after 4 years. Also have a Lincoln, also good, same speed, 2 years old now. Both work great, the electronics in the HF helmet are fine plus adjustable, the lincoln is good too but not adjustable.

Edited by frogvalley

I am using the MILLER ELITE auto darkening helmet. It has a larger lens than most of the AD helmets out there, plus it's fully adjustable for shade and speed. It's battery / solar both which is handy for me since the helmet spends most of it's life in a dark garage. I have had the helmet for about 18 months and my only complaint is the head gear (ratchet adjust) is already stripped out. I don't think I could weld with a fixed shield anymore. Welding is challanging enouugh for me with my "getting older" vision.