I Forge Iron

Loose Handles

jayco

It's been hot and dry here all summer. The handles on too many of my hammers,handled punches and chisels are getting slightly loose.

Is there some way of getting a little moisture to the wooden handles? Just some humidity to tighten them up?

I would prefer not to have to re-wedge all my handles, since I'm sure the problem will end as soon as it rains here.

Would an application of linseed oil do the trick?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linseed oil is a lot better idea than just water. When the wood swells with water the fibers get crushed. Drying out makes the crushed fibers a worse problem as the handle is even looser than before. Linseed oil will soak in and dry eventually so it stays there and dosen't evaporate out like the water.
Finnr

Linseed oil is a lot better idea than just water. When the wood swells with water the fibers get crushed. Drying out makes the crushed fibers a worse problem as the handle is even looser than before. Linseed oil will soak in and dry eventually so it stays there and dosen't evaporate out like the water.
Finnr

trouble with linseed oil is, if left out in the air(like outside) the oil will oxidase and turn the handle black.after a while the top layer turns to powder. I've been playing around ith WD40 as Hofi suggest for his hammers it does not seem to change the color of the wood and soaks right in Edited by jimbob
add coment

Well ya see. I'm already handling the handle with filthy dirty black hands so it makes little difference. The handle isn't for pretty it's to hold on to. I've used linseed oil for about 35 or so years on all kinds of tools and have yet to get a black handle from exposure to the air. But then maybe some folks do. WD40 seems to work but I guess I'm kinda old fashioned.
Finnr

the original question was ABOUT ''LOOS HANDLE''
In ALL my 20 years of forging I never wedged a hammer ALLWAYS GLUED the handle
to the hammer head . I started with 6 hours set epoxy and I still have hammers that are holding after 20 years !!!!!!!!! 6 years ago I started to use SIKAFLEX 11 FC and all the hammers that I forged and cast I used the SICA PU GLUE are holding without any problam.
The advantege of the SIKA is that it holds much better and because of the rubber like natuer it absorbs the vibration much better . and I am speaking about more then 1000 hammers that I sold in that 6 years time.
as for preserving the wood . In the last 10 years I used WD-40 .it is easy to use soaks very good into the wood and after 2 days there is no smell what so ever. I sprey it very thoroughly twice and let it dry for 2 days. NO complain about the smell. I do it only once in the hammer life time and Israel is a hot dry country !!.
I LIKE my handles to be as SMOOSE + SLICK as possible the more the better and I never had a blster in my hand,and I am forging hours long . IF ONE HOLD / GUID the hammer right he will never get a blister !!!!!!!
Hofi

Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. I'm gonna try the linseed oil(boiled, or mixed with turpentine).
I'll try the glue also.
I enjoy a good experiment. I'll be trying these different ways to secure handles.

I had always done mine the old fashioned way........wooden wedges.....and most of the time.......it worked.......but lately not so good.

As far as just soaking the hammer eye in water.....yeah, it works....but only temporarily.
As the wood swells, the wood fibers are crushed, I think........shortening the life of the handle.
But I must admit....I've done it.......when there was no time to refit a handle.......

3M 5200 is another moisture-cured polyurethane adhesive. It is available in 3 oz tubes as well as the caulk gun cartridge size. The 3 oz size would be a tremendous savings if you were shafting, say, three or less hammers. I've been using 5200 for over twenty years and swear by it. I also used to swear at it until I discovered it clears up nicely with mineral spirits until it cures.

I like to use mineral oil for my handles. I just use the food grade stuff for cutting boards. Keeps em from drying out and leaves no smells or residues or discoloration. About once a year I redo them just to be sure.

This also keeps the handles themselves nice and smooth. No splinters and such.

You definitely don't want to use water to soak em. This is just a quick fix with long term problems. Standard Anti-freeze is also poisonous and I don't know if you really want that sitting in your sweaty hands for hours on end.

That epoxy for keeping the heads on sounds great, but even then I would still use mineral oil to keep the handles themselves nice and smooth.

My 2cents.

Mineral Oil is sold in most stores in the health and medicine section, sold as a laxative. It is also the oil used in baby oil with only a little perfume added. (keeps your hammers as soft as a baby?) :)

I haven't used anything on any of my hammers yet, waiting on this thread to pan out into an agreed upon solution LOL