I Forge Iron

Coal Bins, how do you store your coal?

23 minutes ago, Anchor B. said:

Could a guy put coal in a grain tote bag (supersack)? I have some and thought that would be the best for me if it'd work, I'll store them under a shed also.

That how I keep my overflow of charcoal.  Main storage is in 55gal drum at the edge of a barn leanto roof so it can get rained on (hopefully) and stay damp.  When I get half dozen bags I drop 1-2 off at the local BBQ by work.  Usually good for a hot-link sandwich.  :wub:

I store my coal in 20 gal. plastic trash cans outside the forge area (they don't rust).  I use about 10 of them.  We get our club coal in 50# bags, so I dump two bags per trash can, which conveniently holds 100#.  I keep one next to the forge.  Easy to move around and switch out with a two-wheel dolly (saves my old back...).

Sacks get stored as sacks--out of the sun because the sun because the UV eats the sack material to dust very quickly.  Be careful when you buy--that the sacks you take haven't been sitting in the blazing sun long or they'll be close to done and you'll pay in hassles later.

Working coal (several sacks worth) is stored in a poly wheel barrow so I can move it easily wherever I want.

• 2 weeks later...

I found the plastic bags the coal and coke come in are UV deteriorating, they come apart if left in the sun too long, Fine if you know where you want your coal pile, not so much in the middle of the smithy.

I set up a pallet in the back corner of the yard, scrounged the top of a storage bin from the Goodwill, closed up the bottom and front cutout with plywood and covered it with an oil drip pan (Love those, good for covering a lot, including the forge table)

I just bang on it with the shovel before opening, in case any critters have taken up residence.

Coal1.jpg

Coal2.jpg

coal3.jpg