I Forge Iron

Clock or Spit Jack

You buy a copy of Moxon's "Mechnicks Exercises" and peruse the section on building one.  Note if you get a copy of the Facsimile edition they use f instead of s in the write up as it was published in 1703.

Lindsay's "Iron and Brass Implements of the English House" has a couple of drawings but they are not construction drawings.

Of course a dangle spit is much easier to make...

And a string jack is easier still.  Of course being a nail and a wound piece of string, there's very little forging involved.  I like smoke jacks, but with modern chimney flues, there's not a lot of places you could install one.

Nah, Digital for chat and video, analogue for pleasure reading. Plus I can take it into the shop without risking my laptop.  I've lost two or three phones in there already.

Heh, heh, heh. When I was looking to do serious work in my shop I'd planned on picking up a projector for my laptop so I could project plans on the wall or maybe even 1:1 scale on the bench top. Better than a chalk drawing eh? 

Not now though, I lose too much stuff in the shop, I'm hoping someday I'll find the electronic video recorder I lost first time I used it. I only take stills with the smart ? phone, I don't have a good way to hold it and don't want to lose it. 

I'll print what I want from PDF books to use in the shop. I hate to expose REAL books to that environment. :o Even if I have the book I'll download a PDF version and print sacrificial pages for the shop. 

Frosty The Lucky.

You can SEE images on your smart:wacko:phone? Folks who know me are finally getting the idea texting me is a waste of time. I can read them but HATE trying to type in the silly little keypad so I never return texts. Call and talk or send an email eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

I want a cell with a rotary dial. I can't get Dan, Deb's son the IT to write the app either. What good is marrying into kids if you can't get them to do simple stuff for you?

I liked my flip phone but when Verizon bought all the cell towers and took over services without paying roaming phones all needed the Verizon chip to work and gee whiz we had to buy new Iphones. <grrrrr>

Frosty The Lucky.

21 hours ago, Frosty said:

I want a cell with a rotary dial.

I have a rotary dialer on my Galaxy. It is just a digital app but it is kind of cool. The problem i have found though is i do not actually know anyones phone number anymore. If i need to call the woman, i just hit "old lady" the daughter "woman child" my dad "Geritol general" etc. 

20 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

always jingle jangling all day & night

My old ladies did that for a while, she finally figured out how to turn off her notifications. 

Thanks Jeremy but I realized Billy is right, I don't know anybody's number anymore. If they call I can save them by name or tell the phone to look them up. Yeah, I'm actually adapting . . . some. I do like being able to tell the phone to record audio of video verbally while it's in my  pocket. "Hey (secret phone name) record video" or Audio. It's a handy thing in a single party consent state, such recordings are admissible in an Alaskan court of law.

Thank you Steve! 

Oh NUTS. I think I downloaded it from this site already but can't find where it's saved or open a full screen view. Do I need to sign up with the site?

Frosty The Lucky.