I Forge Iron

What size mig

Hey guys. Hope all have been well. Several times ive had it suggested to buy a mig to zap the ends of steel cable. I thought i remembered them talking about cheapest hf, but im scared to buy something useless. Is there a figure or number i can check for to make sure its strong enough to zap 1.5-2" normal cable? I have no intention on ever using this for any other reason, so nice is a luxury.

Piĝsticker

Im trying to hammer cable on the ends so it wont just wear away and i can twist when it gets hot

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still havent youtubed mig. Can i just melt lots of small areas.( i guess $$$ models do big areas) and is there a size mig that is too small? Or does mig mean itll work?

Thanks for your help guys

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote.

YouTube is full of misinformation. All it takes for someone to make a YouTube video is a camera and internet connection. They really and frequently have no clue about what they are posting. It seems you do not know what MIG stands for.

MIG stands for Metal Inert Gas. Only inert gases or gas mixtures are used for the shielding gas when MIG welding. Typical inert gases used for MIG welding are argon and helium. These gases are usually used for MIG welding of aluminium and other non-ferrous metals. MAG stands for Metal Active Gas.

That means more equipment, plus the welder itself, you need a tank of gas, regulator, hose and a stand to hold it all. With a flux core wire welder the flux serves as the inert gas so all you need is the welder itself. Of course both welders need a spool of the correct wire for what you are welding.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Except the industry has loosened up on some of the definitions. MIG is a catch-all for wire electrode. Then you get to the type of wire, inner-shield, dual shield. I personally use straight CO2 for hard wire and dual shield at home, but at work we use an argon/CO2 mix with a different wire designed for mix gas.

As far as what the OP is asking, a 110 inner-shield welder will do him just fine, but a little buzz box stick welder may work better since it may be less expensive and fewer parts required. Cable and a clamp vs whip, nozzle, diffuser, tip, drive rolls. JMHO 

Make sure that the power supply, or outlet which will power your proposed welder is adequate.  I was really close to buying a flux core welder when I read on the box that it requires a dedicated 20 Amp outlet.  Power to my shop is supplied from an extension cord, so no welder for me yet.

Wow. Thanks guys. I definitely want as small and single unit as possible. This will take a day to read, take notes etc. Thanks again. Is mig a mythical arch welder?

Tx

Pigsticker

Thanks so mu h for power tip. That is a typical mistakei make. If i find a 20 amp outlet can i just run a cord? Could i just put a bigger fuse inside house box.

Many thanks

You can run a short cord of sufficient gage. And NO! Do NOT put a larger fuse in the box! Circuits are designed to carry a current load safely, fuses prevent it from carrying too high a load causing it to over heat and possibly causing a fire. Electrical fires typically start INSIDE a wall and are well and truly burning before you notice.:o 

Welding the wires on the end of cable is tacking it so it doesn't unravel.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey frosty, hope all is well.both very helpful. If you had a mig and someone asked you to tack cable, would you do it and how much per tack? I was thinking about craigslisting (i dont own it) for mig owner to tack but i wont afford their whole mig welders. So where you put a 40 watt breaker? On big box outside. Ive touched that big box at a previous trailer i lived in. I use to get 240 by running two 110 leads. That work

Thanks

These questions are why i fully admitted not knowing anything welding in previous posts. Im gonna have my mom use whatever i get if i cant do it myself (embarrassing huh?)

Tx

Ive got a years worth (about 5) of easy softball questions im gonna ask soon.

DOUBLE DITTO Steve!! Good LORD did you NOT understand what I told you above or do you just ignore advice YOU ASKED FOR? Messing with your electrical supply without the years of training necessary is begging for serious B A D happening. Probably not to you but how about your Mom taking a nap inside the house YOU JUST LIT ON FIRE? 

40 WATT fuse!? :o You don't know enough about electrical to do more than change a lightbulb. Seriously there is NO SUCH THING  as a 40 WATT fuse! That is like asking what color a C note is. 

Keep your hands OFF electrical systems! You've convinced me you know so little you shouldn't run tools off an extension cord! I'm not saying this stuff to hurt your feelings or embarrass you but I'd rather subject you to a public humiliation than see you kill yourself and your family doing something as utterly wrong as you just proposed.

Just don't do it!

Frosty The Lucky.

At least he didn't suggest putting a penny in the fuze socket.  (you have to be of a certain age to recall screw in fuzes which were what were used prior to breakers becoming standard.(1960s-70s?))

I do agree that folk who have minimal understanding and knowledge of things electrical should stay far away from wiring and circuts.  While I can do  it and have a reasonale understanding and am able to run domestic wiring electrical work tends to scare the bejezus out of me and I avoid it when I can.  I'm a plug and play guy.  The whole phase thing is lost secret knowledge of the ancients as far as I'm concerned.

GNM

Does a buzz box stick need more than regular amperage from the wall. It sounds good and like what im looking for. It seems as if i ran the cable off a new breaker to only 1 wellder it should be as safe a house wiring. Any ideas how much to pay for single tacks on 1.5 and 2".

Thanks

I dont know what it shows but i have a plug in meter too

Tx

Dont know . Im. A year ago every single body told me to get a mig at ht and now everbodies like whoa. Will that buzz box need a special plug or will wall 110 work. Im not sure if there is a welding store What does a welding store look like? Maybe there is one on my walk. Im in nc too. Is there a chain of welding stores. I will be so embarrassed if theres one on my walk

Tx

And i dont like gettiing free info from mom and pop stores to just by at ht dirt cheap and online. Thats just me

And the watt thing was just a mistyping. Its the weird autocorrect^_^

When people were telling you to buy a mig they mistakenly assumed you knew enough to read the power requirements on the welder and match it to the power you have where you were going to use it. This last question is reinforcing the realization we've had to come to, that you are NOT equipped to mess with electricity. NO, a buzz box typically draws MORE current for similar level of welding.

You're really scaring us! Why don't you call a welding shop and ask what it'll cost to run a bead on the end of the cable you have?

I have to ask. How old are you?

Frosty The Lucky.

Now thats just being ugly. I learned nothing but forge stuff before (fyi they only last about 1 year outside) and have a double burner coming now. Just a cheapie. My mom is in her 70s. What age could i be? If the guy says $500 a tack is that what i pay or is there a going rate?  I remember buttering. So how do you power it. Or if i had a electrician how would they or them do it?

Thanks all

This can be a dangerous hobby.  Based on your comments so far,  asking your age is a valid question, partly because you dont seem to understand what we have told you and to protect ourselves going further we need an answer about if you are just young of if there is another reason you dont understand

Other reason.

I got some cable going a few times by pulling the cable to right under the flame and melted itbut the melted debris had gotten sticky in forge1, i nicknamed him Fibley. 

And kids these days wont admit being 9. You gotta sneak questions like that

Thanks all

It has to be rated to run on 110 volt current and have a normal 2 or 3 prong plug (not the 220/240 plugs where the prongs are 120 degrees apart).  There are a number of small buzz box welders on Amazon.  I have been looking at them myself and would stay away from the ones that sort of look like a pistol grip electric drill.  They seem clumsy to me because you are lolding everything in your hand instead of just the cable and rod.  Scott's suggestion of buying from local retsil is good because you can take it back easily if there is a problem.

You may also want to see if your local community college offers an introduction to welding course.  It would be much better instruction than You Tube.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Gby. Thank you very much for numbers and names. Very good info. Do amazons plug into regular plug?

If not,  will anything regular den wall powerered be enough to tack cables ends? This will really be my SOLE use for this too.

Thanks for helping

I mean absolutely nothing rude by this but early off I was going to go into a lot of detail about welders and suggestions, but didn't have time to lay it all out.  Right now I'm afraid to with how confused I am at the responses to others. 

My only advise is to read through the safety section here, then read about safety using electric tools and welders. 

I mean no disrespect by this post. Only safety oriented.