I Forge Iron

Im Back!

SinDoc

Hide your hammers, hide your forges cause I have returned! Took a hiatus due to in law issues that prevented me from even touching a hammer last year, let alone forge something.

Ill have to try and upload a few pictures of what I have managed to hammer out since I finally got to forge for the first time in forever this week and am happy with the progress I have made.

I did manage to get a new anvil with much better rebound than my previous as well. Sadly, I spent the majority of my excess funds replacing my computer that died in December but the new one is quite the beauty. With what I spent on it, I could have bought a nice 2x72 grinder, a Chili forge and a slew of other blacksmithing goodies but alas, I am still a computer geek first.

Welcome back aboard.  Glad to see you again.

In-laws are a grab bag, sometimes great, sometimes not so much.  I used to tease my late wife by saying that things in her personality that I found to be endearing little quirks changed to things that shuld be subject to serious genetic research after meeting her extended family.

New computer looks great but, unfortunately, no electronic device will last as long as good blacksmithing tools.  But blacksmithing tools are much cheaper and easier to make.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome back, glad to see you're AVATAR again! Goodness, if that video doesn't finish downloading before I'm done writing I'm not watching it. 

We all have priorities, some not as much fun as others but what the hey, that's how it goes. Hopefully you'll use your new comp to make more than enough to buy all the smithing tools a boy could want.

Frosty The Lucky.

The video won't play for me. I was blessed with great in-laws when I married Debi. Used to tease her about only marrying her so I could have her mom & dad as my in-laws. Sadly her dad passed away years ago, but her mom is still going strong at 94 years old. Mom's birthday was on March 9th.

Deb and I both lucked out with the in laws. I swear my folks liked Deb better than they did me and hers were as good a folks as it gets. All are passed now. My Mother survived Dad by about 2 years and Deb's Dad survived Margie by maybe 4 months. They stayed on the job until they could retire. 

My folks were always the neighborhood "Koolaid" parents, there was always something cold to drink in the fridge and a place at the table. If someone couldn't find their kid they'd call us and even f it was past their curfew hanging out at out place was a get out of trouble card. 

I had a great Kid-hood!

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah it was a short clip, didn't want a long one sucking up everyone's bandwidth although it doesn't seem to matter since no one can get it to play anyways lol. I can try to load a few pictures of it later, but pictures don't do all the glowing RGB goodies justice.

On 4/1/2023 at 9:57 AM, BillyBones said:

Hey doc, welcome back. Was wondering what ever became of you, and a few others, the other day. 

Yeah in July of '21, my darling wife let her older sister come live with us in what was supposed to be a short ~3 month stint while she found her own place to live. What was supposed to just be a stop gap, turned into her living with us for nearly a year and half. The whole time she slowly kept taking over a larger and larger space, essentially shoving us out of our own house and filled my shed will all her things which is my work space. The whole thing unfortunately ended ugly as I essentially evicted her and had her car which had sat broken down in my drive way for several long months towed and removed from my property. Past having her removed, I was civil the entire time but she unfortunately threatened lawsuits and everything else even though I was the one dealing with the damage she had done to the room she was in due to being more or less a hoarder and never cleaning. The entire room needed remediating it was so bad.

But thankfully that is all over and the rest of her family has realized we werent in the wrong and have gone back to leaving us alone. Also finally got the last of her things removed from my shed about a month ago, so I was able to finally start working on hammering stuff again.

Long story short, I learned to never EVER let someone live in your house without more or less a lease agreement with very defined terms as without it, it is very hard to get them removed without them leaving on their own if things go south.

Here is what I managed to hammer out the other day. Had just a like 2-1/2" long piece of that 15n20 bar stock laying around, so I tossed it in with no intention of actually trying to make something and just wanted to try and slim it down and stretch it out. When it started to work out, I said screw it and tried another swing at making a knife. I think it still looks totally awful but not too bad considering I didnt set out to even make anything.

I have just about given up on trying to make knives as I either cant get the profile right, mess up the heat treat or everything in between. I might use the last two bars of 15n20 and 1084 messing around and try to see if I can forge weld them together and make a damascus billet.

image.thumb.jpeg.007f292f7f81f8a720b7028b533c6e61.jpeg

After the first blow on a new anvil, about a 100 years later its still "state of the art". From the first moment you turn on your brand new "state of the art" 'puter, its already obsolete.  Still fun to play with, tho.

Welcome back.

"Friends are the family you choose."  Sometimes the in laws are as good or better than your blood relations such as Frosty's and my late wife, Martha's family.  Sometimes they are a hot mess and your spouse somehow got off the crazy train.  I hope that your wife was right with you on how to deal with your SIL.  Madelynn has a sister with mental/personality issues in FL and I am REALLY glad we are 1800 miles away and effectively estranged.

Dealing with people who have deep seated problems is very frustrating and heart breaking.  They cannot change the way their brain works any more than they can change the color of their eyes.  And any logical solution to their problems will not work because they are illogical.  Probably we have all had our hands and emotions burnt in situations like this at one time or another.

GNM

About 20 years ago my exwife's BIL needed a place to stay and he came to our house. Kind of one of those things where i came home from work and she asked me after he had all his stuff their. Anywho, long story short that is how i now have an exwife. 

The wife now with the exception of my 2 step daughters has no in laws, they have all passed.

That's a story that really sucks Doc, happily even my long term girlfriends parents were good folks. I have some relatives I wouldn't wish on anybody though, heck my older half sister's picture would go well in the dictionary under Harridan. You couldn't even agree with her without her flying off the handle.

A few others hit on me for money and one wanted to move in temporarily. Saying no didn't work so they both tried shaming me on a pre-Facebook forum. So I told them I wasn't an udder for freeloaders, if working two jobs they and their husbands couldn't make it they needed to stop spending money, One I publicly recommended she lose her doper husband. Yeah, publicly, she thought shaming me in front of relatives was going to earn her anything but embarrassment.

It wasn't long and I got the rep of being helpful but no money. 

Once you've posted their final notice to vacate they only have a "reasonable" length of time to get all their stuff out. Any property left after the "reasonable" time, 30 days is common, anything still there is considered abandoned and is the landlord's to do with as it pleases. Keep it, sell it, give it away, haul it to the dump. Keep dump receipts to add to any counter suit if the squatter sues. 

Deb refuses to let us even get close. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

I ran out of patience with her before the wife did, but I waited to do anything until the wifes patience also ran out and was fully on board with giving the SIL the boot. You would think you would bend over backwards for someone who was letting you live in their home rent free but she very much did not unfortunately.

Thankfully that is all in the past now. Now I just have to worry about getting my 40# tank filled as it ran out over the weekend :(

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

Once you've posted their final notice to vacate they only have a "reasonable" length of time to get all their stuff out. Any property left after the "reasonable" time, 30 days is common, anything still there is considered abandoned and is the landlord's to do with as it pleases.

Laws vary by state and country, as well as by what rights common law tenants/squatters might have. Check with your local jurisdiction, if necessary.

1 hour ago, SinDoc said:

getting my 40# tank filled as it ran out over the weekend

This is one advantage to having multiple tanks!

Sindoc, yes, you would think a guest would be courteous and considerate of the host but that assumes sthe guest is a rational, logical, and generally normal person.  People who are narcisstic or have borderline personality disorder think the world revoves around them and that the normal, natural order of things is that people should cater to their every need and whim.  My SIL in FL is like that.  And they usually derive ittle or no pleasure from helping someone else out or being considerate of someone else.

As John says, fules about personal property vary from state to state in a situation like this.  And telling a guest to leave is different that evicting a renter with whom you have a contract which they have breached.  The guest is there at your "sufferance" and has many fewer, if any, rights or protections under the law than a renter or lessor.  That is why, if you are letting someone stay with you, you should not accept even a few bucks from them because it converts them from a guest to a tenant.  It is OK to accept some contributions for food or utilities but the understanding has to be there on both sides that is what it is for.  Anything accompanied by, "Here is something for letting me stay here" will be seen as rent by a court even if it is voluntary.

And some states have laws that are VERY protective of renters' rights and it is a serious hassle to evict someone.  And in some places a tenant cannot contract away their rights under the law.

Basically, if anyone is thinking about letting someone stay with you for more than a few night visit, particularly if it is openended, "Just till they get on their feet" consider all the ramifications.  This may involve tslking to an attorney.  These situations can get VERY bad very quickly, particularly with some one who has mental or chemical problems.

George

(the local tame attorney)

JHCC, I have two grill size tanks as well but they were also dry :(

This next refill trip is going to be pricey lol.

George, the problem we ran into was "squatters rights". Since she had lived there for several months and was receiving mail there, she was for all intents and purposes considered a legal resident and since I didn't have a written agreement with her, I could really only strongly ask her to leave as I couldn't technically evict her. Squatters rights are a royal pain. Thankfully she realized that I would go down that route if she didnt go peacefully and left, but left her junked car which I promptly had removed which further kicked the hornets nest on that side of the family. Personally, I dont care and am glad its all over and am back to being left alone like always wanted lol.

I just gave a cursory look and Ohio law says "squatters rights" are actually "Adverse Possession"  and to claim property by adverse possession is a long process and has quite a list of conditions. So, a "guest" can not claim "squatters rights" it's a non-starter in an eviction case. Unless of course they're living in a vacant house or a building on the back 40. Unfortunately evicting a tenant even if they don't pay rent is a major PITA if contested. 

Glad I've never found myself in the situation, never will. 

Frosty The Lucky.

This was most certainly a learning experience. If anyone was to ever live with us in our house again, there would be a written contract with laid out terms and conditions they would have to adhere to, essentially a lease agreement so when/if it goes south, the process of removal is much smoother.

In other news, got my 40# filled yesterday (man propane got expensive) and my machinist friend sent me new bearings for my contact wheel so it doesnt fly off again so I can use my other grinder! No need to buy another one at the moment. Next step is to upgrade it with a beefier motor (currently has a 1/2 hp motor).