Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/25/2022 at 11:18 AM, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

if I ever take a trip up to your territory I’ll make sure to load up some spares for ya!

bring 2 or three vices to drop off on the way to frosty i cant seem to find anything other than bench-vices

Doesn't need to be top notch new material, just something I don't hear all the time. Even good tourist questions are worth answering, sometimes seriously even. There are some on the other hand that just leave you staring while you try to find a suitable answer that doesn't point out how idiotic the question was.

Like the tourist who was really pestering the Purser while he was directing the loading of vehicles on the State Ferry demanding to know what the elevation was.

Frosty The Lucky.

That was years before cell phones. Tourists ask the darndest questions. I've been asked when the caribou turn to moose, or we missed the king salmon run, when do the queen salmon run? 

On the upside, nobody's asked me what living in an igloo is like or one of the other igloo questions since the internet went public. And, No, the sun doesn't come up in spring and set in fall. Sorry, you can't see the northern lights in summer it doesn't get dark. My Mother asked that one while visiting in the summer. 

Mother almost never made that kind of mistake but when she did it was a doozy. One Christmas I bought them a pendulum chiming wall clock. Mother asked me why it stopped chiming, I checked and it was set to silent so I re-set it to one of the half dozen tunes. The next day it wasn't chiming again, I was thinking it maybe needed to visit a clock maker but NOPE it was set to silent again. 

Then again that evening at dinner it doesn't chime for 6:pm so I check again, silent. "I don't know what's wrong Mother, I'll run it to a clock maker and have it checked out, it keeps resetting itself to silent."

AND my WAY smarter than anybody in the family Mother (seriously she was really smart) says, "But I want to hear silent." As soon as it came out of her mouth she realized what she said and she blushed. I'd NEVER seen her blush. Too late though, the entire darn family was present at dinner and everybody was staring at her our mouths hanging open in shock. 

Talk about a Kodak moment. Nobody's immune to saying something . . . silly. 

Jer

Not a Kodiak moment?

Speaking of clocks, we had a neighbor in Philadelphia who loved clocks and had one in every room of the house (these were early 19th century rowhouses with shared walls). Being detail-oriented and a bit crazy, he had very carefully set them so that every day at noon and midnight, they would chime one after the other, starting on the top floor and working their way down, with each clock beginning its chime as the twelfth hour stroke of the previous faded out. It was...interesting.

(He was, I must say, a truly great human being, and very tolerant of my early blacksmithing in the back yard.)

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

Doesn't need to be top notch new material, just something I don't hear all the time. Even good tourist questions are worth answering, sometimes seriously even. There are some on the other hand that just leave you staring while you try to find a suitable answer that doesn't point out how idiotic the question was.

My joking around usually gets me into trouble on the wild side and now it seems lamness has gotten me.  I can respect your feelings on the matter.  I shouldn't have posted those last couple of comments either, but I did.  For that I appologize.