• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Change the recipe a little: pine tar, turpentine and sulfuric acid and you have an outstanding wound treatment. 

Applied to hot iron and the excess wiped off makes a nice finish and more durable than using wax instead of pine tar / pitch.

Another prove use is preserving bugs and tiny bird parts.

It's good stuff.

Frosty The Lucky.

Did you preserve anyone special? The tar pits are scary to think about. ONE false step and you're stuck, the more you try to get out the stucker you are. THEN the predators join you for an easy meal. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

Yes it certainly could, you'd be amazed how much an: axe, pick, sledge, etc. handle flexes in use. 

An axe handle that breaks because of missed blows will be chewed up near the head, even if it was just one big HONKIN swing and miss. The far side will be splintered at least a little.

Nope, I vote bad grain. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't know exactly how the break happened, but the underlying problem is clearly grain runout. The grain is somewhat straighter towards the butt end, so I'll probably reuse that for a new handle on my flatter (once I re-drift the eye, anyway; it's a bit on the small side).

I've got some lovely straight-grained hickory that was part of a trade with TheWanderingLlama for my old Frankenvise; I'll probably use that for a new handle for the axe.

Yesterday I picked up an old horizontal bandsaw which I bought on facebook marketplace. It is a W.F. Wells model A-7 bandsaw that was made in 1970 according to the serial number. I paid 50$ for it which is a great deal! The man was also kind enough to throw in a little lincoln welder and a couple of stands.

saw.jpg

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I will not share your post with her

That's OK the wheel was beyond any repair and missing so many parts it couldn't be restored. If y'all stop by the house she can play with our working walking wheel that Debi spins on.:) or any other of the spinning wheels, like one of the last Ericson wheels made.

Someone on TouTube did a slow motion of an axe being used. I was shocked at how much the shaft flexes. Evidently it is really important to those using axes a lot. I thought I was finicky about shaft length, flex, and grip size and texture on my golf clubs, but my pickiness and tweaking is nothing compared to those using an axe all day. 

This is why rigid handles (be they pipe or solid rod) are so hard on the user: all the force that would otherwise be dissipated by that flexing goes straight back into the hands, wrists, and arms of the user.