I Forge Iron

It followed me home

SWEET MITHRAL! Nice wrench and good find on those tanks!

*grin* I started askin' around at work, turned out they didn't know how to get rid of them.

I could have told them that the local scrap yard would have gladly paid money for them, being steel and all. But I've been wanting a new grill.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got home with a 1964 Hyster 4000# forklift. Gravel parking lot traction tires. Drove it 12 miles down the highway to the house, ran like a top. I've been moving big stuff with prybars and pipes for way too long, my chiropractor is going to have to find someone else to make payments on his boat..

I was going to add a picture, but the manage attachments button doesn't seem to be working. Try to imagine an old yellow forklift sitting in front of a shop, it looks a lot like that.

Mike-hr,
I got the visual: "an old yellow forklift sitting in front of a shop".
Although Mike, I see it sitting outside of My Shop instead. As long as we are visualizing, I may as well see pin stripes and my name printed on the side also.
Sorry Sam! He he he
Good for you Mike!
Be safe!
Old Rusty Ted.

I did a 10 day demo from Oct 12 to the 21. One day a spectator asked if I was interested in buying "one of those things". Later that night I drove home with a 308# anvil, A blower in real good shape, A forge of unknown origen and a bucket of tools.
The anvil has a fairly annoying ring to it :) and has had cold steel hammered on the far side and needs the resulting mushroomed edge either ground off or reforged. The near side edge is still fairly sharp. I can't find any identifying marks except the 308lb letters in the picture. It has an 1 1/2" Hardy hole and a 3/4" pritchel hole.
The Blower says Tiger on it at the base but thats about it.
The forge has no ID marks. It has a repaired crack on one side and is mounted in concrete. The ash dumps original hinge bolt is broken and someone has drilled the center of it and put a piece of plate at the top with a piece of althread from top of grate to ash dump. I haven't cut the bolt yet to see how the grate looks.
If anyone can identify the maker of the anvil or the forge please let me know.
And yes I feel lucky:D

3907.attach

3908.attach

3909.attach

3910.attach

3911.attach

3912.attach

3913.attach

3914.attach

3915.attach

Well a lady was cleaning out her late husbands junk in the garage and had a box of misc hunting knives. I picked up two with stacked leather handles, a PAL and a Marbles; also picked up a hobo knife to keep in the glovebox, (Solig-M, Japan are the only markings I have seen). US$3 apiece...I estimate that they were from the 1960's.

Thomas,
Here are some pictures of the bottom of the anvil. As I was rolling it around and trying not to let it slip off the base onto my toes I thought to myself "Thomas just wants to see if I'm dumb enough to turn it upside down and drop the blasted thing on my toes." Hope this helps and try not to chuckle to much at the thought of me trying to reach a hammer to prop it up with while trying to balance it with the other hand. Felt like I should have been on the ED Sullivan show. LOL;)

3916.attach

3917.attach

3918.attach

This rolled into my truck at the ABA Fall conference earlier this month.

Weight: 110 lbs
Size: 9 1/2 inches diameter

3 1/2 inch bench vise for size comparison.

Cost: Nada, Zip, Zilch (traded an old axe head for it!)

Cast steel, baseball-size hollow core, should be good for something around the shop!

Pict0142.jpg

From what I have heard the steel ball is used to crush coal into finer pieces to be burned as fuel....as they tell me these balls roll around in a circle track as coal falls down on them. When the balls get under size from all the wear and tear they are discarded........not sure if this is a true thing but it is cool to think about! Ha!

Lucky find Key! well done.

Peyton