• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I picked up a couple of US$1 ballpeens (one's a plumb), An old fine sharpening stone with very little use $1 and turned down a branding iron where they had split the sq shaft in 4 at the end and forge welded each piece to the thicker back of the brand part and in fairly small stock! Looked like a saddlebag brand to me, something carried in case you needed it outside of the big round ups. Very neat but I'm trying not to overfill my life with neat stuff.

After looking for 2 or 3 years all over for an ironworker, found this Uni-Hydro 50-14 about 2 miles from my house!
Hadn't been used for several years and was covered (see photo) in grease. $2200 w/ some dies and a custom
notching tool that fits in place of the punch (which I will never use). I cleaned it up some.

It needs some work as some parts are pretty
worn but works pretty well. I've already paid for it on my current staircase project cutting balusters and flat bar
to length. Amazing machine, and the Uni-Hydro folks are great to talk to on the phone, very helpful.

post-232-0-45363400-1342094506_thumb.jpg

Ironworkers are a boom to nay shop..i used one almost every day for several years..Man, its rediculous how much time they save..I cant overstate how much, espically if your doing a lot of welding/fabricating..Being able to nibble off bits of steel here and there, shearing,punching etc..
The one I used so much was a piranha 50 or 60 ton I believe..

Yes, I really lucked out on these tools. I have been watching for a cone mandrel for a and larger swage block for years but I have never seen them come up for sale around where I live.

I was perusing Craigslist for a different city when the vise and swage block popped up in an ad. The ad stated he was firm on price and both tools must be purchased as a lot. I had bought a bunch of top tools from the same guy about 3 years earlier and knew he had a come mandrel. I called him up and he remembered me because we had some good chats the last time we dealt with each other. I asked if he still had the cone mandrel and he told me if I took the tools he would throw the cone mandrel in with the deal for no extra cost. I committed to buy them with the only detail remaining being shipping almost 1000 pounds of tools about 1000 miles.

My dad called me a couple of weeks ago and told me he has a customer who works for a moving company who was making a trip out to the same city and coming back with an empty truck. He bought the tools back for me and it cost me about 10% of what it would have ordinarily cost.

Isn't it wonderful when a plan comes together..

There was an old welding shop back home, and Roy had a cone mandrel in there that was at least 4' tall. He ended up getting scammed on the building by another welder who rented the place from him, and after he passed away alot of thoes items were gone when the relatives came to sell off the estate. That was a sad situation in many ways. There was a massive pile of transmissions probably from the 30's to the 60's. They had some obvious tweekers haul them to scrap to clean up the yard. Iron wasn't bringing much at the time either. Some of the trannys could have been sold, others could have made wonderful scrap sculptures.

I have a bucket full of 12L14, and some 1018 bar ends that I am getting from work. Sizes run from .375"-.625"diameter. I also started a bin of bronze bar ends .1875"-.375" commercial, and phosphor alloys that we are currently running.

I was asked to make an offer on the 185# of carbide scrap (form drills,saw blades,and some inserts), some A-286 stainless, and some of the scrap parts made from the A-286 (spherical rod ends, and sleeves). I have a lot of interest in scrap parts from steampunk jeweler friends.

Went to the flea market 3 times (2 places) last week: got a set of old wood carving chisels, (octagonal beech handles, mainly veiners, forged!) couldn't talk the dealer down so I paid US$1 a piece for ten of them---all she had that were usable. Picked up a large ballpeen hammer head for $1 and a couple of auger bits one long thin one well pitted for 50 cents and the other about 1.5" dia in good shape for a dollar.

Then the other fleamarket I picked up another revereware pot for $3 to change out the handle for a hand forged basket one---going to make a couple of potracks with these pots and try to sell them at the State Fair this year.

Also bought a small "pirates chest" in wood with hammered fittings. Pretty well done, probably from someplace like Pier 1, now I'm debating on if I should sheath it in iron or just duplicate the wood work and sheathe the new one... like an old Nuremberg chest...

Also found a heavy set of tongs---I first wondered if they were brazing tongs but I saw that they were set up for 3/8" round or strap. nice execution even if way too heavy for typical use---dealer only wanted $70 for them...I nearly dropped my stuff laughing...

4 pieces 48 inch x 33 inch x #11 (1/8 inch) galvanized sheet metal.

One piece is getting pickled for a forge table for the fire pot my brother made for me. I don't know what I am doing with the other 3, but they can stand against the wall inside the garage very easily, safe and secure, until I find a use.

Phil

Fellow was selling laser cut rounds at the fleamarket about 20" diameter and 1/8 and 3/16" in thickness, he was a laser cutter and these were drops. I bought 2 of each---anybody want to make a large cowboy hat? (I plan to make some more cauldrons for LH use as cast iron is after the times involved.) I picked up an 8" wilton C clamp for $5 and a set of parallel jaw pliers for $1 too.