Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got this incomplete belt grinder.

It has a 2hp motor, drive wheel and domed tracking wheel and two heavy cast iron arms.

Needs a stand, a tracking mechanism, contact wheel and a cable.

I wouldn't have time for it, any South Africans in GP who would like to take it over, contact me.

post-5093-0-58793400-1339875132_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
post-74-0-26946500-1340830998_thumb.jpgWent in a 2nd hand store where the owner had a box full of miscellaneous iron. When I picked this up, he said, "If you can identify that, it's yours." I said, "It's an ox yoke hitch." He was true to his word. I use this kind of thing for "show and tell."

I found out later that the tek name was a staple.

after having this problem, I went out and bought this............it must have been a lucky day, buying a near new horizontal bandsaw for only 100 bucks on craigslist...................I had to drive to delaware to get it........http://www.iforgeiro...900#entry282900

You should put the lower shelf on the base for this, I have one with and it makes it quite sturdy. It probably already has holes to bolt it to. The ones that came with one it is just a light sheet metal pan but a friend got one like yours and he did 1/2" sq tube frame and expanded metal after I told him he needed it. Good saw.
By removing the back vice jaw you can cut 8" material. You might want to check the oil in the gearbox as well, mine had just a light smear of grease when I got it, now has gear oil in it.

Aaaaagh!!! I wished I lived in America. You guys have such a rich history of blacksmiths with so many treasures still available. Here we have 20 million unemployed and everything goes to the scrapyard and they don't always appreciate the value of an item. I don't know how many times I know of blacksmith tools being melted down. I saw a old milling machine in good nick cut up into pieces the other day.

2tim215, you need to get those 20,000,000 unemployed using those tools instead of scrapping them. It happens here too, I saw a 15 ton Simplex jack getting dropped from a crane into a bin at a scrap yard recently. Years ago when scrap teel was a penny a pound a friend hauled 800,000# of machinery to the scrapper, due to lack of interest. The one horizontal boring mill alone weighed 30,000#.

Talked to a guy here in Las Vegas ,Brock Racing, who has a Shelby Daytona replica that is made in South Africa. The maker didn't want to pay the 100% import tax, so he started making his own. Beautiful car.

Ever thought of bribing the staff at the scrapyard to keep an eye open for stuff you might be able to use? I used to forge trinkets for the secretary and provide the odd cold sixpack of beer after quitting time to the crew. *VERY* cost effective even when *buying* their finds at the yard rate.

Bribed, begged, made knives - just not much left here anymore. Every now and then a anvil comes my way and I hide it away. But I have been lucky, maybe because I look and I have a swage block, anvil and post vice. Over the last two years I have found 6 anvils, 5 post vices, a few wrought iron tongs and 1 swage block. It's the power hammers we don't find and hardy tools.

As a matter of fact one of the scrapyard guys called me the other day because someone had brought in a WWII Japanese sword and he wanted to know what it might be worth.

I glanced at it and it was in poor condition (rusty),but I did determine it was probably a mass produced sword from WWII. If anyone is interested I'll get more info on it and maybe some pics.

The scrap guys are always getting interesting items,but I can't keep constantly in contact with them or I'd go broke and never get things done...

On my visit to the scrapyard this morning I was called to the office. They have kept for me a nice 33kg (70 #) anvil.

And when I didn't have enough money on me they said I can just take it and come and pay later.

The payment is going to accompanied by something forged.

post-74-0-70147000-1341617494_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-59678700-1341617515_thumb.jpg

A friend used to walk the old railroad tracks near "Judge Roy Bean" country in southwest Texas, and he ran across this forged cable clamp. It's another show-and-tell, and a real yin/yang.

I have seen those before. They work really well.

Phil