• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

80 lb fisher anvil
5 inch post leg vise
18 wheeler brake drum forge with heavy duty metal stand
5 hammers
7 sets of usable tongs
50-75 pounds of leaf springs, hammer heads, round rod...
$140

You published this on a public forum!?!??! If the cops see this you could be arrested and possibly serve hard time! :P

Good score and good for you. Evidently the seller was happy too....maybe not as happy as you are but still happy.

Was talking with my farrier today, while he trimmed the horses hooves, and asked him how long a rasp lasted him. He said he goes through one or two a week. I asked if I might have a few, and he said he'd bring a box full the next time he was by to trim the horse. He gave me two this afternoon. It's not big, but' it's a score!

3 Baldor 2 horsepower single phase 120/240 volt 1725 rpm farm duty electric motors for $100.

They were out of a carwash that upgraded pumps and required larger motors. I know the guy that did the changeout and he told me the motors are in good shape.

That's a nice score! 2 horsepower motors in 120v aren't easy to find on the used market. And Baldor is a good name in motors. I've been looking for a while for a 2hp 3450 rpm motor to upgrade an old table saw. A couple of tub skids full of old motors have passed thru the junkyard in last couple months, but no 2hp 120v motors.

I've been trying to get a Little Giant to follow me home for a while now. Finally this 50# found its way to my shop along with a new swage block and a big post vice. post-6385-0-67631700-1317169574_thumb.jp post-6385-0-17223400-1317169613_thumb.jpThe cement encased anvil has been laying out in the field for a few years now but has finally made it into the shop. Now to drill some holes before cold weather hits and freeze the cement off. It appears to be @300 pounds but has a real soft top and no markings. post-6385-0-80628300-1317169674_thumb.jpA good day...

That's a nice score! 2 horsepower motors in 120v aren't easy to find on the used market. And Baldor is a good name in motors. I've been looking for a while for a 2hp 3450 rpm motor to upgrade an old table saw. A couple of tub skids full of old motors have passed thru the junkyard in last couple months, but no 2hp 120v motors.

Thanks Tom. My plan is to eventually get a 'Grinder in a Box' that Monstermetal speaks highly of, and I figure one of these motors will work nicely.

Quad-State haul: 12 Farrier's rasps at 6 for $5, 10' Kaowool at $8/foot, sack of Ap Green Greencast, plistic, etc. Top Swages, hammer handles and wedges, some Ti plate, swing arm fuller with a 1.5" hardy stem for my big anvils. H-13 for tooling, cutting disks, sewall seam coal, 1095 in several thicknesses, some reeded shafts for forging. (I'll have to dig out my record book to see what else---got in this morning and am running on too little sleep today)

Sold 23 ballpeens that helped fuel this haul too

Stopped into an antique shop on Tuesday and bought an old Needle Case stake for $50, a very old one in excellent shape, most likely pre-Civil War fro $45. The only problem is that it's a mite small for my stake holder so I'm making some shims for that.

Dang! that is a lump of concrete on that anvil. Surly you know someone with a jackhammer! :blink:

I've been trying to get a Little Giant to follow me home for a while now. Finally this 50# found its way to my shop along with a new swage block and a big post vice. post-6385-0-67631700-1317169574_thumb.jp post-6385-0-17223400-1317169613_thumb.jpThe cement encased anvil has been laying out in the field for a few years now but has finally made it into the shop. Now to drill some holes before cold weather hits and freeze the cement off. It appears to be @300 pounds but has a real soft top and no markings. post-6385-0-80628300-1317169674_thumb.jpA good day...

I bet one of those giant breaker hammer drills that the rental places get $60 per day for would take that concrete off quite quickly. A few vertical holes, then use a spade and open a crack and repeat as necessary. Took me an hour to make a hole for my sump pump through a concrete pad, so I am sure it will get the job done in short order.

Phil

a few month ago found a lot of tongs on CL. Emailed them and they sent me pics of what was around 40 pairs. Talked them down to $350 and drove down. I get there and what I got was 65 pairs of tongs total-some of them very big for power hammer work. Also a few top tools. As I was loading I saw two swage blocks painted in dust. I ask if they were willing to sell them-they said sure and ask what I was willing to give. I said I'd give $50 a piece. they are a good 150lbs each and have dishes as well as holes.

Then I scored a free almost new Delta Rockwell surface grinder. This is a fun tool.

Quad State-
-a treadle hammer for $400. he threw in a shovel swage too. this is a very beefy treadle hammer.
-an old Sweeny and Blockside flypress (#5 or 6) in beautiful shape
-a 150 pound Colonial anvil with fifth foot-no pritchel or hardy hole
-a 431 pound South German style anvil with two horns and upsetting block
-lots of hand hammers and a few tongs
-7 sets of spring fullers for a treadle hammer all for $35 total
-a very strange anvil. it's a goofy little doorstop that actually has a tremendous rebound. I will have to snap some pics and see if anyone knows more.

Quad state was a blast this year. Sold everything I went down with and came back up with 1,800 lbs of tools.

Aaron

You have a fork lift so why not just drop the concrete side on a stiff hard lump, say a piece of RR rail. You have a powertool right there in the pic, it'd sure be a shame not to use it. For final cleanup CLR is perfect, it'll remove the concrete quickly and convert the rust back to steel/iron.

Frosty the Lucky.

I picked up this lathe it needs a lot of work to get it running again it is a 1890 F.E. Reed lathe. post-3564-0-21762100-1317495446_thumb.jp
also picked up a champion hand crank drill it needs some work but all the parts are there.

That is an old timey beauty Francis. I can't see the hidden work it may need but I don't see a feed screw so it'll be a LOT easier than a gearhead with all the cluster gears for the screw feeds.

Frosty the Lucky.

The cement encased anvil has been laying out in the field for a few years now but has finally made it into the shop. Now to drill some holes before cold weather hits and freeze the cement off.

No need to go to all that trouble. A couple whacks with a 16 lb sledge will blow that concrete right off.

No need to go to all that trouble. A couple whacks with a 16 lb sledge will blow that concrete right off.

Tried that method. Apparently they used some good hard concrete...

Concrete removal (the fun way), get a 1/2 cement bit, drill into the concrete a ways, shove favorite firecracker into hole, light with wick ,run. It may take several tries to move a little, but its the fun way

It may take something a little bigger than the average Black Cat firecracker but it does sound fun :)

You have a fork lift so why not just drop the concrete side on a stiff hard lump, say a piece of RR rail. You have a powertool right there in the pic, it'd sure be a shame not to use it. For final cleanup CLR is perfect, it'll remove the concrete quickly and convert the rust back to steel/iron.

Frosty the Lucky.

Frosty - I tried something similar with little success. There's plenty of other anvils around the shop to use so there is no hurry to get this one unshrouded. I think freezing it off may be kind of a fun way to do it. But then again there is that explosives suggestion...

Sose ya takes the next highschool smith wannabee and hand him the hammer and tell him his first class is *after* he frees up that anvil...or borrow a jackhammer from a local contractor...

It ain't my anvil but I like the first option of ThomasP., but I would add; get a young high school football player :)

Frosty ya it dose need the feed screws I have a plan and a few friends that are machinist So I will have them make what I am missing. I have the original pattern and a catalog that shows all the parts. just need the time to work on it .

I was talking about a power feed screw. The manual screws are a lot easier to come by, heck you might be able to find what you need commercially. They'll need to know the turns per inch / pitch but they should be common enough in powered devices. For instance a trash masher has a wonderful feed screw and box, smooth and strong.

Frosty the Lucky.

Explosives are always fun. How about a little carefully applied thermite? You'd have to use SMALL charges as the spalling concrete would tend to throw burning thermite a ways which may have undesired effects. Concrete doesn't like heat so a charcoal fire under the thing should erode the concrete with little physical effort beyond throwing more charcoal in the fire.

Frosty the Lucky.

i dont know if it followed me home persay but it showed up at my place
almost a month ago i met a nice guy at a local hammer in who was in need of a anvil and worked in a shop that did a good bit of machining i happened to have three ft of 120lb RR track that i said he could have and if he could give me a 1/4 of it back after he milled it flat on top that would be a nice thing to have in the shop
low and behold i missed this months hammer in bc of work and who append to show up but this same upstanding swinger of hammers apologizing for not being able to mill the rr track and said he had got one of the guys where he worked to cut some drops of stainless steel and i he brought me one

it turned out to be a 100lb rectangle of 4018 ss (i think thats what he said i was distracted looking at my face in its reflection)post-22808-0-13849900-1318118637_thumb.j
so long storry short any ideas as to a good use for a 5x5 by 14 inch slug of stainless i think it is a 32 hardness on the rockwell scail

but how ever you look at it its just dam pritty it is milled smooth on 3 sides and one end

this was a day where i was covered in dust grime and god knows what ells and this just made it dam near perfect