• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I remember from my childhood the King James Version of the Bible states it something like this "I knew you when I wrought you in your mothers womb", a later version has it a "knit" but whichever it is that a fine looking child. Congratulations on the new and future striker! :P

Stan, nice score on the stove. I'd be too busy cookin and eatin to forge anything.

Frosty, Mayo? Really? Ok, I'll try it.

Yeah, mayo makes for a much better brown on grilled sandwiches. It should be thin but complete coverage, it's hard to put too much on but you can if you try.

Frosty the Lucky.

My future slave/apprentice arrived home yesterday...

Congratulations Matt! That's one good looking babe, I'll bet you're glad s/he takes after mum eh?

I am as happy for you as can be.

Frosty the Lucky.

Thanks guys :) His name Is Isaac & yes, we're pretty pleased with ourselves! ;) Utterly knackered but mostly loving every minute. Of course, it's early days yet!

Properly on topic, I've had a small amount of very rusty possibly wrought follow me home recently, as well as a small air tank for a gas forge body,.

Congratulations Matt, we had four of those follow us home, now aged 17,20,21,24 with one soon to be married, you'll have all of that to experience, enjoy it while you can they grow up very quickly. I picked up an old spike harrow for free recently, which, apart from some repair work, is mostly wrought. Cant wait to make something from it!

Cheers Ian

Matt , althou i've already said con grat's mate here it is again ( still waitin' on my cigar too mate :) )

Ian , word has it Isaac will be our youngest " smith " at Get HAMMERED this yr ................... ;)

Dale Russell

P.S .. scored about 70 train axles , all 100 + yrs old , told they are wrought iron , gonna cut em up & pound em inta bar stock if any 1 is interested in any

Dale, Shazz says NOT ON YOUR LIFE!

Ian, thanks mate. :)

The bits of possible wrought are from a local park. This spot used to be the farm blacksmith shop about 100-130 years ago. Actually from the bits I've found I suspect this exact spot was the scrap pile! Lots of small pieces & some horse shoes, all useful for small projects. Even if it turns out to be mild, it'll still be useful for the textures, with careful planning.
It's all buried & shows up on the surface bit by bit. As it's a public park nowadays I don't dig it up or anything, just pick up the odd piece when walking the dog.

I got a call from Pastor Rich the other day, he had this wagon wheel that had rotted away over the years and was left with nothing but a metal ring. Would I like to have it? oh ya this thing is a good chunk of iron, 37 inches across 4 inches wide and 5/8 inch thick. You can see the forge weld in the 3rd picture
post-10376-0-00072700-1307072384_thumb.jpost-10376-0-00966600-1307072390_thumb.jpost-10376-0-72936800-1307072396_thumb.jpost-10376-0-52093000-1307072403_thumb.jpost-10376-0-41366500-1307072409_thumb.j

In the last month, I bought a 90lb anvil with the stump for $50. I got 2 post vises, 1 needs a leaf spring the second I just got - $50 for the one with missing spring $40 for the complete one, both 4 inch vises.
I bought a forge pot for $50, man is it heavy. I bought a 180lb Mousehole anvil for $250.

I had to do a lot of legwork to get all these, but I am excited :)

In the last month, I bought a 90lb anvil with the stump for $50. I got 2 post vises, 1 needs a leaf spring the second I just got - $50 for the one with missing spring $40 for the complete one, both 4 inch vises.
I bought a forge pot for $50, man is it heavy. I bought a 180lb Mousehole anvil for $250.

I had to do a lot of legwork to get all these, but I am excited :)

Great! Excellent deals on all of it. Sounds like you have a nice little nest of toys er, I mean TOOLS goin! How's your wife's back doing?

Great! Excellent deals on all of it. Sounds like you have a nice little nest of toys er, I mean TOOLS goin! How's your wife's back doing?

She has been to a neurologist and they are setting her an appointment to see a neurosurgeon. Seems to have something to do with some kind of disc problem. I guess we will know more when she gets back from there, but I think it is going to be a long drawn out process. She is still in pretty bad shape, but she is trying to get back to normal and is trying to do stuff around the house that doesn't hurt her too much.

Its rough. I had to do the laundry the other day. I didn't know you separated the colors from the whites! No wonder all my clothes turned out grey when I was single :)

Thanks for asking. We are still wanting to come down for a day, just gotta figure out her back problem first.

Larry

Sounds like several of you picked up on excellent deals. Good on ya!

There's a term I heard on another forum I prefer for our kinds of stuff, "Toils" or Toylz.

Nice toils you got there!

Frosty the Lucky

What you didn't name him Tubal Cain? (My wife informed me I'd not be having another *ever* with *anyone* if I named our kids Tubal Cain---especially as they were daughters...) Better start rounding up tools for him *now*. I keep trying to give my grandson a 2 oz ballpeen (stanley made them here in the USA) but my Daughter has informed me that that's a "grandpa's house toy".

As I recall Railroads were fairly fast to switch to bessemer steel. I'd like to hear if those axles really are wrought iron.

I was skunked out at the fleamarket today; I did see a worn out nicholson farrier's rasp---quite old and thick but the dealer wanted $15 dollars for it and as I had bought 20 used farrier's rasps at 50 cents a piece at Quad-State I didn't feel that it was worth 30 times as much.

Actually I was going to let him use his aunt's anvil---presented as a 0th birthday present by friends; it's a little mild steel machine shop-class project.

Fleamarket report Foredom dental grinder $15, half a pound of "Nobilium" in tiny ingots 50 cents, Gas bottle cap to make into wind bell $1

Don't have a use for the Nobilium it's a Cr, Co, Mo and Ga alloy used in dental work. Just couldn't turn it down.

I've been trying to buy a Fly Press through online auctions for about a year now,but never really had enough money to bid successfully,but I kept trying regardless. Well my patience finally paid off, for total price of $61 plus an hours drive to pick it up.It has an 1 3/4 " screw stands about 80cm tall and weighs ?, well my son and I think it weighs more than my 450 pound Peter Wright.It came with a fabricated stand which I'm going to use as a stand for my bench grinder since the press now sits where the bench grinder was. I painted the handle and counterweight and check nut and cleaned the rest up, now to make a clamping plate and tooling.

post-5570-0-64712500-1307787502_thumb.jp

post-5570-0-84791400-1307787520_thumb.jp

post-5570-0-61845700-1307787540_thumb.jp