• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you ever bring tools into a group smithing setting you need to be able to sort them at the end of the day *FAST* and under poor conditions---say a thunder storm.

As many of us have a lot of the same new stuff it makes it a lot nicer to be able to say "all the light blue marked stuff is mine throw it in the back of that truck" than to argue over who's H13 slitting Chisel is whose.

If you sell on something it's pretty easy to re-paint.

Hmm I'm taking a bucket of tools to the State Fair Saturday; I'd better check that the paint is still on the stuff I use the most frequently!

I know one smith (Howdy!) that paints his tools hot pink as nobody else uses that colour---and he says NOBODY borrows them either! Red is a rather common colour for smiths and I know of one friend who used darker blue on his tools and we used to josh each other that the other's tools were the wrong shade of blue...

lead make a good counter weight, so if you have a smithed little something that needs balanced lead does a good job. I have several chucks "o" soft grey stuff and a ladle I got with my last good haul. I;m just waiting to find the right use for it before my kids start trying to chew on it. well my 3 year old any way.

Nice lead pot. Does the gasoline burner work?

Frosty the Lucky.

Haven't gotten anywhere near that far with it yet. Cleaning some easier
stuff up first, to try to unload at the next 'heritage holiday'. Telephone
insulators, bottle openers etc.

About 3 weeks ago, at Stan's hammer-in, I went into the Thresherman Show and made a trip down thru the flea market. Those boys were REAL proud of the tools that they had for sale. There was a cast cone anvil with a 12" base and about 4 Ft tall. He had $800 on it and it sold. This past weekend I went to a demo and camp. I met a guy that has a cone anvil just like the other one and sold it to me for $150. He also had a Swage Block that is about 16"X16"X4". He said if I want it, he'd sell it for $150, also. He lives about 80 miles from me. So I'm going to go down there and pick them up in a couple of weeks. :D

About 3 weeks ago, at Stan's hammer-in, I went into the Thresherman Show and made a trip down thru the flea market. Those boys were REAL proud of the tools that they had for sale. There was a cast cone anvil with a 12" base and about 4 Ft tall. He had $800 on it and it sold. This past weekend I went to a demo and camp. I met a guy that has a cone anvil just like the other one and sold it to me for $150. He also had a Swage Block that is about 16"X16"X4". He said if I want it, he'd sell it for $150, also. He lives about 80 miles from me. So I'm going to go down there and pick them up in a couple of weeks. :D
Some guys have all the luck!Great score George! B)

My Lady is a RMA in a cardiovascular office and let me know on Friday they had an old treadmill they wanted removed, knowing I love ANYTHING free I she said Ill come take it off their hands. Today I opened her up to see what I could salvage, I'm very happy with what I had waiting for me.

post-7113-085196200 1284223103_thumb.jpgpost-7113-042489100 1284223111_thumb.jpgpost-7113-045676600 1284223119_thumb.jpgpost-7113-055382200 1284223127_thumb.jpgpost-7113-027836100 1284223134_thumb.jpgpost-7113-018324700 1284223142_thumb.jpgpost-7113-055271200 1284223150_thumb.jpg

I love Baldor grinders, they get a TON of abuse at the shoeing school and don't seem to mind one bit! This is a much larger motor but I think I can have lots of fun with it, also have the elevator motor but not sure what to do with that yet. Posting the motor pic/info in the power hammer section for further Q&A that Im sure to have~

Couple weekends ago I was at a steam engine show and a gentleman and I started talking. he says he has a post drill for sale. I follow him to his place to go ad check it out. as we're digging through his garage to find it, I see an old honda motorcyle, and I mentioned "nice bike" to him. he says "ya want it? $100 and it's yours".

well of course I could not turn the offer down, so now for only $100 I got myself a 1984 Honda, 650 CC and 4 cyl engine. he gave the (xxxx near brand new) post drill in awesome condition with the bike, as well as large rolling metal tool cabinet from the 40's. it was used for some sort of testing as there is all sorts of cool gauges and dials in it. I'm turning it into my rolling welding cart. The bike will need a bit of work, but overall is in very good condition. fun winter project.

I also picked up a mousehole forge anvil 219# and a nice size swage block (16X16X3) . got the anvil for $250 and the swage for only $150 as is there is a hairline crack running through it. I'm really excited to finally have a swage block.

Aaron

Don`t you just love hospitals.
They throw stuff out(or pay to haul it off)that most people would give a month(or more)pay for.
The only thing better would be if NASA were to give me a free pass and a large truck to go on a shopping spree at one of their facilities.

Hate to stay at a hospital but love to paw thru their "junk".So much stainless and HD electronic do-dads. :D

Picked up my cone anvil and swage block, today. The cone is 4 ft 4 inches tall with a good point and a 10 inch base. it's about an inch thick. The swage wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, but I will use it. It's 4 inches thick by 19 1/2inX13 1/2in. Then he thru in a hand crank grinder, a piece of 1/4in plate, 20"X45". Then he asked if I could use some old wagon tires. He gave me 2 that are 40"diameter and 2 that are 45" diameter. I Think that they are Wrought. But I'm not sure yet. I'll check a chunk of one soon. Life is good. :D

http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/Curly_George/?action=view&current=BlacksmithShop004.jpg
http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/Curly_George/?action=view&current=BlacksmithShop006.jpg
http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/Curly_George/?action=view&current=BlacksmithShop005.jpg
http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/Curly_George/?action=view&current=BlacksmithShop007.jpg

Nice score George! She's a beautiful mandrel cone and a handsome swage block. I don't know what the large rectangular through hole is actually for but I'm sure I could think of something.

The wagon tires aren't likely ging to be good for anything structural but it should make really nice decorative items. Wagon tires were usually pretty low quality wrought, barely a step above muck bar. Still, single wrought will develop a beautiful grain pattern and texture.

Frosty the Lucky.

Thanks for the info on wrought, Frosty. I must confess that my knowledge of wrought is lacking. I couldn't just leave the tires set there and rust away, though. Now I have to come up with some projects to use them for. Any suggestions? :)

Ring for a really big wind chime.