• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeh what Bent said. Plus we aint no spring chickens. AT 15yrs don't think about it. At 30 yrs might think twice.
After 60 yrs its 4WD or a lama for me. Have fun and be safe.
Ken.

WOW! You just made me thankful I'm not quite 60 yet, I'm no fan of lamas. yeah Thomas, be careful, lamas aren't particularly friendly and will kick you right after they blind you with spit.:blink:

Frosty the Lucky.

WOW! You just made me thankful I'm not quite 60 yet, I'm no fan of lamas. yeah Thomas, be careful, lamas aren't particularly friendly and will kick you right after they blind you with spit.:blink:

Frosty the Lucky.

See what happens when you let your lamas hang out with camels!
At least lamas don`t have as much spit as camels.
What are those things eating when we`re not looking?The plants don`t smell near as bad as camel/lama spit.

Only thing I have seen so far were several feral burros. I'm watching it don't want to have to get a lama or a llama! (and none of you mentioned diabetes as a down check) I just took a fast trip to the high site and am sticking around at the 9000' level which is intent on showing me that I am *old* *overweight* and *out of shape* quite well thank you!

I had a complete high altitude physical before coming out and couldn't go up without an on-site check and then sign away *everything* on a wavier that took several pages.

I'll be home in 10 days---with layovers it'll take about 30 hours from arriving at the first airport to leaving the last one; ugh!

So I've been keeping an eye out for blacksmith related equipment, here's what I've collected in the past month:

The post vice is 5", pretty decent shape. Post drill has one broken gear, might use it for parts. The blower is very nice, the firepot and forge table are close to junk, unfortunately. All free from my local classified website.

The jackhammer bits were all free from Home Depot, I stopped by my local store and asked them after reading other posts here..

The hammer is 32oz and basically brand new, the file is in pretty good shape just a bit rusty. Paid $7 for the pair.

It's been a good month!

post-2067-061516500 1275804400_thumb.jpg

post-2067-000275400 1275804408_thumb.jpg

post-2067-081048800 1275804413_thumb.jpg

post-2067-003277200 1275804420_thumb.jpg

post-2067-067745200 1275804429_thumb.jpg

post-2067-066915200 1275804437_thumb.jpg

I've just paid £50.00 (about $70.00) for this. It's an IXL, made by Erlich in the early twenties. There are some change-wheels missing but otherwise, like me, it's in excellent condition for it's age. Any comments or knowledge about these machines would be welcome.

post-4999-079555900 1275939466_thumb.jpg post-4999-083937200 1275939479_thumb.jpgpost-4999-005443500 1275939501_thumb.jpgpost-4999-015038400 1275939515_thumb.jpg

post-4999-049129800 1275939532_thumb.jpgpost-4999-014935600 1275939545_thumb.jpg

So I've been keeping an eye out for blacksmith related equipment, here's what I've collected in the past month:

The post vice is 5", pretty decent shape. Post drill has one broken gear, might use it for parts. The blower is very nice, the firepot and forge table are close to junk, unfortunately. All free from my local classified website.

The jackhammer bits were all free from Home Depot, I stopped by my local store and asked them after reading other posts here..

The hammer is 32oz and basically brand new, the file is in pretty good shape just a bit rusty. Paid $7 for the pair.

It's been a good month!

Nice score! If you're going to use the post drill for parts, I'm looking for the support cap that goes on the bottom of the table support bar. I have a champion that looks very much like yours, works fine, but missing that one piece.

It's been a good month!

you mentioned going to the local HD and getting used jackhammer bits? they will just give them away? what just go and ask them for used bits, or what?

you mentioned going to the local HD and getting used jackhammer bits? they will just give them away? what just go and ask them for used bits, or what?

Now you`ve done it Justin!You let the cat out of the bag.

Yes it really IS that simple.You might want to hit the rental places too.Might as well let ALL the cats out. :o

Looks pretty good for the age. So you going to add it to your shop or fix it and sell it?

I'll probably keep it. It's very original and, apart from some missing changewheels it's complete. There's quite a bit of play in the clasp-nut and a lot of lost motion in the cross-slide screw, but the ways are pretty good. I only bought it because it's so pretty. It might be a collector's item.

Hey Sam,
a lot of lathes use brass/bronze nuts on the different screws. In some cases all that is needed is a new tighter nut to remove the backlash. Some lathes also have backlash adjustable nuts. I found a guy in the UK that has tons of literature available for older machines, tony@lathes.co.uk I found him while researching a Sixis 101 milling machine that I have.

Hey Sam,
a lot of lathes use brass/bronze nuts on the different screws. In some cases all that is needed is a new tighter nut to remove the backlash. Some lathes also have backlash adjustable nuts. I found a guy in the UK that has tons of literature available for older machines, tony@lathes.co.uk I found him while researching a Sixis 101 milling machine that I have.

Yes, Thanks, I haven't had a look inside the apron yet, it's possible that there's some adjustment on the clasp nut. The cross-slide screw works directly in the casting and will cost more in time and effort to fix than the lathe is worth (and lost motion isn't all that important). I've exchanged e-mails with Tony Griffiths and he didn't offer any literature; I think it's a fairly rare machine.

It's identical to the Erlich in the pictures at the foot of this page:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/ixl/index.html

Sam, Thanks for that link, I really liked that one picture of the short "line shaft" where he has the "V" belt driving the flat belt three step pulley. Since my LG isn't sold, maybe I'll get healthy and do something like that for LG too. I recently found a small flat belt pulley in a junk pile that may make a workable transition from "V" belt to flat belt pulley to machine. When you get you lathe all set up post some pics. B)

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped at a yard sale on Sunday on the way home from church and bought a little silversmith hammer and two 1/4" cold chisels, $2 for the hammer and $0.50 each for the two chisels. I got the hammer all cleaned up today, still had the original black paint on the head and I cleaned the paint someone had put on the handle off and sanded it, really nice now. It's a Dixon hammer! :P

I just found a great deal!!
A guy in tennessee about an hour and half from me has a propane forge and a hydraulic bender for $50 each.

I'm going to jump on this. I'll post pics as soon as I get some. he's supposed to send me pictures tonight.

I won this lot for $75 in an online bankruptcy auction, sight unseen:

(photo from online auction website)

A guy called me from the auction site and offered to pay me $150 for the table alone. The table has cast iron legs. I accepted his offer, he paid me and removed the table.

As a result, I was paid $75 to take the following:

(apologies for poor quality, I took this picture with a cell phone).

http://igor.chudov.c.../Niles/188n.jpg

A guy called me from the auction site and offered to pay me $150 for the table alone. The table has cast iron legs. I accepted his offer, he paid me and removed the table.

http://igor.chudov.c...thing-Stuff.jpg

Nice kit, good score for $150
Phil

Hey Igor, Nice score. I most likley will not make it up in Sept this yr. Job change screwed up mommas vacation.
Will holler when I am up again.
Ken.