I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Frosty I'm sure you are right. But the wonderful landscape has to make up for a lot. I got to visit a few places along the coast while in the Marine Corps and aboard ship. Went to the ice pack, made port at Dutch Harbor, Point Moler, Adack Island and had 5 days liberty in Jeanuo. It was early April in 1988. The weather wasn't bad and it was beautiful.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I gotta admit the scenery ain't bad, you got that right. In spite of or maybe even especially considering the exploding mountains.

If you ever get up this way again, give me a shout out, we're centrally located (50 miles from Anchorage) for sight seeing, have room, pygmy goats and a shop. Something for everyone.

Frosty

O the lucky ones.

I've been very lucky so far. I haven't paid a penny for my 2 forges with working blowers, and I have a total of $20 into my 2 replacement blowers (the one I just mentioned and a Champion No. 1). I also have $50 into my 4 leg vices.

Almost every farm in the area where I grew up had a small blacksmith setup from their homestead days, and there are quite a few basic tools remaining.

You guys are very lucky I am trying desperatley to find a hand cranked blower for a reasonable price if, as I stated I can find one at all. It appears us Aussies did not use blowers all that much down here forging was either done with bellows or just the hot air that came out our mouths. As for something following me home anything would be better than nothing although I did find a nice srewdriver on the footpath the other day....

Good find on the nippers. Once I was following a fellow that had been working on shoeing some horses and he had left a bunch of tools on his step bumper. So I started blowing my horn at him to get him to pull over. He had nippers, a nail hole punch, tongs and a small anvil. The more I blew the horn the madder he got. Finally we both pulled over and he came storming back cussing a blue streak asking what blank 'n' the blank I want, so I told him. He was so mad he dang near threw the anvil through the back wall of his truck and all of the tools then gave me the finger and drove off. Not even a thank you.:cool:

Posted this last weekend, and just got the time to load some picture's.Got to the meeting and everybody shows up, And this old feller comes in with two huge work table's Said he got a good deal on the two and wants to donate one for Iron in the cup or Auction it off. Everybody decided it would be part of the Iron In The cup.
This table also has a huge vise that come with it.. Myself and other's marveled over the table.. And Boy's I wanted the table bad.. So I bought ten tickets and you get eleven when you buy ten .. so I put all except one ticket in the cup.. The wife also puts three tickets in there. That cup was stuffed plum full of tickets. I wasn't the only one that was trying to buy the table. LOL..
Lord I sure could use that Table, I thought.. But I'm the type that don't never win nothing.
Everything went then the drawing for the table.. The wife has the winning ticket.. Yes I am one happy feller.. I gotta head out to MS.. in a few, But come next week after I get it in , I'll take a few picture's and post them on here.

table_2A.jpg

As you can see , I have already started loading the table up with stuff.

vice_1.jpg

I can't think of the name of the Vice. But its a bigun, and was made in Chicago;

table_1.jpg

Edited by WagonMaster

This table also has a huge vise that come with it. The wife has the winning ticket.

Hate to burst your bubble Tom, but technically you still haven't won nothing and on top of that you owe the wife big time. But all in all a fine score.