I Forge Iron

Wondering what to look for

Hi guys

I'm planning on going for a drive tomorrow hitting some garage sales and flea markets. Just wondering what are some of the things I should look for to practice on. I'm thinking old tools is the main thing to look for and don't know what else that might work. I'm still new to this so I'm looking for cheap metal to practice on.

Any ideas would be helpful 

Flea markets haven’t been good sources of forging stock, in my experience. However, I’ve gotten some deals on old tools, especially hammers and hammer heads, chisels, punches, and files. Remember that most tools can be reforged, so look for “the tool inside the tool”. Most flea market tongs I’ve found to be overpriced and in lousy shape, but you occasionally get lucky. Don’t spend a penny more than you have to, and always be prepared to walk away if you don’t find what you want at a good price. 

Depends a lot on what you want to do or make.  Besides forging stock which JHCC covered pretty well, I look out for anything, tool or shopwise that may be of value in the future.  If it's a flea market I make a pass through and may buy some things but come back before it's over and look for the ones packing up to go home.  A lot of them will drag stuff to the market over and over and will give you a good deal just so they don't have to haul it home yet again.  

Good haul.  If you decide to use the wrenches for forging (e.g. bottle openers) make sure you remove any chrome plating in an acid bath before gettting it hot.  Heavy metal poisoning is not something you want to mess around with.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand.

Ball peen hammer heads; they sell cheaper without a handle and since we are going to put them in a forge.  Most of those look like "using tools? rather than "to be reforged tools".  I did see a couple of adjustable wrenches for twisting hot steel. HSS drill bits are not worth the hassle of forging HSS steel.

In general, and I'm wearing one of Glenn's shirts right now, In Rust We Trust!  Not only do rusty items sell cheaper they are usually SAFER to forge or weld on!

(Of course the residual acid bath qualifies as pretty hazardous waste;  generally I can find old un-plated wrenches to make things from.  Please look up your countries safety requirements for being around "Hexavalent Chrome".  If you absolutely *must* use a chromed piece I suggest having de-chromed by a plating company and let *them* deal with the hazardous waste.)

Guy wanted 60$ for the box talked him down to 40$ for all of it. Most I'm keeping for use and others for forging. Thanks for telling me about the chrome hazards and  using an acid bath I was thinking of sanding it off. I research the best and safest way to remove it. 

I am happy with finding that big plumber wrench

Don't ruin your health fooling around with chrome plated stuff as others have said.  You never know what you are getting into until it's too late, sometimes.  There are other toxic things you can run into.  Look over the safety section on here.  I watched a video on arsenic production in the old days.  Most of those people had no idea of the health risks early on.  That was to earn a living, this is a hobby for most.   Things can kill you or ruin your health and thats why we speak up.  Here you have a red flag system if you read and ask questions. Those tools are a good haul for what you paid.  Use them for the purpose they were made for.  Like Thomas said: In Rust We Trust.

Edited by Nodebt
Remove photo

I heated and forged many items that were chrome plated before I knew it was hazardous. Fortunately I never did suffer from dain bramage.  The forge I worked out of was very well ventilated and the forge chimney had its own exhaust blower.

My forge is in the backyard of my cabin so it's open air. I've researched chrome removal and the hazards and may in the future try to use acid to remove it but not anytime soon. I'm 25 I've got time to search for other things to use in the forge and not risk my health. I do find it funny though my respirator I use for grinding and sanding is graded for use with the acids.

I think you're better off just using the chrome plated wrenches for their intended purposes and search for forgeable steel elsewhere.....dispense with the acid baths and grinding/sanding.  Those wrenches at retail price are worth much more than what you paid for the whole kit and kaboodle.

Remember that just because your own forge or shop is well ventilated doesn’t mean that hazardous materials simply vanish once exhausted. Don’t be putting out poison for someone else. 

On 6/17/2022 at 9:22 PM, Gazz said:

Fortunately I never did suffer from dain bramage. 

Ah, but if your brain was damaged, how could you tell?

;) 

At 25 you should be paying a LOT of attention to A: reproductive hazards and B long term health toxins.  At 65 I don't need to worry about either; but I do invite a lot of young folks to my shop including grandkids and so it behooves me to run it *SAFELY* anyway!