I Forge Iron

Is this a flatter?

Exactly, and we've also had a period where our king Willem was also king of England, so no surprise that there are a lot of word shared or roughly the same. It's always fun to see stuff like that.

~Jobtiel

True, but by 1689, there had been enough French influence on English (following on the heels of a different William) to transform it from a purely Germanic language into the Germanic-Romance hybrid we see today. 

Ye gods and little fishes.

Blacksmith names are based on ultimate simplicity and have changed very little until,, wait for it,,, the internet. 

Considering other countries and smithing tool names, at least in the west, if you translate the same term in 2 languages, they most likely will have the same meaning, 

A set hammer is used to "set down" or finish the inside of a right angle, or any angle, sharp or rounded. Like the transition between square tenon and the right angle face, or a step down from one width to another. Think of it as a fine finishing tool. But you can use it for what you want.

A flatter is, and for good reason, far broader than anything shown here. Think 2" square and up. Why? To blend in surfaces and maximize "flatness", the broader the better. The more gentle the slight radius, the gentle radius of the edges to prevent dings, and the wider the face, the less edges to worry about. Edges make transitions that need to be blended in. think floating concrete, or drywall mud. But you can use anything you want depending on what ya got to get her done. 

A bottom tool does not define its purpose or job, only that it lives at the bottom.  Usually in the hardy hole of an anvil.  It could be a fuller? a flatter? A swedge? 

A top tool does the same except the other end of the pile. It doesn't define its purpose.

Back to the tool. I think a better question would be if you had this tool, what would you use it for, including any changes on the face? I can think of a dozen uses and a few I wouldn't even change the tool face. The one that comes to mind is an off set tool. think latch bar keeper. 

Or it quite simply may be an unfinished tool waiting for the above. ;)

I tend to agree with everything but your "internet" statement. Before my blacksmithing library was "rehomed:angry:" my titles spanned about 300 years and most authors used different names for tools and processes.  The internet only put people from all over the planet in real time contact so the differences only LOOK recent. People living in relatively isolated areas tend to use the terms they learned first. 

I have used my "set?" hammer like that one to close folded lap seams. They come out much more even nice than using a hammer. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 5/21/2022 at 12:00 PM, Frosty said:

most authors used different names for tools and processes.

I think we are saying the same thing, maybe. Names for tools and processes may change, but the primary use of the tool is constant no matter where or when you exist. Lest we forget, there are always exceptions that make the rule. 

I can think of a number of prime blacksmith related fads that show that "I read/saw it on the internet" is totally valid in its implications.  ;)

10 hours ago, anvil said:

exceptions that make the rule

The original expression was "an expression that proves the rule". Interestingly, "to prove" in this case does not mean "to demonstrate to be true", but "to test", much as bakers will "proof" their yeast before using it in dough and as gunsmiths will "proof" a barrel to be sure that it won't break in normal usage. "An exception that proves the rule" means that the rule must be reevaluated to determine if it needs to be broadened, narrowed, understood in a limited context, amended, or otherwise qualified or rejected.

Sadly, as this meaning has fallen from common usage, people have taken to (mis)understanding "an expression that proves the rule" to mean that the mere existence of an exception means that the rule is true, which is really bad logic.

Another example occurs to me: in typesetting, after the type for a section of text has been selected and locked into its “galley” (a kind of metal tray), a copy is printed off to be checked for typographical errors (“typos”). This process is known as “proofing”, and the untrimmed sheets of paper are known as “galley proofs”.

(I just helped wrap up a gift for the letterpress studio in our college’s library; one of the items was a “proofing press” that can print single sheets for proofreading and isn’t designed for making multiple copies.)