I Forge Iron

Photos of spring babies and new life

M.J.Lampert

as spring is arriving people are getting babies be them lambs, goat kids, calves, chicks, etc., and most adorable puppies this can be a spot for people to share those pictures without clogging up other threads

I'll start with 100 chicks that came on Friday

IMG_0385.thumb.JPG.92bd227cd071b01a87694417df93aaf3.JPG

I had a pet California king snake when I was in 9th grade. He escaped from his terrarium so I found a garter snake out in the yard and put him in there. He became pet snake #2... Well, it turns out he was actually a she and I came back to 20+ baby snakes slithering all over the tank.

My dad did not find them very cute and I had to let them go in the woods.

After that I wasn't allowed to have snakes in the house anymore..

Garter snakes like to climb tomato plants and trellised cucumber vines sometimes.  It made picking them for the market interesting.  Snakes eat vermin so they are not that bad to have around.  Except for poisionous ones.  If they are like yellow jackets, I'll be off to the hospital.

On 3/22/2022 at 11:00 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Sorry we are involved in trapping the feral cats and neutering them to decrease the number of cute newborns!

cats are meh for me and rabbits are ugly for the first few weeks we used to raise 50-70 a year for meat

When I was young and foolish, I hunted venomous snakes, for Bill Haast at the Miami Serpentarium. They brought a very good price at the time. One day a feisty large cottonmouth struck my left hand, as I was placing it in my gunny sack. One fang hit me right at the joint of my thumb. Off to the hospital for anti-venom I went and had to wait an hour for my mother to arrive and sign papers.  To this day (64 years later), when the weather turns cold, that joint reminds me not to mess with venomous snakes.

• 1 month later...

Lambing and Kidding season, my favorite time. I don't recall, do you have a livestock guardian dog? Ours used to get just dopey silly about having babies to protect. Don't threaten one of their babies though! 

Frosty The Lucky.

we had one from when i was 1year to 14 a real mix from collie to some great Pyrenees and 3 or 4 others i cant remember and she was the sweetest thing and would take in bumbers and ones pushed off by there mothers. the one we have now is a 3/4 chocolate lab and 1/4 border collie so a lot higher energy also a little over a year so still in training she seams to be ok though

Deb had a border collie, Bonnie, when we married. She was a rescue from an abusive owner and was always really shy especially with men. Border collies tend to be one person or family dogs to start with but Bonnie was a special case. Then we got another border collie cross, Patch, as a companion to Buran our first Pyr and he was a dingbat a happy go lucky dingbat. The only problem having a herd dog watching a goat herd is goats don't take to being herded very well and can be contrary if pushed. A person wouldn't think so but even an African Pygmy, 50lb. keg on legs can butt a 40lb. dog off his feet and carry him 30-40' easily. Patch was up for the game. UNTIL one of the girls drove him into a barn wall HARD. 

Border collies learn quick, even the dingbats. Buran only had to growl at him once when Patch wanted to play with the kids. NOBODY misinterpreted Buran when he warned them off. He'd just stare and emit a nearly sub sonic growl that'd raise every hair on your body, literally. He'd change from the most lovable giant teddy bear to death come calling in a heart beat. Awesome dog. If I had a daughter she'd be handcuffed to a Pyr until she was a legal adult.

I miss the goats, sheep not so much, they're too stupid to be anything but dangerous to handle but I'd take sheep to have a job for another LGD.

Frosty The Lucky.

Just saw this , so I thought I’d add the newest addition to our family 11 weeks old now 

0D8FAAA1-C381-4D93-AD2B-5545E0B3900E.thumb.jpeg.4b7a597971bf08476acb1da6148390bf.jpeg

Mods, the picture may be too large, I apologize, but I couldn’t figure out how to resize working from my phone, please correct if needed 

Thanks TW, we’re very proud, 13 years between the two grandkids we have. I dropped the wife off at the airport at 4:45am this morning to go hold him while I go to the blacksmith conference in Denton 

Well around 9pm Wednesday; my wife was watering the raised bed garden---by lantern light of course and I went out to check on things and heard a "persistent mewing".  One of the barn cats was having kittens on our front porch!   Unfortunately that's the yard that's fenced in for our dog.   Round midnight I let the dog out and went to see if she would bother the kitties, YUP.  Well she should be good inside for the rest of the night and we could see what the morning brings.  2 hours later the dog is barking to go out.  So I put her out,  no interest in going to the bathroom but great interest in mother cat & her litter.  Grrrr So I built an "enclosure" from stuff we had on the porch, by the porch light 20' away and a very tired grumpy Thomas.  That worked and worked for the day we went up to see the grandkids.

Anyway; looks like 5 kittens so far:

KIMG0080.JPG.bb31e3f813bbcbf8662fa217c80d1335.JPG

KIMG0081.thumb.JPG.12d37956d359523f9cd5c1329e223338.JPG

Our old Abby was very protective of any babies and the great pyrenees were fiercely protective. The ferals would leave their litters in the care of the pyrs to go hunt. 

I wouldn't tryst Ronnie our y.o. female dachshund around any small animal especially babies, the predator drive is too strong in her. Anything smaller than she is is prey, her own size or larger might be.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well the birth mess would certainly attract predators.  Don't know that my dog was angry---just very intensely interested and I wasn't going to allow a "face to face" meeting just in case.  The mother cat just came around to our porch tonight to see if we were still putting out gooshy food for her; so we did.  With Morticia gone we have a good supply of canned cat food to hand and my wife is very supportive of nursing Mothers!

Last summer I had a ferral mom cat have a litter in the smithy, 

and I had someone’s blue healer that kept coming over to visit and hang out in the shop, never did find out who it belonged too…

anyways one day that dog heard the kittens mewing an playing so he went to investigate… I told him he’d better stay away but he wouldn’t listen, 

well…. About to 30 seconds later I heard that dog yelpin an he lit outta there a 100 miles an hr! Lol

that old mom cat done tore his face up something fierce, after that he wouldn’t go anywhere near those kittens!